Warning Capsized Boat On The Ant.

Meantime

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Apparently the boats had been hired by a Christian community group for their annual holiday.

Oh crikey! That does sound like my colleague's group! I'll have too see what I can get out of him when I see him on Monday. Maybe it was a different Christian group that has an annual boating trip?

15 minutes ago, catcouk said:

Oh crikey! That does sound like my colleague's group! I'll have too see what I can get out of him when I see him on Monday. Maybe it was a different Christian group that has an annual boating trip?

I hope you can reassure us that they are okay. It seems unlikely that two such groups would be hiring Hunter’s boats at the same time. The fleet isn’t that extensive.

1 minute ago, YnysMon said:

I hope you can reassure us that they are okay. It seems unlikely that two such groups would be hiring Hunter’s boats at the same time. The fleet isn’t that extensive.

Sadly, I agree. It's been reported elsewhere that all are okay but I hope to confirm exactly that!

Just now, catcouk said:

Sadly, I agree. It's been reported elsewhere that all are okay but I hope to confirm exactly that!

By the way, I have a soft spot for Hunter’s boats. Our first ever experience of the Broads was on Wood Violet. Subsequent years we hired a couple of Husters (our two sons on one and Graham and I on the other) and then Lullaby and Lucent. They are all wonderful boats to sail. 

I have a hankering to do more sailing, but we are wary of trying to to do that now that we have two dogs, one of which is rather large.

• Like 1

I will let you know what I was told - probably a load of rubbish but here goes - a boat with its fenders down at sea is tantamount to a lady going out with her rollers in her hair!!!!

Comments please?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

I will let you know what I was told - probably a load of rubbish but here goes - a boat with its fenders down at sea is tantamount to a lady going out with her rollers in her hair!!!!

Comments please?

Do we start calling Griff Enid Sharples then ?

• Haha 2

Point of order  'Enid'  indeed - Get it right man, she was called  'Ena'  :default_icon_rolleyes:

a boat with its fenders down at sea is tantamount to a lady going out with her rollers in her hair!!!!

It's also akin to setting off in you car with the boot / tailgate wide open

On a more serious /safety point, they are raised for safety to stop them getting caught / tangled when underway, same reason the rowlocks should always be stowed away in a dinghy if being towed or under sail

Plus - It just looks 'Proper'

Griff

• Like 5

You'll see me motor out to mudweight with them down, as single handed it's not possible to bring them in safely. Then up sails, fenders in and play. Reverse on completion of sail

• Like 1

It used to be de rigeur for yard workers to always be fenders up, otherwise you'd get mocked off the river. My dad also had a Broom, so the same standards applied. I started out with the role of leading fender attendant, so favour the convention, but I think I'd bend the rules passing up the Ant on a saturday afternoon or similar.

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

same reason the rowlocks should always be stowed away in a dinghy if being towed or under sail

There's nothing worse than getting your rowlocks caught on something :8_laughing:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, dom said:

There's nothing worse than getting your rowlocks caught on something :8_laughing:

Or your pretty summer dress caught in the rowlocks. Picture this.....clamouring out of a dinghy (not the most dignified thing to do at the best of times) getting the hem of your dress caught in the rowlocks, hearing a massive rip. Embarrassment ten fold, dignity zero :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

On the question of fenders, I fear that tradition might well be getting in the way of practicality. I can see the point on a sailing boat where freeboard is often low and the boat is prone to heeling. The sight of the lee side fenders floating in the water would be un-edifying and inefficient to say the least. However on a Broads  motor boat, which is often crewed by just one or two individuals, you really don't want any potential contact with boat or bank to be complicated by the need to drop fenders in a hurry, nor do you want the side decks to be cluttered with raised fenders, which are unsightly and a potential trip hazard. I for one will be keeping my fenders dangling.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

I well remember my father, calling out to a friend on another boat passing, which had a fender hanging over the side :

"Excuse me, but your slip is showing!"

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Or your pretty summer dress caught in the rowlocks. Picture this.....clamouring out of a dinghy (not the most dignified thing to do at the best of times) getting the hem of your dress caught in the rowlocks, hearing a massive rip. Embarrassment ten fold, dignity zero :default_biggrin:

Grace x

Your friend Sarah by any chance???? :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

On the rivers I'm all for fenders down, I'm out enjoying a bit of leisure time not pretending I'm in the navy so lifting just to drop them again shortly after just isn't going to happen, on sea or a good blast across breydon is another matter as flailing fenders are dangerous but on the river if anyone don't like the way my boat looks they can always look in a different direction till I'm gone.

I'm sure the practicalities are different on a saily but I don't have a clue about that flappy stuff.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, YnysMon said:

By the way, I have a soft spot for Hunter’s boats. Our first ever experience of the Broads was on Wood Violet. Subsequent years we hired a couple of Husters (our two sons on one and Graham and I on the other) and then Lullaby and Lucent. They are all wonderful boats to sail. 

I have a hankering to do more sailing, but we are wary of trying to to do that now that we have two dogs, one of which is rather large.

I’ve only sailed one of the Wood class. I agree it is a wonderful boat to sail in most conditions, but in strong gusty winds we found it unsatisfactory. Because the jib is so much smaller than the mainsail (and smaller than on Hustlers or the Lullaby class), it becomes very difficult to control in strong gusts as you can’t use the jib to start the turn as you normally wood, it’s just not big enough. We weren’t far off capsizing at Barton in strong winds (I got very wet bedding instead lol), so they may have experienced a similar problem. If we hire Hunters again, it won’t be a Wood class.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gracie said:

Grace x

Photographic evidence please :default_icon_luvlove:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, olibird said:

I’ve only sailed one of the Wood class. I agree it is a wonderful boat to sail in most conditions, but in strong gusty winds we found it unsatisfactory. Because the jib is so much smaller than the mainsail (and smaller than on Hustlers or the Lullaby class), it becomes very difficult to control in strong gusts as you can’t use the jib to start the turn as you normally wood, it’s just not big enough. We weren’t far off capsizing at Barton in strong winds (I got very wet bedding instead lol), so they may have experienced a similar problem. If we hire Hunters again, it won’t be a Wood class.

That is what reefing points are for to keep the boat balanced. I sailed Wood Anemone for 5 years in a row while at school and never had any issues with the way it sailed. People seem to be reluctant to reef until out of control. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Point of order  'Enid'  indeed - Get it right man, she was called  'Ena'  :default_icon_rolleyes:

a boat with its fenders down at sea is tantamount to a lady going out with her rollers in her hair!!!!

It's also akin to setting off in you car with the boot / tailgate wide open

On a more serious /safety point, they are raised for safety to stop them getting caught / tangled when underway, same reason the rowlocks should always be stowed away in a dinghy if being towed or under sail

Plus - It just looks 'Proper'

Griff

No doubt Minnie Caldwell would agree with you Ena !:default_beerchug: Milk stout anyone ?

You are right of course - boats are designed to actually sail upright!! Newbies like to sail them on their ear and seemingly like all the hard work! If it becomes like hard work, stop and take a reef in - thats what they are for!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, olibird said:

We got into the habit in such conditions of having one of us stand on the bow and manipulate the boom (?) of the jib in the best position the catch the wind. You had to hop about a bit from side to side, and had to watch you knees (don’t want bashed knees!). We were also meticulous about reefing, two if necessary, but I don’t think we went out in winds that would have necessitated three.

Lazy jibs are lazy! Ideal for solo sailing but a p*g in light airs. Crewing my brother in Mayfly I would stand at the bows and back it to pull the boat around on a tack. Strong winds that isn't a problem though on this boat!

• Like 1