Marina on the Waveney ?

Boaters

Nothing set in stone,these things have a way of getting through eventually in many cases.I remember being in a Horning marina years ago wher redevelopment plans were opposed many times over the years , but sure enough eventually it went the way of the owner,who has changed the face of many Broadland riversides with designs that have bought many critics.

Strange that - I don't remember any real opposition to any marina plans in Horning!! There were a few to Lens development but none of any magnitude!! And to prove the point it now looks as though it was meant to be there all along.

As to his new houses, if indeed that is what you are referring to, both of those new properties are better than what was there so to be honest, and indeed in most commentators views, he has improved that area as well - beauty and new houses, are often in the eye of the beholder and you will always get some detractors who want the Broads full of old woodies and dilapidated houses but forget that without the holiday trade which has to move with the times to attract punters, the Broads would be a much poorer place!!!

Invest or die is appropriate here ( although you might be talking about a  totally different development!!!)

• Like 3

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, (and not for the first time), but I believe the opposition in the other thread was centred on the significant narrowing of the River Waveney by the Marina's new pontoons in the main river fairway, right opposite long established private moorings.

So not just against nimbyism against new development, maybe a very valid concern...

I was interested in the views of local users who would or not be affected as opposed to those of us who only pass through .We moored on an outside berth on the Great Ouse which was a trial when the river was in full low and getting your boat in was very difficult especially when windy.

Roy & Diane,

If a response is still relevant, I can personally advise that making a turn in the river Waveney at this point, in a strong flow to gain access to a mud berth is the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in 50 years of boat handling.

Approaching positioned cross stream, either with the tide or against it is very difficult to judge!

The boat cannot just be swung into the cut mooring, instead it has to be aimed at it and judged according to current flow and wind effect.

A 3.5m boat into a 6m gap may seem easy but it is not when doing 5mph sideways!

If done slowly the bow enters the cut containing still water and the boat pivots with the stern moving sideways under the flowing water pressure resulting in a pivot into the bank!

If done at speed to minimise that effect, the bow has to be aimed at the upstream bank so that as the bow reaches the bank it has become aligned with the centre of the opening, not the bank either side.

At mid tidal range it is even more tricky trying to find the narrow channel in the mud to try and navigate in slightly deeper water!

So speaking from experience, any restriction in the width of the navigation would make the initial turn difficult certainly causes big problems.

For the holiday season hirers with vessels up to 15m long and with limited experience trying to turn to get back to the Bell's moorings it is almost impossible. Single engines and limited keels make then drift around like leaves on a pond!

So any further restrictions by the use of pontoons and moored boats taking up a further 30ft of river width is to be considered bad form on behalf of its advocates, professional or otherwise!

Hope that helps?

Josh, doing it is a doddle! I have watched the Cromer lifeboat reverse across both flowing tide and meaningful wind and up onto their slipway. Not only that but they have picked up the tackle for being hauled out of the water and all without any apparent deviation from their course. Those fellows make it all look just so easy!

Josh, doing it is a doddle! I have watched the Cromer lifeboat reverse across both flowing tide and meaningful wind and up onto their slipway. Not only that but they have picked up the tackle for being hauled out of the water and all without any apparent deviation from their course. Those fellows make it all look just so easy!

They probably have twin engines. One in forward, one reverse... piece of pi** :D

Keifsmate - if you are referring to the basin at St Olaves , they are always dredging.  That is one good thing about being moored there.     I am afraid I speak as I find and the Marina is one of the best in my opinion.   Spotless toilets, showers etc.    Very Secure.   On Pontoons , so no worry when flooding happens , like today.    Great people around you.   Central to everywhere , you dont have to go miles before you get to a main river..

Nothing wrong with the Marina facilities its the rest thats a shambles.

From the main road it looks like a dumping site with advertising hoardings, plastic tent buildings and steel containers, from the river a scrapyard for old boats and if you live overlooking it the landscape has been changed from marshland to an unsightly mess.

Take a look at Richard's boat yard if you want a comparison, the Johnson's Yacht station, its an asset not a liability and shows what can be done if you are concerned with the image you portray and your reputation in the community.

