Warning Capsized Boat On The Ant.

Meantime

As long as the crew are all OK, the rest doesn't really matter. No sign of damage in the Facebook images so far, so hopefully Hunters might have it back afloat fairly quickly.

• Like 1

Oh that’s such a shame. I hope they’re all ok and the kids aren’t upset with it all, and worrying about their belongings as kids do. It will have been one of the boats I passed between Ludham Bridge and from where they set off from at Irstead. They looked pretty secure and making good ground. 

• Like 2

Crikey! A colleague (and fellow teacher) is out with his youth group this week on their annual sail. I hope it wasn't them!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Heeled, shipped some water and sunk to the bottom I expect. Unless the keel has fallen off

Even so, this is a hire boat with a much reduced gaff rig.  They take a great deal of sinking!

The keel falling off is about the only thing to cause it, unless they got the gaff caught up in a tree while "running free" .

The last Cruiser I heard of that lost her keel in a race was Queen Mab, a famous yacht of the same class as Maidie, which capsized straight on to the committee boat during a race on Wroxham Broad, carrying well over 1000ft of canvas.

But that was before the First World War . . . . 

• Like 3

It would almost certainly have been one of their half deckers - or I guess so!!

Its not totally unheard of either - today has been one of those days when even I might have stayed ashore!!! Gusts recorded even inland of 45mph and if you were in a Rebel and you were not fully reefed, and had the small jib on, it would have been a handful, and then some!! Gusts, or Rogers as Vaughan might know them as, make gybing very difficult and if you were not fully up to it, and pretty experienced, you could easily get the water over the stern quarter and thats enough to start it off! Sometimes when you are running and you gybe unexpectedly, and if you have all the main out there is a tendency for the mainsheet getting caught under the quarter as it hammers across The warning signs are there if you know them, but if there is a lot of main to get in to control it, and you have to be a bit sharpish at the best of times!! Its never too early to reef should be tattooed on every novice sailors knuckles!!!!

With all the main out and running, getting it caught on a BA mooring post is another way. It will stop the boat dead whilst in reality it will go on - kinetic energy is it and all that???

And Vaughan - classic day for a " Chinese Gybe" and you will know all about those!!!!

• Like 2

The yacht in question took on water in the severe winds today. The crew are safe and sound and the yacht is also now secure. As soon as it has been re-floated, it will be taken back to the yard for further assessment. I hope this clarifies things for now.

Many thanks
Guy Wilkes (Norfolk Heritage Fleet Trust)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

20 hours ago, marshman said:

It would almost certainly have been one of their half deckers - or I guess so!!

Its not totally unheard of either - today has been one of those days when even I might have stayed ashore!!! Gusts recorded even inland of 45mph and if you were in a Rebel and you were not fully reefed, and had the small jib on, it would have been a handful, and then some!! Gusts, or Rogers as Vaughan might know them as, make gybing very difficult and if you were not fully up to it, and pretty experienced, you could easily get the water over the stern quarter and thats enough to start it off! Sometimes when you are running and you gybe unexpectedly, and if you have all the main out there is a tendency for the mainsheet getting caught under the quarter as it hammers across The warning signs are there if you know them, but if there is a lot of main to get in to control it, and you have to be a bit sharpish at the best of times!! Its never too early to reef should be tattooed on every novice sailors knuckles!!!!

With all the main out and running, getting it caught on a BA mooring post is another way. It will stop the boat dead whilst in reality it will go on - kinetic energy is it and all that???

And Vaughan - classic day for a " Chinese Gybe" and you will know all about those!!!!

No it was a cabin yacht!

Hello, I thought I would let you all know that further to yesterday's incident, the yacht that took on water is already afloat and back at the boatyard. The team at Hunters Yard have done a brilliant job at getting it back afloat so quickly. A big cleaning job is now underway!

Guy

IMG20240410140639.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

A report in the EDP has just appeared which notes that Hunters Yard regard it as a drama rather than a crisis.

Marshman has already reminded us of a sudden gust of wind, known on the Broads as a "Roger".

Apparently the boats had been hired by a Christian community group for their annual holiday.

So perhaps, before any more speculation, we can write it off as an "Act of God"?

:default_smiley-angelic002:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

A report in the EDP has just appeared which notes that Hunters Yard regard it as a drama rather than a crisis.

I love that. It's such a Norfolk statement.

All four sailors - who were from a Christian group on a week-long trip - ended up in the water but were helped out of the river by boaters in a following vessel.

Just saving that bit for posterity, so we can tell JP to politely go away when he tries to use the incident as justification for increased ranger numbers. In reality, as has often been suggested, the ranger got there after the fact.

• Like 2