Wroxham and Potter Heigham Bridges

SueH

On our June trip we are hoping to spend most of the time in the Northern Broads.  It would be pleasant to get as far as Coltishall having not been up there since we hired Star Gem more years ago than I would like to remember.  I expect that the area has changed dramatically since the RAF moved out.

Are there pilots for these bridges nowadays, and will they provide the service for 'private' boats?

Weather permitting MS should manage to at least get under the two Wroxham bridges with a 'following wind' and the canopy down.  I'm not as sure about Potter.

I remember seeing a clip, somewhere, of Broads Ambition going through Wroxham (or I think it was) backwards.  The skipper was more brave than we are I think.

SueH

Yes there are pilots for both bridges, not sure but don't think they take private boats through. I think the only boats getting under Potter nowadays are the little day Boats, we have'nt been under for a few years now which is a shame, would love to get up to Hickling again.

Also hired Star Gem a couple of years ago, lovely boat.

Grace

I don't think they do take private boats through,or non hoseasons boats either, we usually hire from george smiths at wroxham ,& the people at the boatyard said they would'nt take us through, & that we just had to usr our noddle & be careful when going through. Lori

I can say that the Pilots at Wroxham Bridge will not take

private boats through at all.

Since NBD took charge of the service, they will not do it

because of the cost of insurance for when things don't go

according to plan. :eek:

I know the pilots and the yard manager and that came

from the 'horses mouth' so to speak.

As for Moonlight Shadow, she has an air draft of 6'10" with

everything down and will go through easily at 7'. (I had a

similar boat until 2yrs ago.) Mind you, you have to be

dead centre to do it!  ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks for that, BB. I knew we'd get a definitive answer eventually!

Friday Girl's posted air-height when we bought her form Barnes Brinkcraft was 6' 9" (and a warning not to go under the bridge with less than 6' 11" showing) but we gradually took it down an inch or so at a time and we've now several times been under at 6' 6". 

When we were stuck on the Coltishall side a couple of years ago with 6' 3" showing (and not likely to get much higher for some time) we asked the Pilot his opinion and he said that if we got it dead-centred we'd probably make it.......... we did but wouldn't do it again!  :bow :bow :bow

Thanks BB.  That saves me looking through the manual for MS.

I agree about the centre and 'gently gently'. 

HA.  We cannot afford to be stuck the other side, so will have to keep a beady eye on the tides etc.

SueH

As far as Wroxham bridge is concerned, id always recommend going through AGAINST the tide, obviously with enough clearance. I`ve steered all sizes of boats through Wroxham with the only casualty being a tv ariel which "somebody forgot to bring down?".  I`d particularly recommend going under Wroxham bridge, because there are excellent very peaceful and picturesque moorings beyond the railway bridge on the north bank, which is a 2 minute walk to Wroxham and Hoveton. Theres also the chance to mudweaight or moor to the trees in Bridge broad to do some peaceful fishing. The run up to Coltishall has to be one of the prettiest and enjoyable stretches of river on the broads, and if venturing all the way to Coltishall, it IS possible, though i`ve yet to do it, to continue to the now disused lock beyond the common, where some good moorings can be found, and you are also very close to the village store (if it has`nt closed?). There are some who say it`s too weedy, yet others have said they`ve got to the lock with no problems whatsoever, so it`s your choice.

As for going above Potter Heigham bridge, yes it`s very peaceful, and there are ample moorings to be found all around, with the exception of Hickling, where the moorings in front of the pleasureboat get full, and there`s very little alternative elsewhere, unless you head back down river. There`s very little chance to get provisions, as there are (unless anybody knows different?) no shops any where around, the one in Hickling village having been closed some years ago. The Windpump at Horsey mere (National Trust) is well worth a visit, with excellent views, and photo oportunities, from the top platform.  The dyke off to Catfield may be worth considering, but is narrow, and may require some careful boat handling (turn on ropes by hand?) at the public moorings, Forumite "Paladin" will be able to tell you more. Again, these waters offer good fishing, so wild mooring on one of the banks will offer peace and quiet, as well as good fishing.

On a personal note, please look after moonlight Shadow, i may soon be a member.

Regards and best wishes to all ...................... Neil.

Have to agree with Neil, the Coltishall run is beautiful, we often moor up at the little mooring on the way, I think it's the church mooring, apart from the River Ant it's my favourite place, one little word of warning, keep an eye on your temp gauge and check your weed filter often, more than once I've have to stop to clear the weed filter, the weeds get chopped up by the boats a lot and it's even worse is the weed cutter has been about, if you like wildlife you'll not find any better than the Coltishall and River Ant runs,,

Frank,,,,, 

• Like 1

When we last went through wroxham bridge the water was up, & i did'nt think we could do it, we got the bridge & a rangers boat was at the other side &waved us through , but i chickened out & made neil take it through & i could see the ranger laughing at me, but we only had a few inches to spare, & i'm always wary about taking boats through bridges, when it's other peoples property, & i think everybody should, it's just a pity that some of them you see on utube don't, & find it funny, which i don't. I ALWAYS respect other peoples property. Lori

Thanks BB.  That saves me looking through the manual for MS.

