I heard and then saw a thing of beauty this evening...

Timbo

While the Mrs hunted for waffles...they are on special at Lidl...I sat in the carpark by the side of the Trent in Gainsborough, car window down trying to get some breeze when I heard the distinctive high pitched scream of four Bristol Olympus Engines! The sound of my childhood.  I shot out of the car like a bullet and looking up ...there flying at low level, following the Trent was the most beautiful aircraft (IMO of course) in the world... a B.2 Avro Vulcan!

• Like 6

When we first moved from Balby out to Westwoodside, the new house sat just below the brow of the hill with RAF Finningley in the distance straight through the living room windows. Finningley air display would consequently take place with many family members that just happened to 'drop by' to visit turning their chairs to watch the display. I can still remember my Grandmother commenting on 'how graceful those planes are, look how they are so close together in formation, and how slowly they move'. At first I didn't react to this until I realised that the air display had finished some hours ago, and looking out of the window three scruffy looking crows were doing a tour of the back field.

Don't get me started on the Finningley UFO's though! :wacko:

One of my earliest memories is a Farnborough airshow back in the 1960's, when a Vulcan did a low level pass over the runway then stood on it's tail with reheat on.

All sorts of other planes had been past, but nothing compared with the volume of noise and impression of power.

Strange though, their only active "action" was right at the end of their service, when one of them bombed the runway at Port Stanley in the Falklands.

For anyone interested in them, I can thoroughly recommend Rowland White's book, "Vulcan 607", which is a detailed factual account of the whole mission. It was later followed by a documentary where many of the actual flightcrews  gave eyewitness accounts. Two Vulcans were supported by 17 Victor tankers in a very complex mission to refuel them all the way from Ascension and back again. The run up to the mission is an amazing account of re-equipping the planes for air to air refuelling with parts appropriated from museums.

A very moving book and documentary that explains how much of a long shot the mission was, and how brave the pilots and crews were, facing a much less than even chance of surviving, though they all miraculously did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vulcan-607-Rowland-White/dp/0552152293

post-195-0-22739100-1406869161_thumb.jpg

Back in the day, when i was an apprentice at RAF  wittering, we had a "PAN" which was solely for the use of these planes, during nato exercises,so every now and then we had a visit from 2 or 3 of them,always thought they looked like they were going to drop out of the sky due to thier large size and slow low level flight capabilties, drive past the night watchmen at Raf Waddington 3 times a week ,brings back memories :wave

When Concord was nearing the end of its career one flew low over Oulton Broad, more particularly the road that I live in. The pilot's mother lived nearby. Concord came in low and slow, until the pilot lifted it's nose and gave it some welly, what a finale!

On another occasion I was a licensee at the Waveney River Centre and the Red Arrows used to perform over Oulton Broad. In order to make a dramatic arrival at Oulton Broad they formed up over the WRC and then hedge hopped over the marshes to Oulton. That in itself was pretty awesome and later that evening the whole team dropped in to apologize, and a very good night it was too. The following year rather than just form up they came in low and then stood up on their tails, after burners on and went high. The pub more than shook, incredible! I can quite understand Strowager's comments about other aircraft in similar circumstances. The two incidents that I have highlighted have stood out in my memory as clearly as if it had happened yesterday. 

• Like 1

When I was in the air cadets I had a week camp at RAF Waddington,

One morning at 3:00 I thought our accommodation was going to fall down, as it was shaking like mad, and the noise from outside was the loudest roar I have ever heard.

They were doing a taceval (tactical evaluation) exercise with a 3 Vulcan scramble.....

:Stinky

I used to work with British Aerospace in Saudi at the end of the seventies, when they were running RAF LIghtnings for the Saudi Air Force. Now that was another piece of brilliant British engineering and the noise on reheat was LOUD.

The funny bit..... I was blessed with the chance to go up in a 2 seat Lightning trainer, after it came out of 'deep service'. Well, I got suited and booted and away we went. It's a memory I will never forget and for all the wrong reasons. The pilot (who I knew personally) threw it all over the place and I emptied 100% of my body's fluids out of all 3 orifices. When the ground crew helped me out of the plane, I was an absolute wreck and they just laughed.

