mudweighting

watershed

Hi all

Am currently getting my Leisure17 ready for the spring and hopefully a week or six on the Broads in the summer.

Am currently( no pun intended!) sorting the electrics and wondered if an anchor(all-round white) light is required when mud weighting/wild mooring? I have all the other navigation lights in the highly unlikely event of wishing to cruise at night.

Thanks

No, you will not need to show an anchor light.

Ideally the lights that you will need to show are...

Gin and Tonic being poured  (1 white light with a green light either side and blue lights either side of those.)

The early morning "Bacon Roll" being prepared.  (2 flashing amber lights)

Someone has stolen my G&T as well as my bacon butty. (single flashing blue light)

• Like 5

From the BA bylaws:

Anchored Vessels

(8) The signals prescribed in this Byelaw are not signals of vessels in distress and requiring assistance.

The master of a vessel constrained by its draught may in addition to the lights prescribed for power-driven vessels in Byelaw 35 cause to be exhibited where they can best be seen three all-round red lights in a vertical line, or a cylinder.

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) and paragraph © of Byelaw 65 the master of a vessel at anchor shall cause to be exhibited where they can best be seen:

(a) by night an all-round white light which shall be visible at a distance of 1 kilometre (1,100 yards);

(or by day one ball.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) the master of a pleasure vessel of less than 25 metres (82 feet) in length when at anchor otherwise than in or near a channel shall not be required to exhibit an anchor light or shape. 

Basically, the way I read this is if you are in a small vessel not moored / anchored / mud weighted in or near a channel then you do not need one.  Having said that, I do put my all-round white on if mud weighting when I feel I should err on the side of safety (like on Oulton Broad).  With an LED in, it consumes next to nothing.

Another bit about wild / alongside mooring:

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) a moored vessel, any part of which extends 15 metres (49 feet 3 inches) or more into a channel or more than a quarter of the width of the channel (whichever is the less) shall by night exhibit an all-round white light at the outer extremity of the vessel. Such a light must be visible at a distance of one kilometre (1100 yards).

(2) This Byelaw does not apply to any vessel having a beam of less than 3.8 metres (12 feet 6 inches) moored alongside the bank of a waterway. 

Agree with Liberty - for the cost of instalation / running a 360d LED white light - always better to be seen.

Besides if you happen to be ashore in the dinghy say at Malthouse Broad and are going back to your boat at night, it's proper difficult on a black night with no stars/moon to find a vessel not lit.

We have one on 'B.A's mast and it is always burning at night if on a mudweight(s)

Griff

I use a 28 pounder on a 21 footer and have never had a problem, yet.

It always amazes me just how much folk can see at night without the aid of lights. Being on one of two sailing boats, Drascombe or River Cruiser and with neither having battery charging facilities, I do keep battery use to a minimum hence no anchor light for me. Mind you, I wouldn't recommend mud weighting in the main navigation channel, it does happen!  If other folk can't see the silhouette of my mast, or masts, or those of other boats, then perhaps they shouldn't be out at night ;) .

Pick the heaviest one you can handle comfortably, I would suggest. Ours on Rondonay Swift 18 was not huge but did the job with no issues. You will know that length of anchor line is important of course.

Mudweights being what they are, we break the suction, occasionally with help from the outboard, bring it up to just below the surface and then swing it to clean it, it can make a hell of a mess of your foredeck otherwise.

Lights as above, and usual Nav lights for after sunset movements.

Enjoy your visit.

You will be fine for depth in general, but these may be useful notes.

Watch out for unmarked shallows near the houseboats on Hickling, at the downstream end of Wroxham Broad, opposite the entrance to S Walsham Inner Broad and above the landing stage there, and stay between the posts on Turkey Broad, the offshoot of Barton.

While Nav lights are being talked about May i be so bold as to ask some advice :)

On our little Norman 24 we have port and starboard nav lights. Am I right in thinking that if we fit a 360* white LED on a mast then that will cover all the rules for navigating the Broads after dark? Also is there a regulation as to how 'high' this must be fitted?

We will only ever be on the rivers if that information is relevant.

Apologies to the OP for taking this slightly off topic

cheers

Steve