Good news for local pubs?

Fantastic result, I watched the debate on TV yesterday afternoon.

I think it will more level the playingfield Peter rather than disadvantaging free house operators. It should mean thàt Pubco tenants can make decent living at last and also sell us beer on the same terms as the free houses i.e. not having to pay at least 50% more for it!

• Like 4

I suppose that could be a risk Martin but I suspect allowing tenants to retain more of their individually generated profits from sourcing beer elsewhere and by being able to retain profits from catering initiatives without consequent rent increases should mean they actually keep the pub and the landlord merrygoround will end. It has been the many short term tenancies that have appeared to make the pubco's actions in disposing of pubs and change of use seemingly economically sensible! This should suit such folk as those who have recently taken over at Rockland Broad.

• Like 1

If a person runs a business with 'x' profit and along comes an authority reducing that profit from one aspect, that person will automatically attempt to regain that profit by other means.

If rent is controlled by "Market forces" and those market forces are the ones who have all suffered that loss of profit, then ALL those market forces will recoup said profit in the same way, Thus it follows that by increasing the "market force" valuation all profits lost will be regained within the guidelines formed.

To be honest, I don't think this new 'amendment' will make a gob of spit's difference!

• Like 1

Considering the fact that i have an allergy to alcahol, it does`nt really affetc me,  but i wonder if these pubs who can now buy beer etc at a more competative price will be able to cut the costs of food?. It`s one area where extra profit is made to offset the excessive price they have had to pay to buy in their stocks of alcahol. Now that WOULD afeect me.

Any help for pubs is good news.Gone are the days when pubs would be full every day(mainly with men).There is so much choose yes supermarkets have cut into trade,drinking habits have changed.Well run pubs seem to do well in the right location.Some pubs suffer from a lack of custom due to many factors,many can be helped if they diversify.Recently there was an item on look east looking at the cross keys at Dilham,converting part of the building into a small shop,others offered food for pet dogs!

The main point I can see is to catch as much trade as possible.When i was younger there were pubs on easy corner,often packed,why have things changed?Drinking habits,supermarkets,smoking bans etc.In truth it is perhaps a bit of every thing.I have been a chef all my life.Like many chefs of my age i have had to change.In my early Life working in hotels we cooked for the well off,working people would eat at the weekends mainly on special occasions.Now people will eat out more often.habits and times have changed.Not so long ago there was only five channels now there are hundreds.To underline my point as I write this I am drinking my supermarket wine,last Thursday In the pub at the 02.I really do hope pubs survive,they form an important part of British life.

Ian

• Like 1

Pubs, to be honest, yes, they have been a part of my life. Constant swearing, smoking and ridiculously unaffordable beer prices finally put paid to my regular drinking days. Today it's quite possible to find a pub where swearing is thankfully rare and the smoking has been banned, apart from those laughable e-f*g dummy things, and food rather than booze has become the draw. It's now rare that my wife and I go pubbing just for a pint, a good pub group, there are a few, or food being the criterior.