Well after much wondering, whittling down boat choices I have booked another week afloat - Mystic Horizon from Horizon Craft at Acle.

21st September for 7 nights and plan on heading south for the start of the week but have no real plan so take it as I find it. 

I say 7 nights but I made a bit of a cock up when I forgot in my haste the following Saturday I’m booked elsewhere n paid up, so shall actually have to return boat back to Acle on Friday – but only miss a night onboard so not end of the world.

Anyway the last time I went south I did not quite get to Norwich – this time I plan to get there and perhaps head up the Chet too which will be a first though I her it can be pretty shallow so knowing my luck I’ll get stuck somewhere lol

Would have loved to have booked sooner but could not afford ‘silly season’ prices. 

• Like 1

Hi Robin. Good choice of boat for late (and early) season cruising. Try to do the Chet. Lovely river and Loddon is a very friendly little town. Only advice is take it slow, not because the river is narrow but its far too short. 

Fred

Yes Robin, I agree with Fred on that, take it slowly!

We've been up and down the Chet several times recently, once near LWS, and didn't have any problems with depth.

I've just had a look too and she does seem a good looking boat at a cracking bargain price!   :clap  :clap  :clap

Edited by Hockham Admiral

I've hired siesta (sister boat from richardsons stalham) so I know she is a very responsive craft, maybe a little cramped in the galley and toilet compared to other boats but she will be perfect for single handed cruising. One tip Robin keep the rear doors open so they don't get in the way when youre in the rush to get ashore to tie up.

You will love the Chet it's my favourite better than the Ant as its much quieter. With your high commanding position on Mystic you will have a better view over the reeds to see what may be coming the other way. I normally travel the Chet at about 2mph just to take in the atmosphere of this magical place. While your down south I'd suggest a trip to Oulton Broad the Waveney is our favourite pub on the broads the food while not being the best we've had on the broads is constantly good, where other pubs (I won't name them) have either been fantastic or over priced rubbish so you can't be certain which it'll be when you visit.

Hello Robin,

Mystic Horizon is a fair looking boat and is ideally suited for the Southern Rivers you will be able to see better over the reeds with that higher steering position.

If you have never been up the Chet up to Loddon you have missed a treat it is well worth the visit the hours journey up to Loddon (not so good in a storm and being wet through).

So many places here for you to eat, you could stop there all week and have meals in the four pubs, café, tearooms and takeaways that are in this small village.

The staithe provides good moorings for around 10-12 boats, there was only one electric post, but this has been increased to three (I have not heard if these additional posts have been rectified yet, they installed them with the card readers facing the water?)so plenty of power for you assuming the boat has a shore power hook up, or do you have your own setup?

The trip above Brammerton is good but watch out for those scullers, they take up a lot of river but are great to see.

We have been all the way into Norwich and you can turn the boat just beyond the Yacht Station, although in the pictures it looks great with the tree lined road but it is very noisy so we have never stopped the night and have usually gone back to Brammerton.

Have a good trip and I look forward to your blogs.

Regards

Alan

Why not if you can get moored , stop off at Hardley Mill for the night.   Good pontoon moorings, electricity.   Nowhere to buy food but we know you can look after yourself in that regard.      You can walk from the Mill and if the weather is good it is really pleasant.   £5 for the night after 4 oclock.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies and tips about the Chet.  I shall have to do that for sure!

I had 3 boat choices around the same price point:  Clear Gem, San Luis or Siesta/Mystic Horizon – I plumped for Mystic Horizon because the boatyard offer a free pick up and return minibus service from the station.

I know the boat is not that spacious, but I like the decent size double berth compared to the smaller v berths on San Luis – and while Clear Gem would be practical and spacious, I would not see much apart from water and reeds when going along.

Now I do need to pop out and get a tin opener I think lol.

Oh and tide times for crossing – depends what your idea of favourable is, it will mean an early start for sure Sunday – sun rise is 06:40 and slack water at Yarmouth is 07:19.  Because I plan on stopping overnight at Stracey Arms, these times are doable.

As for the return, it will need to be a morning crossing but later in week they are all at better times not so early so looking good.

• Like 1

Hi there, Yes , the Chet is definitely worth a trip up, the first few hundred yards are very narrow & winding but you should be able to see ,any boats coming from way off with the higher steering position,  Its lovely & peaceful there, with plenty of trees & birds, and one or two spots for a bit of wild mooring! we didn't fancy mooring at the basin both times we went there, so moored at chedgrave common (think that's what its called) and walked into Loddon, its a lovely friendly village with a few shops & a tea room,

Hope you have a great time... ice slice  ice slice

• Like 1

Hi Robin, when in Loddon, YOU MUST HAVE BREAKFAST IN ROSIE LEA`S TEA ROOM. Seriously though, we NEVER miss a chance to have breakfast or lunch, or even afternoon tea in Carolines, she`s a real character, and all her food is home made and freshly prepared using local produce. We`ve been in there 5 times this year, and will again be going twice in October. Have a great holiday, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the southern rivers.

Regards to all .......................... Neil.

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

When we were there in April, we could not get into Rosie Lee's other than getting to the counter, there is only about 4 tables but they were all full.

After ordering our food we waited on the chairs outside, Caroline gave us a shout when it was all ready, all on china plates covered with tinfoil to keep the meals warm and all on a wooden tray. She even asked us if we wanted it carrying back to the boat. 

We washed all the plates and some time later took them back to the tea room.

Good food and cakes. :trophy

Recommended

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Good choice of boat Robin. I hired similar on the Thames before Le Boat lost the plot and got rid of all their basic boats. I really liked it and that's coming from someone who's obsessed with driving outside! (I just stood up some of the time at the helm and stuck my head through the sunroof.)

I love the Chet to Loddon too (just did it last week). My preferred overnight mooring is Pyes Mill (the first mooring you come to on the left). It's more peaceful than the staithe and it's an easy pleasant walk across the meadow to town.