Marina on the Waveney ?

Boaters

Joshly,

I think you have changed the tack of this thread now - "first tranny in your car"!

I don't even know any

This site is so liberal the mods haven't closed the thread down either

Mark,

Given time, this thread will either carry on as it is, or quietly fade away in the distance that is the Marina on the Waveney. There you go, back on thread. I learned that trick off Frank (Mowjo) :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been moored at St Olaves marina for a number of years now and I note the adverse comments on the state of the marina. It has improved in recent years and the site security is good.

On a plus side it is ideally situated for the southern broads and for craft wanting to go out to sea at Lowestoft.

Joshly where we moor out boat (St Olaves) is our second back yard if you want to put it that way.     We have been there for 3 years now and love it.   Only fault - no pump out facilities but there you go wherever you moor there is always something not quite up your street.

We have been moored at St Olaves marina for a number of years now and I note the adverse comments on the state of the marina. It has improved in recent years and the site security is good.

On a plus side it is ideally situated for the southern broads and for craft wanting to go out to sea at Lowestoft.

Welcome to the NBN Forum Dave. :wave

cheers Iain.

In my opinion the owners of St Olaves Marina could do themselves, and us, a huge favour by tidying up and landscaping their premises. I appreciate that boats, especially when high and dry, are not the tidiest of things but my general impression of the Marina is that it is something of an eyesore.

Jenny Morgan - I would not say that the marina is an eyesore but improvements could be made and given time

those improvement will hopefully be made and possibly bring it up to the standards of Johnsons next door and Goodchilds down river. As has been said pump out facilities are lacking and a fuel pontoon would be an asset . Those may come in the future - you cant do everything at once.

We are happy to be there, the people are friendly the marina staff helpful and several boaters are resident in the marina which is a security benefit.

Its appreciated that you can't do everything at once, but this started back in 1997 when the planning application was agreed. Since then the site has gone downhill with significantly raised banks, dumping of various materials and a temporary plastic building that was built for one to two years use, but has remained.

Looking at the site from the Waveney river side it looks like a boat scrap yard, from the road a builders dump, and the St Olaves village a sprawling mess.

If you had invested good money on a property overlooking a tranquil natural valley then watched as this has unfolded then you would have a right to feel unhappy.

It was supposed to be landscaped to reduced the impact and the bank where boats are stored, ruining the skyline, is not an agreed facility.

It's our backyard and with the owner recently trying to spoil the navigation taking up water space, he has won no friends.

You need to be careful Dave, your statement that people reside on boats in the Marina is only confirming what we know, but is contested by the Marina owners, they do not have planning permission to have residential moorings and what you are confirming is a serious breach of the planning consent!

You need to be careful Dave, your statement that people reside on boats in the Marina is only confirming what we know, but is contested by the Marina owners, they do not have planning permission to have residential moorings and what you are confirming is a serious breach of the planning consent! 

You really dont like our mooring do you.     We who moor there are perfectly happy.      I wasnt aware that when you buy a propery you buy the vista as well.   If you buy a property next to a field and then they build a housing estate on it, you have to accept it.    One persons perception of a piece of junk is not anothers.   

Oh dear I thought that this had died down as you had apparently won the battle of the river pontoons.   Obviously not.

Dave, how long do the owners need to sort things out? It's gone on for years! Next time you drive over the Haddiscoe Bridge slow down and look down at the marina, not a pretty sight, or site come to that. I agree that the marina provides good moorings, ideally placed, but other businesses have managed, more successfully, to tidy things up. Lack of pride possibly? It could be a jewel, with a little bit of effort.

I was going to add this to my last post but it wont let me edit.

It is also a working marina and not a show piece of just bling boats along in a line and grassy areas.      A workiong environment as well as a Marina,   of which there a lot of Marinas that are in a similar state of work in progress.     Rome wasnt built in a day and you do need a lot of finances to make improvements.  

The pontoons on the river has died down until the landowner chooses to have another go, whenever.

As for the Marina itself there are so many non compliance issues that affect local residents both in Haddiscoe and St Olaves, the view of passers by, the impact on the ecology, etc, etc.

Pumping mud directly from the constructed basins into the river or burning old boats on the riverside banks is not considered by anybody as responsible.

Richard's boatyard is an example of what can be achieved by hard work and awareness of his local neighbours.

The Marina is a dump and it has been so for the past 17 years. If you need more evidence just stroll along the New Cut and see the Marina's moorings collapsing into the watercourse. Instead of funding river pontoon moorings it would be good to see existing moorings tidied up.

We as residents have been told by unauthorised residential moorers to get off the public footpath that runs by the the New Cut moorings.

They seem to think that they have a right to the public footpath land, sorry, incorrect, as confirmed by the BA!

So you may be comfortable in your tidy moorings but the remainder leaves a lot to be desired.

As for bling boats, where is that coming from, certainly not relevant to St Olaves moorings.

Joshly we have our share of what I call Bling Boats , massive great things compared to us anyway and personally if finances were there I would love to have one, trouble is hubby and myself would struggle to get on and off the darn things at our age.   What I was referring to was the fact that it is just not a Marina it is a working boat yard and Marina.      

The moorings along the Cut do look a sketch at the moment but I suppose the fact that it floods in the winter doesnt really help matters.

Dear Mrs Hylander,

Sorry if I have been hard on you with my comments, but its all relative.

When you start off with a small day boat, or similar, you want to go bigger, more space, a galley, a decent head, a couple of berths and so on.

Eventually you realise all boats bigger than yours are potentially seen as Bling Boats, something you aspire to.

When you eventually hit your financial ceiling and realise your considerable investment isn't getting used, the kids have grown up and doing there own thing, boats become like houses, you consider downsizing or giving up altogether.

It seems that the most enthusiastic boaters are in vessels under 30ft, not what I would exactly call Bling, that to my mind is the large offshore vessels that travel from Brundall to Oulton Broad causing issues with their considerable wake and diesel fumes from under utilised turbo chargers!

Or maybe I'm confusing Bling with Gin Palaces?

When your landlord moved from Puddingmoor in Beccles to St Olaves I thought this would be good for him and our locality. St Olaves is ideally positioned with access to Norwich, Yarmouth and Lowestoft/Beccles. A good selection of trips, both short and long.

The trouble is the aspirations for the Marina were changed several years ago when the scheme was to add numerous large holiday properties on the various raised bank to increase income.

This was never part of the original planning scheme or approved by residents. It has delayed the finishing of the Marina for what it was intend to be, and as a result 17 years on, battles continue between the owners, the Planners and Residents, shame, it could have been a real asset not a considerable liability! IMHO.

• Like 1