christmas carol :)

ExSurveyor

When do I have to stop snarling at the teenage little s#ds who start singing ( badly ) " we wish you a merry Christmas " when I open the door.

I think it's justified up until the 24th December.

The 6th December and they were lucky to get away with a curt , " come back Christmas eve when you have learnt the words and have had some singing lessons.

Bar humbug

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah,  Why DO they always sing We wish you a merry Christmas?,

I`d be very likely to give them a few bob if they started singing "oh little town of Bethlehem", or "Silent Night", or "Hark the herald angels sing". At least then they can say they`ve actually been "Carrol Singing".

Back in the late 80s - early 90s, i lived in a small Hamlet called Kingswood just south of Leeds castle in Kent. Every Christmas, i think it was the choir from the nearby village church, and the Salvation Army used to come round and stand in a group at the head of the cul de sac and sing a number of carrols. They used to stand under lamps held on shepheards crooks etc. It was something i used to look forward to every year, as it all seemed so magical, and typical of village life.  I ALWAYS went out and put a couple of pounds in the collection tins.

I wish they would do it this village, it seems so magical, and made Christmas  just that little bit more genuine.

• Like 4

One of my other half's young work colleagues, from a wealthy family & lives out in the sticks, was curious as to why we didn't have carol singers in Gainsborough.

"We don't answer the door when someone knocks." my other half replied.
"Why ever not?" asked the well to do young lady.
"Well in Gainsborough if someone knocks on your door its either the bailiffs or a distraction while druggies rob the contents of your shed!" the reply

Its difficult to tell, due to close association with each other over time, who's picked up whose cynicism. 

• Like 3

I come from Rochester area but dated and married a Hempstead girl from the age of 13 . We spent a lot of time in Hempstead, when it was a small village. I undertake surveys all over Kent and get to visit lots of small quaint villages.

So roughly, where are you from now then mark?.

Karen and i were in Kent over the weekend, we stayed at my Dads in Gravesend, but visited Alan (Jaws Orca) and his mate Dave, (the boat`s looking superb, and will put many professional builds to shame) and while we were there,  Ian and Marina (Alans Mum and Dad, aka Chelsea14Ian and Sweet Kingfisher 2) came down too. We had a really good chat with a toastie and a drink in the Yacht club. Really good to meet you guys, and hope we`ll meet up again soon. Great group of people there, just like when i belonged to a club in North Kent. Then we went to Raiham to meet up with friends we have`nt seen for 8 years, so a great day was had.

We drove down to Hoo via Higham and Cliffe woods, so may have passed you somewhere?.

Hubby hails from Upper Halling near Rochester (born and as a lad)  so we know Cliffe woods (sounds like a movie star).  I always think that of a place near here called Carlton Colville (sounds like a Country and Western singer).      We lived and I worked at the solicitors in Sittingbourne for over 40 years.       Kent used to be a lovely place but some places are over populated and more like an extension to London in some parts, others (on the Downs) still beautiful.      

Hempstead Valley , if there was a snow fall always seemed to cop it more than the rest of the Medway Towns.

Shortest Day today - so not long and we will be on the rivers. 

• Like 1

Martin.

I was over Dillywood a few months ago doing a survey, Kent does have lots of tucked away places that haven't been spoilt yet.

After 30 years I still come across hidden gems.

Monica,

I have always driven a 4x4, lots of places I go to are up rough tracks, but when it snows up on the Downs, it does it properly.

I have never yet been trapped by snow, sometimes by abandoned vehicles though.

I think we might be getting snow this year, Matron tells me the onion skins are tight this year, or something like that :)

• Like 2

I actually live in the hamlet of Dillywood though always tell people Higham as most have never heard of Dillywood.

It won't last much longer as the roads and houses are getting closer and we will soon be swallowed up.

Hi Martin, I`m always confused as to where "Dillywood" is, we went past the top of Dillywood lane on Saturday, got stuck in a lot of Police activity further down the lane, but managed to get through ok while en-route to see Allan and Dave (Jaws Orca". We were coming from Cliffe woods, and went left at the crossroads, which (after the problems) came out at the junction (at Wainscott?).

• Like 1