Parcel delivery

grendel

This morning I went to my parents, when I got back I was doing some odd jobs round the house, I just happened to look into the garden, and spotted a bag on the path near the back gate, strange I thought, thinking it must be some rubbish. When I got there it was a parcel from a clothes company, and was addressed to my daughter.

I was horrified, just the thought that a delivery companys standards were so low that they just chucked a parcel into someones back garden with no thought as to the consequences - or if it would be found, I dont even know how long it has been out there as I didnt even look out there yesterday, and all week it has been dark when I left for work, and dark when I got home.

I will press my daughter to contact the company and put in a complaint, as I for one think that the delivery drivers behaviour is shocking.

Grendel

not sure who the carrier was, my daughter will be putting in a complaint, no note left to tell us it had been delivered (though she did get an email notification it had been delivered). fortunately the package remained sealed and her new jeans were ok.

Grendel

Hi guys , just a heads up on this topic especially this time of year ,,, there is a scam going on that the royal mail have confirmed which involves a card posted through your door saying that a parcel was tried to be delivered !

Please phone this number starting 0906 which is premium rate costing a minimum of £350.00 pounds just to listen to the recorded message , this scam started in Belize , stay vigilant ,, sean

Hi guys , just a heads up on this topic especially this time of year ,,, there is a scam going on that the royal mail have confirmed which involves a card posted through your door saying that a parcel was tried to be delivered !

Please phone this number starting 0906 which is premium rate costing a minimum of £350.00 pounds just to listen to the recorded message , this scam started in Belize , stay vigilant ,, sean

There's another "parcel delivery" related scam via emails.

You get a bogus email from a parcel courier saying they have a parcel for you and you "need to fill in the attached document" to receive it.

It's been around for several years now, but they get more prolific at Christmas.

I recently caught a Yodel courier trying to force a package that obviously wouldn't fit through my letterbox.

I was in at the time and she didn't bother knocking or ringing the bell.

I complained to the company that i'd purchased from but suspect thats as far as it went

David

David that sounds very familiar.     Not of late I have to say since hubby went out in Rottweiler mode one morning after the person, we have not had any problems.  .  We have a porch but the porch has a safety chain on it.    This particular day , without ringing the bell , we heard the safety chain being yanked off of its screw base to enable this lazy whatsit to put the parcel in the porch.     It was obvious we were at home at the time.  

As we had inherited the safety chain from when we purchased the property,  I hasten to add , hubby immediately purchased a far stronger safety chain on said door.  

It is my understanding that most companies state that on their leave in an alternative place , nothing will be left in recycling bins.    Well that knocks that one into tin hats , doesnt it. 

Worst delivery company (as far as I am concerned in my part of London) is Yodel!

It acquired Home Delivery Network which was just as bad but the list of problems I have personally had with them is huge  a couple of recent ones have been:

A card being left though the door – not completed other than ‘parcel behind black plastic’ – looking for what this could mean in my front garden was left clueless as only ‘black plastic’ thing is the wheelie bin and it was not behind or in this, I called them to be told actually the item was back at their deport awaiting re-dispatch so I arranged for it to come the following day.

The following day I get an email saying my parcel has been delivered – great I think they must have come when my Dad was in and he signed for it.  I get home, but no there is  another card – filled in with a bit more information on it this time, I had the date of delivery added and now ‘parcel left with neighbour’ – which neighbour? I tried those to our left but was not with them, so I went to the house to our right – and can you believe as I walked up their path is saw by their wheelie bin a grey plastic bag poking up from behind the black plastic composting box they leave out next to their bin, and my parcel was behind this!

But I have had them come to deliver larger items like an oil fired radiator – no door bell ring, no card I just get just an email arrive on my phone saying something like ‘we tried to deliver your item today but nobody was able to accept delivery’ and what I should do to re-arrange delivery. They might be wonderful people in other parts but whoever my pool of drivers are that deal with this area are shocking!

Yes Robin ,   my old Mum is in a residential care home,  Yodel had the cheek for over 7 days to keep putting on the tracker - unable to deliver as no one there,    the Home is open 24/7 , 365 days a year, there is always someone there.       The truth was it had never been out for delivery in the first place.

We have had problems with Yodel in the past - one of the drivers actually swore at my wife!! He complained that we didn't have the correct address on the parcel and when my wife explained it was the correct address if he read the first 2 lines instead of just the first number and that if he couldn't find the house he could have read the delivery instructions (we always add these as some drivers have problems with our address). Would never use them out of choice.

And this was in the paper last week as well.

http://www.logisticsmanager.com/Articles/22886/Yodel+responds+to+press+criticism+over+poppies.html

The biggest logistical problem with having a wide "choice" of delivery firms is that few of them can amass the local knowledge of the traditional Royal Mail Postman.

I guess some people are going to maybe say theirs was useless, but we've always been blessed with really helpful Postmen (and Women). 

They've always accurately deciphered the occasional poorly addressed mail, and a rapport had built up so that they knew where they could safely leave things when we were out.

The new era of white van men is much more of a lottery, some are fine, but many are rubbish, as the other posts on this thread have indicated.

I've even had courier parcels returned to sender, with no card left for me, and once without any attempt to deliver either, proved by our front garden cctv.

I agree Stowager

In the past in the days when people actually spoke to each other, you knew your postman/woman and had the same one other than holidays. You also knew roughly what time they would be there.

I know we have had some great posties who would go out of their to be helpful.

They call it progress but i wonder!

David

my Uncle was a postie in the town of Deal in kent, he had through the years done every round in the town, including the seafront round - this involved on several occasions sailing out to the goodwin sands with a fibreglass postbox, to collect first day covers posted from the sands, he would hand frank them in the boat on the way back.

later on he was solely responsible for the mis-addressed mail department, from his experience he knew most of the peoples surnames for the whole town, and very few letters did not get delivered, he also knew all the old people who might need a little help now and then, popping into the local shop to fetch some little thing they needed. now that is customer service.

I'm not sure who the delivery company were, but the online shop was bon prix.

Grendel

• Like 1

Over the years my business has used a wide variety of delivery firms - ParcelForce, Royal Mail, UPS, DHL, Yodel, City Link, Hermes, TNT, DPD and others. Of these in our experience Royal Mail is comfortably the best (particularly for small parcels) and Yodel indisputably the worst. We send out thousands of parcels each year so that gives us a reasonably good overview of the market. Individual customers, though, sometimes have very different views depending on their own experience. Entirely understandable but not necessarily a true reflection of overall performance.

I've got to laugh!, I've just had a parcel delivered by... you guessed it... Yodel! I've been away (on the boat,) and the fellow left a card Saturday, another one yesterday, and was writing out a third today when I got home. Pretty good on the whole, but I must be that exception that proves the rule!

"I know we have had some great posties who would go out of their to be helpful."

Our recently retired postman was helpful, a for instance was to sign recorded delivery post and put it through the letterbox or put parcels around the back in the rear toilet, note in, not down.  Saved us numerous trips to the sorting office. :)

reading this thread reminded me of a saying  I haven't heard for years .......

"you can yodel for it" ...... which meant you had no chance.

I forgot to check who the sender was using when I bought an item the other day

and yes it was myhermese the peeps who failed to deliver last time.

ive just been to check how its going or not .......

post-34-0-29060000-1417699686_thumb.jpg

ive got my fingers crossed.