new hoseasons logo

boatmadmike

I actually liked the wooden hireboats, think the last one we hired was Highlight from Herbert Woods in August 1983 - I was 11 !

The Summercraft boats in particular were probably in better condition than most of the GRP boats !

As one who hired from Summercraft I could not agree more Neil. They all handled a dream, apart from Grovener Girl she had a tupperware hull and was hard work keeping it straight in windy conditions. She was wooden topped though from memory.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

It has always amazed me that an organisation working on behalf of many others can dictate the prices that those others should charge.

Is it more like "we know how much we want to earn in commission so working from that we can tell the boatyard what they need to charge so we get what we want"

They even expect THIER commission if the boatyard takes a booking direct.

I cannot ever recall a travel agent telling a holiday supplier what price to charge

Jeff.

It has always amazed me that an organisation working on behalf of many others can dictate the prices that those others should charge.

Is it more like "we know how much we want to earn in commission so working from that we can tell the boatyard what they need to charge so we get what we want"

They even expect THIER commission if the boatyard takes a booking direct.

I cannot ever recall a travel agent telling a holiday supplier what price to charge

Jeff.

I think this is is totally unfair/untrue.  The operators sets the price not Hoseasons, so it does not work any differently to what you expect so I do not know where this comes from?

Some companies across lots of industries use agencies some industries more than others.

If that is the new brand logo for boat hulls I am rather suprised (especially as it doesn't match their publiised new logo!) but I think Hoseasons have got a bit of a kicking here!

Incidentally, blaming them for emptying of pubs in the second half of the 70s seems especially harsh on the basis of them targeting the high street (entering travel agents?) as I am pretty sure this action didn not happen until into the 80s.

When a company has had such a great figurehead and leader as James Hoseason it is an act that will never be followed in the same way.  The company has changed and adapted though and that is what it should do to survive.  If it didn't  I suspect we would all be here critscising its demise for that very reason!

Dan

• Like 2

Incidentally, blaming them for emptying of pubs in the second half of the 70s seems especially harsh on the basis of them targeting the high street (entering travel agents?) as I am pretty sure this action didn not happen until into the 80s.

Dan

Dan, remember, I was in the trade at that time. By the 'high street', Hoseason's term at that time, I don't necessarily mean the use of travel agents but rather their targeting of different customer groups. Mind you, there were other factors, not least the development into residential of many boatyard sites.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Dan here. The denigration of Hoseasons does seem to be a little undeserved. Take a look at the attached screenshot below which shows how Hoseasons earn their boat booking commissions. It costs around 80p per click to advertise like this on Google which as Andy at Freedom has said, puts the boating holiday concept in front of the consumer. The average success rate is one booking per 100 clicks so you can see it is an expensive exercise. It allows exposure for some of the yards which otherwise would not be seen, like Summercraft, Bridgecraft, Royalls, Alpha, Swancraft Sandersons etc and also adds value for the larger yards like Richardsons and Barnes Brinkcraft.

Regards

David

post-712-0-32919500-1423135144_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...