Ferry inn Horning

Can we be very careful when replying to posts to indicate which pub you are now referring to as there are two Ferry Inns being discussed now and at least one other   :(

Can't see a problem.  Most posts refer to the Horning Ferry, as per the original post.  Those that mention the Reedham Ferry do so by its full name.

• Like 1

I think most people vote with there feet or in the case of moorings there boat.Many people will pay 5 or 10 pound per night money back if you spend in the pub.The ferry at Horning does a good trade in the summer,most of which are holiday makers in hire boats.I however will not return unless the service and food improves.As for £20.00 moorings fees,I think you would be hard pressed to get anyone paying that kind of money

Ian

Hi Steveo

Your story seems the same as ours a group of fisherman came in after us and yet were served before us.As a chef with over forty years in the business,you do need to keep every one happy.For sure keep the locals sweet but a pub on the river will need the trade of holiday makers happy.Therefore if you charge people £10.00 to moor all be it refundable at the bar poor service and food , sooner or later you will lose trade.

We have always found the Ferry Inn at Horning to be a take-it-or-leave-it sort of place. it seems to waiver between the 'good' and the 'below average' markers. The staff are rather pleasant and the pub's position is perfect for a drink at the riverside but I just can't quite put my finger on where it goes wrong (in our opinion only of course) sometimes.

Whatever its failings and strengths, having the Horning Ferry in its current incarnation is massively better than seeing the place boarded up as it was a few years ago. That was a tragic time IMHO. :(

• Like 3

Has the adopted heron come back to the pub, it used to walk around the tables looking for choice titbits, many times it would stand only a couple of feet away from you, unlike the ones you see that fly off has you get within camera distance.

I agree with all said, love or hate it, it is better to have it opened rather than closed as already said.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Not sure if it's the same one but we did have one rather adventurous Heron earlier this year who decided that, as one of our party was having fish for dinner, a chair should have been made available for him so as to facilitate his joining in the repast. With the very sharp and pointy business end of a Heron at extremely close quarters, his 'request' was quickly granted and a suitable reward of fried cod was soon placating him. :)

When I look at these birds closely, for me, it is easy to see the connection between some current birds and prehistoric pteranodons.

• Like 3

Hi Rincewind,

If it was at the Ferry then more than likely it would have been the same one, it is the only heron that I have seen do this on the Broads. When it was not at the pub it would sit on the port side of the river about two hundred yards towards Horning from the pub.

Herons always look as if they are wearing a morning suit complete with tails, the tatty looking ones suits however have seen better days.

Once mud weighting on South Walsham Broad we were lucky enough to see a heron teaching its young how to fish.

Regards

Alan