Broads Love Affair

Gracie

Hello Everyone

Following on from Andy's thread about the Wherry at Oulton Broad and rather than hijack his thread I thought I would start a new one.

As most of us on here I have a complete love affair with the Broads, my favourite thing in the world is to wild moor or mud weight. One day we will get to moor at Johnny Crowes Staithe and when we do I swear I am not moving for the whole week (been trying to bag that mooring for years).

My question to you guys is, where are your favourite places to moor and any special reasons why?

Any places you absolutely hate and would never moor at? Yarmouth for me

I love looking at the beautiful houses at places like Oulton Broad, I believe our new friend Peter (JennyMorgan) lives at Oulton Broad, Sir would you please marry me lol

The best thing in the world is sitting outside our hire boat (from Richardsons of course) watching the sun set with a glass or two of wine and staying up until the early hours just listening to the water lapping and the wild life

Be lovely to read others ideas of heaven when they are on the Broads, whether your local or holiday makers, boats or land based, sorry but my husband and boys are out and there's nothing on the tv lol

Grace

• Like 1

Hiya Grace,

You've sort of hit on a thing that we would like to do that is mud weight for the whole week, without going on land at all.  We would have to plan well, something we have never really done and we mostly wing it.  First night, Saturday, would have to be Surlingham and then take it from there and work our way up to Salhouse and back perhaps.

So if I may climb aboard your thread and see if anyone can come up with any ideas for a route, for a week of mudweighting.  Perhaps we could stay South for the whole week and then do North the following year.

Firstly though we need to find someone to borrow our dog :dog:  for a week and you are right about TV it's chronic.

Keith (we'll be having a few of these this evenig cheers ) :)

• Like 1

I have never even thought about not going on land for a whole week, what a brilliant idea, so if some one would also like to borrow our boys for a week, please feel free lol

Keefie, I too will be having a couple tonight, got my girls coming over cheers 

Grace

• Like 2

Mr Jenny Morgan is spoken for Gracie. :) Anyway I'd worry about wedding a bloke called Jenny lol

I like the plan Keith, but Missie Leigh may not approve of being borrowed, otherwise it's perfect timing as your willing crew could put her feet up. :)

• Like 1

Its very hard to narrow down to one favourite place Grace. I love Ranworth Staithe both the bussling activity and the scenery. I've always avoided mooring for the night there for fear of noise which is a bit silly really. I intend to put that right when I'm on Broadland Wave 2 in early October. I've always loved Cockshoot as well, Langley Dyke, Bramerton, Coltishall, Salhouse. . . .

• Like 2

Good topic Grace!

I refuse to overnight at "Norwich, Yarmouth and Oulton".. yuck yuck and yuck! (We have before and ropes have been untied .. stuff thrown at the boat, windows hit late at night).. I would moor maybe if there was overnight patrols, I just don't feel safe there.  I don't like mooring (and I'm not really a snob!) at what I call the council estates (disclaimer:! I lived in a council estate for 23 years), by these I mean stern on moorings where you are so close to the neighbouring boat that its like being in a tower block! (Beccles is nice and quiet although It really irritated me this year when someone moored right next to us although that's because kids where swimming in the water when they arrived).

We always aim to moor on a mudweight or wild moorings.. Salhouse, Ranworth (malthouse), surlingham are all really special places to mudweight moor, the upper reaches of all rivers again are really nice to stay!

When we stayed up there for 3 weeks on year we really didn't leave Salhouse for a full week and geez you can unwind in a week!

• Like 1

Our fav mooring is under a tree up passed Horning, like been on a race track at times but good fishing. downside no tv no networks.

So far we've never had to stern on side by side.

On the week with no land, topping up with water night before returning to Stalham @ Barton turf. Another boat was looking at where to fill up with water so help him out to find they'd been out a week like us and had just run out of water (cozy).

• Like 1

Hi Grace,

Our favourite spots on the Southern Broads are Loddon, Bramerton Green, Reedham Ferry, Surlingham Broad and Beccles.

On the Northern Broads our preferred spots Womak Staithe, South Walsham Broad, the green at Stokesby and outside the Hotel Wroxham.

I totally agree with you regarding relaxing at the end of the day with a tipple or glass of your choice and watch the world go by.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We had our mooring at a Ranworth for 11 years, still my favourite. We were quite close to the Staithe and were disturbed by noise about twice in all that time BTW.

Nose in reeds anywhere is nice, South Walsham on the mudweight is pretty unbeatable, especially when we sometimes have woken up to find swallows using our pulpit rail as a breakfast club; flying off after insects and coming back to chat. :) on one occasion I sailed the dinghy into the inner broad at about 7 am in light airs; a marsh harrier flew beside me over the reeds, close by and low. It didn't notice I was there for a while, and boy did it look surprised when it finally did!

• Like 5

Last year on the last night of our holiday we mud weighted on Barton Broad (never done that before), it was the most beautiful night, we took the boys for a row in the dinghy, as the sun set it became quite misty and almost had an eerie feel, Nelsons ghost could have appeared at any moment and it wouldn't have bothered me at all lol. 

I have never felt more relaxed and calm in my entire life, will be doing it again for sure

Alan, Womack Island is a huge favourite of ours, managed to bag it a couple of times with no other boats, I don't mean to seem anti-social but it is rather nice to be away from the crowds sometimes.

Grace

• Like 2

There are two lovely moorings not far from Beccles.  One is private - it was £3 to moor last time we were there (an honesty box on the fence), the other is a small inlet on the other bank with a couple of convenient trees.

I agree with JawsOrca about Oulton but there is an inlet on the starboard side a short way along Oulton dyke which is one of our favourite places to mudweight.  I, too, love Bargate (which is what I presume other people mean when they mention Surlingham), although, it seems to have become a little too popular recently.  Brundall Church Fen is also a favourite, with a lovely walk through the woods up to the main road.

In the North, Black Horse Broad is probably my favourite mooring, Ranworth is far too.busy, even for mudweighting so we tend to use South Walsham instead.  Having said that - if you can get in,  Perci's island is great if you want a bit of peace at the moorings, but like plenty of entertainment.     

We love some of the wild moorings on the Ant between How Hill and Irstead. Bargate is also a favourite but was spoilt last year by some one arriving late. In the dark and mooring next to use with their music very loud. When I say dark it was after 10.