• Like 2

The Concorde was seen at a regular rate here in Ayrshire at Prestwick Airport, the pilots were trained up here, perhaps the "Admiral" saw them when he flew into Prestwick? We played golf with the crews. One of the chief engineers of Concorde was brother of our Club Captain at the time. I remember the test planes doing circuits around Ayrshire think 1969/70. A graceful aircraft, but very noisey!!! I went through one once, and there sure was very little room in the cockpit. The seating close together also.

A little bit of history... before Prestwick was an Airport it was used as a training place for WW1 and WW2 pilots, the old runway or part of is still there next to a Golf Course. The airfield was called Heathfield, later called Redbrae.

Just down the coast Turnberry was also a busy place for planes, its old runway is still used at the Open Golf, when played there. Both for landing choppers and other side of the road at the course as a car park.

Nice to diverse occasionally from the Broads I think.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

During my working career I was promoted to a Regional Manager, one day standing in the yard of our West London Depot with the Manager I looked up and excitedly said to him "quick look it's Concord", no reaction?

It suddenly came to me that he sees it all the time, I felt a right idiot.

Well off topic now!

When Concorde was doing flight trials she was flown quite frequently up and down the Bristol Channel. I was a Hunter Pilot at RAF Chivenor in those days and we used to compete to see who could get the closest gun-sight pics of her, some were very close... definitely non-PC, H&S or anything else... but it was good fun!

And yes, we did our training to at PIK. We used to stay in the Ayrshire & Galloway pub in Ayr... what a place that was! It certainly trained the young crews into HeavyLift ways!  cheersbar

• Like 1

You have reminded me of when I lived in Bahrain with Mum and Dad ,   Dad was in the RAF ,   I had bounced in from school for lunch , sat down and spouted quite without any hesitation that it was good to see the Vulcan Bomber this morning and was he aware it did have a (cannot remember which ) an A bomb or an H bomb on it.       My father , who was extremely straight laced and never spoke of anything about work at home, nearly fell off of his chair and demanded to know where I had got such information from.       I just said it was something we had all discussed as kids in the playground.    We did go to school at the base.    

Out of the mouths of babes and all that.   I never did find out if it was true or not.         However,  from time to time Dad did go to Christmas Island and I never knew why he went there either.

Mo

• Like 1

I agree, the most beautiful aircraft ever built (IMHO).  We saw her last Saturday at Yeovilton Air Day.  Such presence and in our area the majority of the people stood up to watch her.  Nowhere near as much interest in the other display aircraft!

I am a member of the Vulcan to the Sky Club and this is a charity that gets a lot of donations from our household.

It reminds me of when they retired the fleet.  I was on duty at Upavon (when it was till RAF and not taken over by the Army), and the shift stopped and went outside when one did a fly-past over the camp.

The Vulcan 607 book is most definately worth a read, we bought it in hardback as soon as it was published.

SueH

• Like 2

Strowie, did you see the recernt TV documetary on the Vulcan raid? It was very good I was particularly fascinated by the logistics of refueling, the refueling fleet had to be not only large enough to Re-fuel the Vulcan but also to re-fuel some of the Tankers to carry on the Journey to re-fuel the Vulcan and Takers to carry on the Journey etc  and get home. As you say it started at 17 tankers and was gradually whittled doiwn to 1 I believe.

Just ordered the book, if you haven't seen the Doc, you must look out for it.

dave cheersbar

I did indeed see the documentary some time after reading the book Dave.

I found it quite emotional in places, particularly when the returning Vulcan caught sight of a Victor tanker just before they were going to ditch. To hear the experience directly from the guys that really thought they were about to die was one of the most moving I've ever seen on TV.

I wish I could say more about the Vulcan, because it was an amazing plane.

A little story of the lightning that I witnessed personally:- The Saudis had just got a delivery of the American F5 and they stood the 2 of them on the runway, with no extra fuel tanks or extras......

The F5 took off and at 10,000ft, on max climb. the Lightning let the breaks go - when the F5 was at 20,000ft....... the lightning was at 30,000ft!!!! That's how good it was!!!

• Like 1

"Nice to diverse occasionally from the Broads I think."

Agreed Iain as I have said elsewhere, it is a strength of this forum that we can do so.

"we used to compete to see who could get the closest gun-sight pics of her, some were very close... definitely non-PC, H&S or anything else... but it was good fun!"

