Moving to Norfolk

Gracie

Hello Everyone

As I have said before our dream is to one day move to Norfolk, I know our newest member Peter (JM) lives in Oulton Broad, my understanding is that he has lived there most of his life but have any other members actually upped sticks and moved to this beautiful place.

Any regrets or something you wished you had done years ago? 

If or when it does happen for us it won't be for a few years at least until our family have flown the nest, be really interesting to hear some stories though

Grace

• Like 1

..... have any other members actually upped sticks and moved to this beautiful place.

Any regrets or something you wished you had done years ago?

I moved to Norfolk 14 years ago after taking early retirement.

I was born in London and lived and worked there for most of my working life and would have loved to move to somewhere like Norfolk sooner, but alas the opportunity never arose, even less so after starting a family.

It all depends what each of us want out of life.

I don't remember ever enjoying anything about city life and wish I'd been lucky enough to have been born somewhere like here, but I guess there are some people that may feel the opposite.  (poor misguided souls)  :roll: 

I never made it to Norfolk, I'm about a mile the wrong side of the border! As I sit in my front room I can look out of the window and see the house that I was born in, right next door. I moved from one side of the fence to the other. Albion & Ardea, the so called Norfolk Wherries, were also born besides Oulton Broad, which I reckon makes them Suffolk Wherries, and me a Suffolk bloke.

Thank you Admiral, Strowager and Peter for your lovely replies, can't say the same about the others lol

I love it when a thread descends into chaos with the usual suspects involved, complete nut cases the lot of you :kiss

Grace

• Like 2

:wave hi grace, i think the most important thing you,ve got to think about when moving down norfolk, is the river levels & flooding, as certain places do tend to flood regularly, so you,d have to think about what car you,ve got, as we went & made our abit poorly lol when we left wroxham one time & tried to take another route down a lane & nearly floated the car, as the puddle was erm, more like a lake, & we had trouble with the clutch nearly all the way home, Oooops, lori  cheers

• Like 2

......... i think the most important thing you,ve got to think about when moving down norfolk, is the river levels & flooding, as certain places do tend to flood regularly, so you,d have to think about what car you,ve got.......

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of Broadland rivers suffer from very little flooding, compared with places near the Thames and Severn.

Although the lower reaches of the Southern Rivers do flood occasionally when the sea is exceptionally high off Yarmouth, the rest of the system, especially the Northern rivers very rarely floods.

I've lived here for 14 years now, and there have been some very high tides from extremes of weather, even one a couple of years ago that was said to be almost as bad as 1953.

Yet even then the number of flooded roads and properties are very few and far between, just some of the actual riverside properties themselves.

I'm surprised you had a problem with a flooded road near Wroxham, I pass through there almost every day, and apart from a dip in the road under a railway bridge in Green Lanes on the back roads to Postwick, I've never come across any flooded roads.

(oh, and Ferry Road, Horning, but that's almost tidal now ! :) )

Hi Gracie. Simple answer is just do it! I moved from Essex to just outside Norwich 16 years ago. We now live in a different village, but still only 15 mins from the city, 5 mins from Brundall and 35 from Oulton Broad. It's very central to the Broadland area, has a pub, a station, and a Spar shop. What more do you need! I certainly wouldn't go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you move to the Broads, then where would you go on holiday?

aha, that's the blessing (and the curse).

I used to venture down to the west country every year, and since moving up here, I've only been back down there a couple of times...  :)

You wouldn't want to venture down here at the moment!  Typical summer holiday madness on the motorways.

I love where I live - the vibrancy of the city, the culture, the shops PLUS the boats, the harbour, the coast less than an hour's drive, beautiful countryside ditto.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Broads, but for me it will always be a holiday destination.

We have been visiting the Broads since 1974 and alway thought we would settle there at some point in our lives. I intended to retire early if I could, and that did happen, but we are still in the Midlands. There is a hell of a lot to consider, well there was in our case, we talked long and hard over many years prior to my early retirement and fully intended to live in Norfolk, but we have a family and Grandchildren which we adore and would miss them so much, we see them on a daily basis as it is now. I am also involved in a hobby situation, and the Midlands is an ideal situation  for it. That said we were still set on leaving, that is until one day Jackie said, the only thing is, is that it will be no different if we live there. It was that statement that made our minds up, and that was to stay in Leicestershire, which we love by the way living surrounded by beautiful countryside, we have our family and friends on hand BUT, we can come to Norfolk whenever we want to, and having the boat we have a second home there. We feel we now have the best of both worlds. We can be there in just over two hours, have a week in Norfolk and a week at home, not a bad compromise I think you would agree. I know people who have moved to Norfolk and have loved every minute with absolutely no regrets, I also know people who moved and regretted it almost instantly. We were chatting to a lovely couple in the grounds of the King Head in Wroxham only a few weeks back, if you look at my last video you will see them in the garden. They moved to Norfolk I think twelve years ago, they love it, BUT their Daughter has not spoken to them since and they have no contact with her at all, very sad. So Gracie, there is a lot to think about before you make your decision, but if you do as we did, take your time, I am sure you will make the right choice when the time is right. Good luck.

• Like 4

Yes anyone considering a move should consider all angles and it is a wrench.     Saying that I would not go back down to Kent for all the tea in China.    Crumpets we have family in Singapore,  these days with Skype etc it is not the same as in days gone by.    As for someone not speaking to a person because they have moved,  well what a narrow minded way of thinking.     I am sure the couple who moved up here will live a darn sight longer than where they were before.  

We are lucky and live in a lovely part of North Suffolk which borders the River Waveney , good shops in all directions , near to the boat, slower pace of life, brilliant medical facilities.  

If you are retired and do not have work commitments it is wonderful.   Ok it takes you forever to get anywhere but that is a bonus I think.

On balance and if you can do it,  then I would vote 'yes'.