Ferry inn Horning

Saturday Carvery 13.9.14 as pulling into the moorings we are greeted by a bloke selling the mooring fee of £5 till 5pm this was at 1.30 pm  so as we were going to eat i thought we would get the fee back but no they have stopped doing this so you pay to moor pay to eat a below parr meal carvery looked good but all the veg looked like it had been there past its sell by date how long does coliflower cheese have to be out to be burnt by the keep warm lights same with the carrots  nice black edging to them  staff from the eastern block as well so wonderfull so for 1 pint of wherry 1/2 fosters  2 carvery and a mooring fee £27.75 total  for 45 mins parking well wont be selling me anymore   

• Like 2

Last year when we were looking for a new boat,we decided to try the ferry Inn at horning.It had been raining most of the morning,but the sun came out.We went in and asked the waitress if they were serving for,yes she said but i don't have a menu yet.When was this a busy summers day, no Feburary ,a little later we got a menu.We ordered then waited and waited,then I noticed a group of about ten fisherman came in after us and we served before us.I asked the waitress why they were served before us,oh sorry but they had already booked.As for the food there was lots of it but it was not very good.

Will we go back no.

Mooring fees don't really bother me (especially if the mooring maintenance is the responsibility of the pub), but I think some of it should be refunded if eating there.

I wasn't overly impressed with The Ferry last time I went, cant remember if we paid to moor or not.

Hi Kadensa,

We have never had a bad meal in there, we have stopped for lunch & overnight. The showers/toilets for boat users out of hours is a bonus.

I would not moor on the poor staging after the Ferry but outside the pub and before are quite good. A word of warning never try to moor in the small inlet it is very shallow.

I could watch the ferry and all the people using it all day, sad I know.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

That Does not sound very good, we had a excellent meal at the Horning Ferry early July.we Did not use the moorings, but spoke to a family who were moored there, they did get a refund. Must add we Did not venture near to the Carvery. The service was slow but that Did not bother us too much.

Ferry Inn at Horning used to be a regular stop for us.

Always found the staff very friendly and polite....we mostly go for sunday lunch / carvery but have both noticed the food seems less tasty than it used to be.

Only travel there by car now due to far to many bumps and scrapes being had whilst moored outside.

I think Acle Bridge have got it right. You pay a fiver for overnight and get a full refund if you eat in the pub.

Absolutely spot on!

I had occasion to speak to a holiday maker who had moored up intending to use the facilities there for a meal and drinks  that would have been at least a family of four  covers and drinks to go with it probably around £50 - £60 minimum. he was immediately approached for his mooring fees  and was told that there was nothing off the meals or drinks. result  he decided to moor overnight but shunned the pub and the grub.went and got some cheap booze and some fish n chips  guess who lost out there.   not the holiday maker

If i recall correctly most if not all the pubs on the broads charged a small nominal mooring fee for over night mooring only. this fee could be reclaimed on a meal or you got your first round of drinks free up to the value of the mooring fee. To charge a boat £5 for the privilege of mooring up and another £5 for stopping over night is outrageous and frankly smacks of pure greed.

If people are worried about takings then maybe service levels should rise so repeat business is generated . The service i give to boaters and anglers has been such that probably 10 % of my business this year is from returning customers that i helped out last year. and also their friends who have been informed of our presence.

Bottom line is  this holiday maker felt robbed and stated he would never be returning there  ask yourself if you were in his situation how would you feel?

Maybe the way to increase turnover is to offer a better friendlier service and ensure repeat business and in time gain a larger customer base rather than turn over a quick buck and alienate holiday makers no one is saying dont charge a nominal fee but give a service in return for it or a discount . im sure trade would increase and people would stay in the pub for an extra drink.

just my thoughts guys n girls

• Like 5

Every time I have been in the Ferry there seemed to be more foot and car trade than boat - overpriced beer could have a severe effect on that and local regular trade that the pub will rely on out of season - if it was my pub I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart that said I wouldn't want to pay for the upkeep on the waterfront and have someone in a boat eating spam and egg butties washed down with Tesco's finest bitter for tea taking up valuable potential mooring space ?

£20 is not a lot in cash terms in a pub these days and if it was my pub the in season it would be £20 a night to moor after 5pm fully redeemable over the bar

Finny

• Like 1