Hi John, In my CAA days I was involved with an incident, we used to call it an Airmiss, when the civvy pilot was convinced two Tornadoes were targeting him deliberately.  Now we know for sure! ;)

You lucky person Dave I wish I was offered a flight in one, I'd snap your hand off.  In my time in the RAF it used be said that only beauty queens and VIPs got flights in these aircraft and with respect you are not a beauty queen. :)

I've chipped into the Vulcan funds for a few years now with a regular monthly payment and the odd lump sum.  From what I've seen from the website 2015 is going to be the last year of flights.  Great shame.

I also liked the Victor, the Lightning and once of the best looking airliners ever to grace the skies in my opinion the VC10.  The VC10, the military one, could also make that howel, similar to the Vulcan when taking off; we used to get a fix of engine noise at Changi as it cranked up and then thundered down the runway, you could actually feel it.  Those were the days.

Keith cheers

Wow, what a fabulous thread.

Karen and i had Monday and Tuesday off this week, Monday saw me breaking my back digging tree roots out of the front garden, while Tuesday saw us driving up to Yeovilton RNAS museum (sorry we missed you Sue), and noticed the Vulcan was still there on the other side of the airfield. I remember my Brother Trev telling about when he came down here (Dorset) in the late 80s to stay with my Aunt, and went to the Portland Navy day, which included an airshow. He said the Vulcan did a low fly past and stuck its nose into air with full re-heat. He could feel the vibration all over, and he said it set off car alarms, made children cry, and a few adults worry, but it was one of most spectacular sounds you could think of.

As for the Concorde, in the Yeovilton museum, they have G-BSST aka Concorde 002 test flown by Brian Trubshaw on pemanent display. We looked on board, but being one of the prototypes, she`s stacked full with test equipment, with only a handfull of seats for the flight test crew. you can see into the cockpit, but can`t gain access due to a perspex screen, but even though i`m average hieght at 5 10, even i could`nt stand up straight, and wondered just exactly how the pilot and first officer could gain acces to their seats. The most bizaare things inside are the 2 escape hatches, one midships of the main cabin, the other just aft of the flight deck. I lnow the one at Duxford has a different shaped escape hatch, but just imagine having to bail out of a Concorde?, probably non survivable at over 600k?.

As for the E E Lightning,  For my Birthday this year, Karen took me to the Air museum at Tangmere, just east of Chichester. While there, i was having a look at one of their smulators, when one of the (retired) volunteers came over and offered me the chance to have a go, which i took up, then he asked if i`d like to fly in the Lighning simulator. This simulator is a genuine cockpit section of a Lightning, liked to a computer, with a screen in front of you. After i`d made a pigs ear of my flying attempt, i found out the volunteer was actually a former pilot who used to fly Lightnings. Needless to say, i walked away amore than a bit embarrassed at my poor attempt.

It`s amazing to think that Britain once led the way in aviation, but now all we play is a minor supporting role, so it`s a great shame that such great aircraft as the Vulcan will not be flying for much longer, and the Concorde (which if still flying and not been killed off due to politics would be flying for another 20 years) and the lightning are no longer seen in our skies.

Britain has made many of the finest aircraft in the world, and some of them can be seen at the Duxford (Cambridge) air museum, so if anybody is on the Broads, it`s well worth the trip down the A11 to Cambridge for a visit. I don`t think you`ll be disappointed. The only thing i`m disappointed about Duxford is not having been there enough.

Regards to all ........................... Neil.

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

yes, most definitely. Karen and i went to the Flixton Air museum while staying in Suffolk in May. They`ve got so much of interrest, with a large selection of planes in a small area. It`s also behind a pub, so you can go in, then come out and have lunch,, then back in.

But the most amazing thing about this museum is that it`s absolutely free to enter, leaving you to make a donation of your choice if you want to.

A very definate yes vote from me on this one, and as you say, a slight detour required, or if stopping in Beccles, take the bus or taxi, it won`t take long..

This is a really good thread.

Nice to read all of your Aviation anecdotes.

I remember see the Vulcan when it gave it's last display with the RAF at Biggin Hill. Truly Iconic.

Aviation is one of my other passions. :clap

I worked at Biggin Hill from sept 92, to July 98. Only once did the company give us free tickets. The rest of the years, all the tickets went to the directors who took thier friends. We used to go into one of the village shops and bought them for about £3.50, with a gate price of £9.00. Had we applied for discount tickets through the company, or directly through the event organisers who were based just round the back from us, they wanted £6.75. The company did however let us park in the company carpark for free.......... Big deal.