Waste on the Broads,how short sighted ?

Boaters

Can you believe it just as the peak season is about to start they withdraw the Broads waste collection bins .When they took away the bin in South Walsham bags of rubbish were left all along they bank and path .Now there are two large green bins in the car park up the lane.Elswhere we are told to take it home ?!?!?,!!!? .Very angry Roy .

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/rubbish_ped_1_3654242

• Like 2

Hi Roy,

We raised this issue on the 6th June with a link to the report.

To remind you please see:-

The only thing the concerned councils will save is a line in their accounts at one level and a far greater cost further down the accounts for the cost of removal of fly tipping.

Regards

Alan

Sorry Alan did not spot that post,I've just read that it is assumed all bins have gone so the problem will appear to be even worse.,some people on another place ,were complaining at South Walsham that there was no where for rubbish but the bins in the car park were there last night.this maybe a different authority ? How about Horning,Wroxham ,Colltishall has any one been there in the last day or so?

Where am I going to put all my empty Scotch bottles? Maybe I'll write a load of notes, put them inside the bottles and float them down the rivers. :naughty:  :naughty:

On a serious note, a family of 4 eating on the boat, will have plenty of full plastic bags that they will want to get rid off, before they smell.

Bob! I don't think anyone objects to cost cutting until it affects them directly then the guns come out, the problem I see with this bit of cost cutting is not that it affects just the locals but the whole of the Broads and the people that use it from all over the country, with it putting some people off using the Broads because what I've read no-one wants to carry their rubbish on board for days on end, we have already started to see the results of removing these bins, the litter bin by the bridge at Potter was full and surrounded by black bin bags plus all the other places already posted on the forums and I'll bet if you speak to anyone local to those areas they will say we knew it would happen, all to save £15000 a year, I'd love to see these so called cost cutters expense accounts for a year, I'm all for cost cutting if it makes sense and is cut in the right places and actually saves money, but this in my opinion will cost them a lot more than £15k, they are trying to save because someone has to clear it and guess what it will be the council who if they are anything like ours here in Suffolk will send out a Lorry and a two man team on a full time clear up job, the system of bins we had have worked well for as many years as I can remember, you have always had the odd one that will abuse it and use the bins as a fly tip, but it worked, I know the point they are making is Domestic waste and Commercial waste and I think there is more to it than just cost cutting, Is  the waste from the bin stores and the hire yards any different the answer is no! apart from the fact they charge you to take away rubbish from the hire yards because it's classed as commercial, when we had our Café we had to pay for our rubbish to be taken away because we were commercial premises, but it was exactly the same rubbish we put in our bin at home the only difference being the Café one was emptied once a week and the home one every two weeks, Perhaps they are trying to get the BA to fund the rubbish removal cost! I don't know, but the more I read the less the whole thing makes no sense to me,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

If it is anything like a council I used to work for they are likely to arrange " a meeting" to discuss the problem.

The result of that meeting would be to arrange a date for a meeting to discuss the problem in depth.

This would probably result in a third meeting having to be arranged because someone could not attend the second meeting.

The third meeting may result in a committee being set up to investigate the problem and report back to a meeting yet to be arranged.

In order to carry their directive the committee would probably have several meetings and sight meetings (gets them out of the office for a few hours)

A meeting would then be arranged to discuss the committee's findings.

Unfortunately this meeting would be late in the financial year so a decision would have to be deferred until the new financial year and everything would be started again.  Hey Ho! 

Someone in the Treasurer's Dept then reports that the meetings they have held so far has cost in excess of £15000  !!!!!

• Like 2

"I don't think anyone objects to cost cutting until it affects them directly."

Actually I do. So called 'cost cutting' really means cuts to a whole range of basic services that are at the heart of a decent society, and can only lead to a deterioration of the quality of life and the environment in that society.  We seem to be heading to something of an American model in public services, i.e. a lack of those services, and to what the late, great, John Kenneth Galbraith once referred to as "private affluence and public squalor".

Bob! I meant that remark as a general term so please don't take it personaly, do you care if they cut back on your bin collection where you live???? no brainer! of course you do, the same as me or anyone else, do you care if they cut back on them in London or somewhere up North? I doubt it because it doesn't affect you or me, we may say what a shame or say it's disgusting, but in all honesty I don't think many people really care unless it affects them it's human nature,,,, 

Frank,,,

All credit to you Bob! but when you get people getting boob jobs free on the NHS and free Taxi's like the one in the paper, while women with breast cancer have to wait or a cancer patient can't have the medicine they need because it's too expensive or they live in the wrong area don't you think we've already regressed past the point of no return?

Sorry Roy! I seem to have high-jacked your thread,,,

Frank,,,,,, 

• Like 1

Maybe this is a good reason to go and visit great yarmouth... Does anyone have the address for the council offices??.. We can all fill up the buns in their lobby... they will soon get the point... 

(Bloody stupid though if you ask me.. surely its £15k well spent (to keep collecting) and surely it will cost alot more to collect the flytipping that will descend... )

It will only get worse, the old adage is that we are never more than 6 feet from rats (this is somewhat misleading) I am not talking about the smaller water vole. Any build up of rubbish will encourage vermin, be it rats or gulls which will scatter the contents of any bags over the deposited areas.

Regards

Alan

Alan, I read an artical about so called mutant Rats that are imune to all the common Rat poisons, and Norfolk was well up the list for then, i,ll see if I can find it again but i,m sure it was something like 70% of the rats here are mutant ones, with all this new rubbish and the way they breed, it,s not going to be funny, a mature female can produce 2000 baby,s a year,,,

Clearly, the biggest cost factor for waste disposal - above vehicle running, maintenance and staff wages, is the cost to dispose of the waste in landfill.

I cannot speak for others, but my local council (Dartford) issue three bins - two wheelies and a crate.  One wheelie for non recyclable, one wheelie for recycling and one for glass.  We don't have a garden waste of food waste collection, but I do have a compost heap and am more than capable of disposing of my garden waste (for free) in the local recycling centre.

So, why are we not encouraged to recycle when on holiday?  What is wrong with varying our eating habits slightly to cater for a lack of 'home facilities'.  By this, I mean why can we not purchase raw ingredients that we know will produce the least amount of 'smelly' waste.  Buy meat fillets, rather than on the bone, which has to be disposed of etc.