What do you think?

I assume you`retalking about the dog thing Peter?.

Personally, i`d prefer to eat where there there are no dogs, but it would`nt bother me if there was a very well behaved dog in a pub or restaurant. We were sitting adjacent to a middle aged couple in The Yare on our last night on Lightning last month, and the dog was well behaved, even when another one came in.

I do agree with SOME of the journo`s comments, but in some, he did come across as anti dog, which would explain some of his rant. Some times though, you have to tolerate things that you don`t like, as there many be a good reason for them.   What if it was a guide dog, or a "hearing dog"?.  Sometimes it`s best to just "let sleeping dogs lye" 

I`l get me coat ......................

• Like 1

I've heard of guide dogs for the blind and hearing dogs for the deaf...

What I need is a thinking dog for the stupid!

As far as the article goes, I'd rather be in a pub with dogs and their owners than one with kids and their parents any day. If a dog misbehaves itself you can raise an eyebrow and the owner will immediately apologise.

When a kid misbehaves, if you raise an eyebrow the parents look at you like you're filth, the scum of the earth. Their little cherubs can do no wrong!

• Like 5

Dear Mr Downes.

Please let me know which pub/cafe/restaurants you frequent, as I would not want to be in the same one as an over opinionated so called journalist.
I presume that you are not a dog lover.

Frankly, I don’t want to encounter journalists anywhere.

I want to play football on the park with my children without having my picture taken for the local rag, or have my children harassed by a journalist crossed with Satan.

I want to emerge from the sea without the paps snapping my Speedos.

And I want to walk through towns and cities without tripping over leads  from journalists mikes.

Getting them out of sight and out of mind is clearly unrealistic. However, it’s not too much to ask that they be put down.

These days, there is a quest by pubs and restaurants to be all things to all people. Dog-friendly, child-friendly, baby-friendly, pensioner-friendly. But hopefully not journalist friendly.

I’d prefer places that target a significant market for not letting journalists spoil the enjoyment for diners or drinkers.

I’m OK with a cage outside, with a post to tie the journalist to. But that’s as far as they need to go.

Best regards

Geoff Miles

Dog and cat owner, pub, restaurant and cafe customer.

:Stinky 

:naughty:  OOPS did I hit the send button.....

• Like 1

Who knows maybe he had a bad experience.

As Dave said there are good and bad dogs and owners.

Maybe the journo has done a good job. Be a bit controversial and spark a debate- he has done that whether you agree or not.

I am not a lover or hater of dogs. But I have friends who have them. And to be honest I don't want to be licked or slobered over all the time.

Likewise when I am out and a soggy beast comes lumbering up to me I am not in the mood. I Don't want to play with your dog.

I also know people who have been attacked by dogs and are scared of them. Saying "oh he won't hurt you" doesn't cut it. Accept people have fears.

Maybe he had a bad experience last week and decided to write about it.

Well behaved then fine with me (but what is well behaved?).

Like a lot of things in life a few rotten apples spoil the box for the rest of us.

And kept off the kid subject. For now !

on a lighter note,

We spent an evening in the Bell at St Olaves, had a few beers and a good meal......

Went back to the boat, as OH was getting undressed for bed, I said I would give Lady (our dog) a quick walk.

I asked OH where her lead was, as it was not hung on the door where we put it while on board....

Then, oh s...t. I ran back to the pub to get her from under the table, where she had laid while we were in there.

Another family were sat at the table and were totally flabberghasted when I walked up to them and said....

Do you mind if I get my dog...

It took another 10 mins to get out as the children sat at the table stroked and cuddled her

I must admit that I would not be impressed if I were to go into an eating or drinking establishment and be met by a dog or any other type of animal wanting to share the space with me.

How can the owners of such establishments expect to get 5 stars on the door when they allow this to happen. There must be a hygiene element to take in to account somewhere! 

For the record, I am the very happy owner of 1 dog, 4 cats and a hamster but would never dream of taking any of them to a restaurant or pub.

• Like 1

on a lighter note,

We spent an evening in the Bell at St Olaves, had a few beers and a good meal......

Went back to the boat, as OH was getting undressed for bed, I said I would give Lady (our dog) a quick walk.

I asked OH where her lead was, as it was not hung on the door where we put it while on board....

Then, oh s...t. I ran back to the pub to get her from under the table, where she had laid while we were in there.

Another family were sat at the table and were totally flabberghasted when I walked up to them and said....

It took another 10 mins to get out as the children sat at the table stroked and cuddled her

Blimey Geoffers,

Next we`ll be reading about "donnygeoff" standing for parliament?. although Dave "the clown " Cameron did forget his kids, and you only forgot your dog.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I will answer your question with a question

Why do hospitals ban smoking anywhere within their grounds?   If a smoker is in the car park area why should he/she not be allowed to smoke as they are not in an enclosed work area?

This type of "official" ruling has always baffled me.

Jeff

Dogs, kids and journalists? Surely Peter has started the King of all threads?

I have no problems what so ever with dogs in pubs or eateries. A few things I would exclude:

kids after 6pm
Vegans
Groups of women drinking copious amounts of alcohol quickly (Minge drinking I think is the technical term)

Mobile Phones
The Great Unwashed
Journalists

Politicians

Vocalists singing to backing tracks

I think it would be easier to make a list of what I would allow...

• Like 1

on a lighter note,

Perhaps they were more flabberghasted at your half undressed, getting ready for bed appearance, the kids probably have nightmares!

• Like 1

We were in the pub at Coldham Hall a few years ago now, along with our four daughters. They had a 'no kids after nine o'clock rule', fair enough and nothing about dogs though. We ordered food just after seven, as did several of our friends, also with their children, and dogs. No food yet but at nine sharp the landlord asked those of us with children to leave, actually insisting, even though we were still waiting for our order. Well, sod him, we bagged up the kids and set off for our boat, followed by the best part of thirty of our friends, and dogs, we were all part of a sailing club meet. Landlord came running after us, your food is ready! Hard luck says us, you eat thirty odd meals, and off we went to Surlingham Ferry where we were all welcomed, dogs and kids alike! The following summer the then landlord went bankrupt, no tears from the rhond folk, hardly surprising. We had tried to support him. Pubs catering for the holiday trade, especially families, need to be flexible.

• Like 3

I see nothing wrong with kids and dogs in pubs as long as they are well behaved, although I accept that some parents would turn a blind eye but my boys would be marched straight out if they misbehaved while eating in pubs.

Timbo, you wouldn't have wanted to be in the Swan Inn (Horning) a couple of years ago on a May bank holiday, me and five hens were having a few drinks with our pink sparkly hats on Lol, we did behave ourselves though, well kind of  :naughty:

Grace

Hi Dave,

I will answer your question with a question

Why do hospitals ban smoking anywhere within their grounds?   If a smoker is in the car park area why should he/she not be allowed to smoke as they are not in an enclosed work area?

This type of "official" ruling has always baffled me.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure how official that policy is, our local NHS hospital has a designated smoking shelter.

Unfortunately people still abuse the privilege and smoke outside the area.