I agree about the centre and 'gently gently'. 

You're welcome. What I will say is that 'Gently Gently' is not the way to do it.  :norty:

You need good steerage for any narrow bridge and although it is so tempting to

go slowly so as not to cause any damage if you do 'touch' the bridge, you are

more likely to do it going slowly through not being able to keep her straight! A fast

tickover(if MS still has the Perkins 4108) will give a good enough 'way' for the job.

As for what Neil says about tides, there is very little tidal flow at Wroxham under

normal conditions so that's not a problem, and I do agree about the moorings

upstream of the bridge and the scenery. Take it slowly and enjoy.

When we had Avalon which was an ex Brooms hire boat, 'Supreme Commander 1', I

measured her and she came out with an air draft of 6'8" exactly, hence the bridge

passage being easy at just under 7'.

With our Sheerline (6'7") I do it at 6' 10" and getting lower each time. I will say that

the gauge board next to the bridge is a bit on the generous side :rolleyes:

I forgot to say, we moor in Wroxham hence the info being accurate.(Unless something

has changed since Christmas)

Lori! thirty years I've been going under Wroxham in different boats and I still get nervous every time, even more so in the last few years as no-one sounds their horn now when going under, and one of those pilots is the worst and should know better, I always take a wide berth to the left when approaching to go under to the Wroxham side, and coming back I stay well over to the right, I make sure it's clear sound my horn and go for it, but last year three times while we were moored at Wroxham the same pilot pulled out from the pub moorings, approached the bridge at speed on the wrong side and never sounded the horn to warn anyone, twice there were near misses, if I see the same thing this year I'm reporting him, it's the same young pilot every time,

Frank,,, 

Frank. Report him!! They know better and should show an

example to others.

Yes, Iv'e been caught out by him a time or two but not to

the point of a near accident so you are not alone.

I rarely hear the horn being used by anyone and those that

do just give a quick 'beep' instead of a 2-3 second blast to

warn others of your approach. A quick 'beep' could be mistaken

for a car crossing the bridge and needs to be different!

Sorry, rant over  :wacko:

Our first ever time onboard Evening Shadow we pulled out of the basin and turned left and went straight under the bridge-we just wanted to get it out of the way! Been under several times at 7 foot and I reckon there must be a good 6 inch clearance all round. However from what I recall it rarely went under Potter.

We went under Potter Heigham bridge in a "Merrymore" which is identical to  Moonlight and Evening Shadow, and Bills former boat Avalon, so at ccorrect tides, Potter is no problem. The real problem is not water levels rising, but the old stone bridge was built hundreds of years ago, and is gradually sinking on its foundations, so getting the correct tides is getting more difficult year after year. However, if you CAN get under there, it`s well worth the trouble, as there`s a lot of waterway, with very little traffic, except for dayboats and yachts that is.

Regards to all ........................ Neil.

My only concern about going through Potter is getting back, I've know of a couple of boats getting stuck that side for a couple of weeks before getting back under, it's not only tides there, but the rain fall off, if it absolutely poured today it can be a couple of days before it affects the levels, as Neil points out, it is nice that side but I don't even risk in my Hampton 25 these days,,,,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

My only concern about going through Potter is getting back, I've know of a couple of boats getting stuck that side for a couple of weeks before getting back under, it's not only tides there, but the rain fall off, if it absolutely poured today it can be a couple of days before it affects the levels, as Neil points out, it is nice that side but I don't even risk in my Hampton 25 these days,,,,,

Frank,,,,

Imagine having to make that embarrasing phone call to your hire yard when have to report that the next hirers will have to pick the boat up from Martham or Potter Heigham?,  not good.

Regards to all ....................... Neil.

Frank,,,,

Frank, Hi

I'm sure I remember reading about some 20 or more Herbert Woods workers boarding a boat (in their break!) so that it could get back under the bridge.   :clap :clap :clap

When we had a meet at Beccles some time ago (Neil was helming) we took the "salties" to Geldeston Locks on the Sunday and the 15 or so extra passengers certainly lowered the air-height considerably. You can clearly see this as our fenders usually sit 3-4 inches above the water! 

post-146-0-84275300-1393228933_thumb.jpg

(And, yes, they all did bring their LSJ's!)   :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

We went under Potter Heigham bridge in a "Merrymore" which is identical to Moonlight and Evening Shadow, and Bills former boat Avalon, so at ccorrect tides, Potter is no problem. Regards to all ........................ Neil.
Personally I think you would need to be very lucky to fit under.