Two new BA members

Had this as a Google Alert:

http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=144015

As I understand it new members are required to be previously independent of the Authority, indeed I thought that its a DEFRA rule yet these two are DEFRA appointees. Will they be any good? My feeling is that one at least is well qualified but time will tell. 

There was a issue with the link yesterday, but it is working this morning, for your convenience please see below.

UK. New Members appointed to the Broads Authority

Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Two Norfolk men with an intimate knowledge and love of the Broads have been appointed Members of the Broads Authority.

The Secretary of State for the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has appointed Matthew Bradbury, national Director of Operations for the Land Trust, and John Ash, who was administrator for the Broads Authority’s Sustainable Development Fund for six years.

They will each take up a four-year appointment to the Authority on April 1st.

Matthew, who lives in Hingham and comes from a farming family, has lived and worked in Norfolk for more than 40 years. He learnt to sail on the Broads and likes to spend weekends canoeing and wildlife watching throughout the Broads National Park.

In addition to running the family farming businesses, Matthew worked for more than 20 years as a consultant to landowners, many in Broadland, advising them on the implementation of the Rural Development Programme, cooperative purchasing and marketing.

He was then employed by the Broads Authority working on water quality and conservation projects before becoming Head of Nature Reserves at Norfolk Wildlife Trust. He managed more than 70 sites including a number of major Broads Nature Reserves - Barton, Hickling, Martham, Ranworth, Alderfen and Upton – as well as visitor centres and an extensive grazing operation.

Matthew now has responsibility for the management and development of the Land Trust’s national land portfolio of 2500 hectares comprising green space, nature reserves and parks. He also has responsibility for fundraising, income generation and voluntary support to enable the land to be managed sustainably for environmental, social and economic benefit.

He is currently a board member of the Thames Gateway Local Nature Partnership and a trustee of the British Mountaineering Council’s Access and Conservation Trust.

John Ash, who lives in Brooke, is a retired chartered civil engineer who has spent 40 years working in flood and coastal defence in Norfolk, including the Broads, the UK and Europe. His work has included a wide variety of projects associated with environmental management, economic appraisal, climate change and tourism.

John says living and working in Norfolk has given him a real love and affinity with the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads where he has sailed in dinghies and wherries. He took over the chairmanship of Wherry Yacht Charter Charitable Trust (WYC) from Aitken Clark, the first Chief Executive of the Broads Authority, when he died. The Trust has since restored two Edwardian wherry yachts and a pleasure wherry to sailing condition and, together with its other vintage wherry yacht and recently acquired second pleasure wherry, they now offer holiday charters and educational visits on the Broads.

John represents WYC on Broads Tourism and has a working knowledge of tourism issues. For the past six years he has been Administrator for the Broads Authority’s Sustainable Development Fund providing grants to organisations in the Broads, many of them focused on developing the opportunity for young people to experience and enjoy the Broads.

Hilary Franzen

Press Officer

Tel: 01603 756034

Broads Authority

Yare House

62-64 Thorpe Road

Norwich

Norfolk

NR1 1RY

Tel: +44 (0) 1603 610734

I know Grace is thinking this too.. so don't worry grace I'll ask the question..  :rolleyes: .. Whats a member of the broads authority? are these paid roles.. i.e are these employees? confused.. :blush:  

I am more confuzzled Alan, as I am lead to believe it is now the Broads National Park Authority, or something like that? Are they paid?

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

I do not know if they are paid or not, but if it like local authorities your local politicians (coucillors) used to get an attendance fee, many years ago £40 for every sub committee they attended, I know of a few councillors that attended up to 6 sub committees per day.

Nice work if you can get it and so much more profitable than a real job.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Of coarse they`re paid, they would`nt take on that responsibility without being payed. And i bet they get payed very handsomely too?. As one of the scynics JM mentions, i can`t help but think this is just a "jobs for the boys" exercise, and giving them a massive hike in their salary and expense account.Of coarse, i MAY be wrong, but something deep inside says i`m not.

As for the farmer who likes canoeing and bird watching, that in itself should be a glowing advert where his real loyalties lye?.

Is`nt it good to be a scinic?.

• Like 1

Actually, other than the chairman, I don't think they are hugely well paid. When I was on the Nav Com I only received travelling expenses and a cup of coffee and a biscuit. Only way that I could have made money was to have biked to Norwich from Oulton Broad and claimed for a car. Mind you, things might have changed since I resigned and I suppose I could have sold my votes to the most deserving causes!!

• Like 3