Waveney River Centre

Mouldy

Passed the WRC a little while ago.  Their visitor moorings are currently taped off and being repaired or replaced.  They’re also advertising their fuel price on a board by the fuel quay.

IMG_2779.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tingdene maintaining their usual competitive and customer focused service :default_icon_rolleyes:

I visited a few months back to look at boats for sale. I didn't even see a member of staff.

• Like 1

How did this happen? The WRC was such a gem of the South. Now it seems to be a place to avoid at all costs (not to mention their unbelievable fuel prices).

• Like 3

IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.7b9c1d3a73086c32e5c163d429085a5c.jpegWe moored there for a few hours on Saturday to use the pool, we were allowed to moor on the end of the private jetty as there was nowhere else to tie up. We didn’t feel overly welcome ..but had a lovely swim with the pool to ourselves. It is such a shame to see the place changed so much and not for the better, basin full of boats for sale, no yurts and no tents now. Used to be such a good atmosphere there for kids playing with kids camping etc, place was very quiet , had a quick walk around and doesn’t seem to be a shop there either now, real shame as I have many happy memories of staying there myself as a child.

• Like 6

£1.80 per litre, they're taking the milk, you don't even pay that at a motorway service station.

They've never been interested in visitor moorings since the takeover, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't reopen.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, KevinB said:

basin full of boats for sale, no yurts and no tents now

Very sad. I know I'm not alone in having happy memories of the time when the basin was open to visiting boaters. Do they make so much money from private moorings they can afford to exclude everyone else from the camp site as was, the pub, the shop?

• Like 3

waveney river centre used to be good when we first had a boat on the broads some 22 years ago. Remember Tony who used to own the complex and Doug (RIP) who arranged the visitors moorings and Maureen in the shop. Dont go there any more like many of our boating friends.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I remember many years ago being told that the boats ran on red diesel and that made it quite a lot cheaper than road vehicles.

If I am right then what happened????

Jeff

Nothing has changed,  most of us still use red but have to pay 60% at full duty rate but marinas don't have the buying power of a roadside garage due to throughput.

And I have a suspicion ting dene are more in it for sales, boats or chalets not diesel or moorings. 

Shame though.

• Like 1

It's such a shame but I think most of us feared the worst when Len sold up. 

While Len is very much a businessman, he also loved the Broads and I think the WRC concept showed that.

I suspect the numbers stopped adding up. When I last stayed in 2021, I had never seen the place so quiet.

• Like 2

I was wondering if the WRC was still available for visitors mooring. We enjoyed it as an overnight stop on the way to Beccles. Great atmosphere, dog walking field next to the church and the pub was OK. What a loss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troyboy said:

I was wondering if the WRC was still available for visitors mooring. We enjoyed it as an overnight stop on the way to Beccles. Great atmosphere, dog walking field next to the church and the pub was OK. What a loss. 

We went there many years ago, when our son was much younger and went for a swim in the pool.  Back then, it was certainly a decent place, but we visited a few years back and there were folks camping so close to the moorings, they may as well have been aboard.  Not only that, but all along the moorings was covered in goose poo.

I’ve only been back once since, for water and diesel not long after we bought NL back in 2019.  I’m not anxious to return.

• Like 1

Sometimes you can burn a litre or two to save a pound 

Boulters or Sutton for us as both yards seem very fair. We  normally fill up while passing They have a lot of small top ups compared to the volumes used by sea going craft.

I think Lowestoft are very reasonable as well.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I paid £1.31 a litre at burnham at 60/40 split

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

Boulters or Sutton for us as both yards seem very fair. We  normally fill up while passing

Boulter’s and Sutton staithe are my go to places as well. 

As for the price, totally irrelevant in many ways I know, but at Shobnall marina on the Trent and Mersey canal this afternoon the 60/40 split price was £1.21. Full duty free price was 91p/L. 
And their tank isn’t exactly a big one, so it’s nothing to do with bulk buying being cheaper. 

• Like 1

We had to wait for the fuel berth this morning,  when we got called over the figure on the pump was £861, don't panic about  broads fuel usage!

Ours was a mere £184, I wasn't about to fill up as I can get cheaper away from water side but wanted enough to get back and finish the holiday.

• Like 1

and heres me that can fill the 40 litre tank for about £50, and that will easily cover a weeks cruising (normally being based on the south side with its scarcity of fuel supply outlets I bring a 20 litre can from home, though I would be better off filling at a jet garage on the way up the a12.)

• Like 3