To Coltishall

llanigraham

2 years ago we had a very pleasant holiday in our touring caravan, based in Coltishall. We have now started thinking of doing something similar next year, but thought of having a boat for a week, and would like to visit Coltishall again.

I understand that there might be a problem with this idea due to the clearance of the bridge at Wroxham. Can someone clarify and possibly suggest a suitable hire company for a 60 year old resonably active couple used to steering a sewer tube?

As NBD run the pilots, a phone call to them may be a good idea too

as to which of their boats will get under the bridge that suit you.

They would take the boat straight through for you on collection day.

NBD?

I presume the pilot just takes you through the bridge?

Strewth!!

... and watch out for us sailors and kayakers Taffy!

:wave

Watch it, mush!! :pirate

We sewer rats bite you know? :Stinky

NBD?

Strewth!!

Watch it, mush!! :pirate

We sewer rats bite you know? :Stinky

NBD = Norfolk Broads Direct.  Yes, the pilot will take you through the bridge.  The pilot is employed by NBD.  They will know which boats will (and which will not) pass through Wroxham Bridge under normal conditions and you can then choose an appropriate boat if you want to make Coltishall part of your visit.  Of course, if you want a day sailing, give us a call.

And watch out for  :River Police 

http://www.norfolkbroadsdirect.co.uk/home

post-14321-0-32195000-1384202220_thumb.j

NBD?

Strewth!!

Just to clarify things a bit...

NBD run the Wroxham pilot service but it is available for anyone to use (at a price).

There is a small waiting pontoon just downstream of the bridge (on the Hoveton side) where you tie up if you want the pilot to assist you.

He then comes aboard, takes the boat through, and then jumps off at the viaduct moorings just above the bridge and then you are on your own.

Coming down river you stop at the viaduct moorings and give him a call on the phone and he will come to find your boat 

(either walk up or when he jumps off the next boat he brings through)

Many of the hire yards insist that you use the pilot if you want to go through Wroxham bridge.

Some of the yards have done a corporate "block booking" and the pilot 's fee is included in your hire charge

for some of the others you have to pay the pilot yourself.

The upper stretch of the Bure from Wroxham to Coltishall is, I think, one of the prettiest stretches on the Broads

and well worth the pilot fee to get to.

Just to clarify things a bit...

NBD run the Wroxham pilot service but it is available for anyone to use (at a price).

I don't think they take private boats through but I wait to be corrected.............probably by BBill who knows everything about Worxham!

What is the problem? Or is it that too many hire boaters are bloody useless?

Three things.  1.  A lot of Broads boats are a lot taller than canal boats.  2.  The Broads are tidal, even up at Wroxham/Potter Heigham, and the amount of clearance under the bridge varies with the state of the tide (and actually the direction of the wind).  3.There's also a current that you won't have encountered on the canals, which rushes closer to the bridges and can catch out the unwary.

No, it's not impossible for a moderately experienced person to take a boat safely through, but a lot of boat hirers lack that experience, and the boatyards like to protect their investment by encouraging (or insisting on) the use of the pilot.  If you choose to take a hire boat through unaided, and do have an accident, the boat insurance may be invalid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhNOhI9BHMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k42YfTsXM

• Like 1

Being a sewer rat, that bridge looks no lower than a lot of canal bridges or tunnels. (especially Harecastle!!)

What is the problem? Or is it that too many hire boaters are bloody useless?

One of the main problems is that the tunnel part of the bridge is askew and this does cause problems, Graham.

The pilots take boats through with as little as an inch or two clearance and a lot of very experienced privateers would be loath to do that. So I think your comment about hirers is rather unfair; many are first-timers and do try their best. Everyone has to start somewhere!

As Martin says above, lots of hire firms insist you use the pilots as fibreglass and old stone tunnels don't go together too well.   :naughty:  :naughty: :naughty:  

• Like 1

When I first started cruising on the Broads I thought it would be fairly easy after years or Canal Boating holidays, how wrong was I, so much to learn and still learning 13 years on.

A lot heavier narrow boat tends to steer itself into the entrance of a bridge or tunnel the weight of the boat and the narrow entrance of the bridge tends to suck the water from under the boat to aid height clearance but makes passage slow.

As already stated on the Broads tides and wind effect passage through bridges we should be thankful for the Pilots at Wroxham and Potter Heigham.

Sadly these bridges un-passable in our boat, but if we wish to go beyond these we rent a day boat.

Regards

Alan

I don't think they take private boats through but I wait to be corrected.............probably by BBill who knows everything about Worxham! 

And Wroxham too Matt..... :naughty:

The pilots will not take private boats through for insurance reasons.

I was talking to their manager on Saturday morning and asked if there

was any chance of that changing and he said it had been talked about

but was too much of a risk. I keep trying!!

I'm happy going through at 6' 9" on the gauge by the bridge with our

air draft at 6' 7" exactly but you do have to line the boat up dead square

to it and that means pulling over towards the Hotel on your way upstream

but not much chance of lining up early coming the other way due to the

'S' bend! 

I`ve taken a wide veriety of boats through Wroxham bridge, and only had one incident , where i forgot to take down the tv ariel down when coming back downstream the next morning.  It made quite a substantial noise when it landed in the aft cockpit.

There`s nothing to worry about going through Wroxham bridge, but i would advise doing so AGAINST the tide, as this can be used as an "emergency brake" if you`re not too sure. Going against the tide also gives you a bit more steerage, and will meen you won`t  get swept into it.

As has been pointed out above, it`s easier going upstream with the bridge approach being fairly staight, but when coming downstream, the bridge is askew, and can catch out the unwary, which is again why i would recommend going through against the tide. Once through, you`ll get a real sense of achievement, and will have something to tell on here.

Regards to all .................... Neil.

The 1st time I went through Wroxham bridge the pilot explained he couldn't take my boat through, however, he did ask if I would give him a lift to the other side and talked me through the whole thing, lining up with the key stone, speed etc. Having done it the once it made it a lot easier.