As for lifeboats, yes they have big twin engines, bow and probably stern thrusters and numerous competent crew.

Also they perform in deep water, not St Olaves at spring lows!

I will agree with Josh that St Olaves Marina is something of an eyesore but I also agree that it is an ideal location and that the facilities for those moored there are excellent.

I never could understand why the proprietors are content in having it look like it does. Hopefully this latest saga will be the key to them taking a far greater pride in the appearance of the place. 

JM, thanks, a life boat station at Burgh Castle.

Something new to be learnt everyday.

So the Spirit of Breydon was a waste of money after all.

Not quite! One of the yards at Burgh Castle, Good-Childs, services life-boats. There is an RNLI station at the other end of Breydon though, at Gorleston, and judging by reports in our local papers the RNLI rescue rather more folk than the SOB does. 

Location is excellent, at the southern broads cross roads, and convenient road network to the three major shopping areas plus Beccles of course.

The reason no doubt that the village is so popular to reside in!

The Marina could have been sensitively developed to be the best on the Broads, with moorings, boat sales, a chandlery and services.

There are no fuel sales, pump out facilities, shop or cafe. The buildings are Portacabins and the agreed landscaping with trees and bushes has not happened, a non compliance issue.

The lack of investment has been evident from the commencement of the original planning application.

It could have been a significant asset if developed as it should have been as proposed by BA planners.

I posted that last message from my iphone,  darn thing the keyboard is so tiny, so here goes on a proper keyboard.

I do agree that a pump out facility would be a definite plus and that was one of the things we missed when we left Broadsedge.   Having to trapse for miles to get a pump out is not a plus.    

What happened to the cafe that I am sure was attached to the old petrol station that was.     There is a chandlers by the Bridge. 

Hi-Lander,

Yes there was a cafe in the village, a shop and a post office but the boat trade has diminished, due no doubt to the incredible hire charges, and they have all closed down.

The chandlery is no more than a second hand store for bits and bobs, not what I have seen as a chandlery in other parts of the country

I have travelled to Newark Marina and others down south and you can look at secondhand boats, have a break, a drink and a bite to eat before returning home.

Our Marina is just a mooring facility and boat sales, no services.

The trees and bushes needed to be planted around the perimeter to replace those bulldozed into the land raising activities and to make it attractive to both users and residents who have had their skyline wrecked.

Any modification to the landscape in our region, avoiding comments about a National Park to appease JM and co, must be conducted in a caring manner, maintaining the character of the Broads.

The Marina owner has stated he doesn't want hire boats entering his marina to refuel or for a pump out so locals have to use services at Somerleyton or Reedham.

Marina users have to appreciate that the local community want the area to be maintain in a tidy and organised manner. The very large plastic workshop was supposed to be a temporary building for one to two years use but many years later it still stands, a blot on the landscape!

The BA are now striving to put right the wrongs, in accord with the original planning conditions the owner approved in writing many years ago.

If we want to attract holidaymakers to our region to enjoy the facilities and spend money into our local economy then we need to get our act together and stop presenting to the holidaymakers the image of a scruffy, couldn't care less, and diminishing mooring facilitate as has happened on the New Cut, a one time excellent roach fishing venue now turned into a privately owned mess, IMHO!

We agree on one thing about the marina  - it is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye at the moment but it is getting there.        At Broadsedge we never ever had hire boats turn up for a pump out as the sign states PRIVATE MARINA.     I am sure the odd one over the years probably got lost and went up towards the pump out station but that would be all.     The loos at St Olaves marina are kept spotless by a lady who actually lives there.   She must clean the loos twice a day, and because they are not for all and sundry to use, that is why they stay the way they are.

Dont you just love the word 'temporary'.  yes my late father in law had a temporary dog box for the dog,  the dog died 15 years later and was still using the temporary dog box.

I still reckon St Olaves has improved over the years, the Bridge has been revamped and the 24 hr mooring improved.    I get the impression that most boaters come south for the peace and quiet.

The quay heading by the bridge can be replaced so that is not the end of the world.

Can we have a mention for The Priory Farm Restaurant.       Now that is another plus for St Olaves.