Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

A friend of mine used to own one of the timber framed coachbuilt double deckers that dated back to the 40's, it was part of the Blue bus company fleet based at Willington in its day, but was sadly burned down in a depot fire when the entire fleet was distroyed, including some fine old coaches simlar to the one in the picture during the late 70's.

Sadly the owner was under-insured and was unable to continue running the Blue Bus company that had been such a popular site around the Southern Derbyshire villages

The thing i remeber most about them was the upstairs seats were in a row of four, rather like a big sofa, and local rumour had it that because of this they were prone to being used by the local tramps at night to sleep on, as their open backs where the passengers boarded made access very easy indeed, and it could well have been a tramp that started the fire aboard one that lead to the entire fleet going up in smoke at the depot, which was just basically an office, workshop and open yard, with very little security compared to what they would have had today.

I believe a couple of their busses did survive purely by chance that they had broken down in Derby, and had been towed to the council depot at the time of the fire.

Julz :wave

Right, Thats enough about Coaches...

Even though the hirefleet has been mega busy there seens to have been a fair bit of progress of late :dance

we have 5 coats of varnish on the cabin sides, (3 or 4 to go)

4 coats on the hull ( 1 or 2 to go)

The diesel tank has been put in place although not connected up,

I decided a chine rubber would be a good idea as it would add shape to the front and protect the chine board when attempting controlled collisions (mooring) we had a 2 inch board of Iroko which was quickly turned into a nice shape and screwed on one side....

A bit more has been done to the 'I' bracket but I have explained about that already

post-503-136713581882_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713582156_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713582182_thumb.jpg

WOW shes looking realy good on the outside compared to the dull looking thing in the shed i saw last time Clive.

I hope you aren't talking about Colin jonny? :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, things were going well until Wednesday morning when I got told that although the chine board was good, when the rubber was going on the boat builder thought one of the screws did not 'bite' quite as well as the others so sould he have a look at the chine. the chine appeared good from the inside but there was a plywood :norty: pad which had rotted and ruined a bit of the chine so I told them to get out what needed to come out and I would be up in a bit to have a look.

Well, when I got up to the Ponderosa (shed) there was a 15 foot length of chine board out and 13 foot of chine :o plus another 5 foot board above that, never mind eh, at least it is all under the waterline so the new varnish should not be disturbed except where I need to double up or replace timbers which had rotted off where they are notched into the chine.

Wooden boats eh :roll:

post-503-136713582578_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive,

Would you mind if I came to take a few shots of those lovely planks of timber you have there, as it doesn't involve much walking around a hull!

I just like the look of wooden boats, and that one looks rather nice in your workshed!! cheers

Would you mind if I came to take a few shots of those lovely planks of timber you have there, as it doesn't involve much walking around a hull!

I just like the look of wooden boats, and that one looks rather nice in your workshed!! cheers

Hi Clive

we was hoping to see him in the yard on Sunday as i was wanted a sneak peak.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

Jonny, Clive in the yard on a Sunday you have to be joking, if you was he would you be there ?

Hi Colin

we spoke before the meet he was going to be at the meet & be at the yard i dint know if he was going to be at the meet on the Sunday & be at the yard on the Sunday or vice versa or do both he said he would be around i was looking for his pickup but he must have a massive inventory of cars & trucks ow & coaches.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Hi Clive,

Sorry for the delay, I seem to have missed these last few posts, you are most welcome to come over and take some photos I am normally about but best to check first (PM will do)

Jonny,

I was busy on Sunday afternoon eating BBQ :lol:

Right,

we got the new chine in and half the new board too,timbers have been 'doubled up' about 18 inches and the whole lot is much stronger now.

This morning I was shown some tender bits in the chine just forward of where we stopped but to repair it would take a bit more time and as we need the shed back and she should really be in the water I have taken the decision to leave it for now, it will probably be fine for another 10 years but it is something to plan for in the next 3-5 or so..

we have to remember that you can never get the whole of the rot out and these boats are a ongoing project.

post-503-136713584607_thumb.jpg

when she first came out there was a suspect plank aft, as she has dried out it became obvious that it needed replacing. well, over the weekend the plaks was removed (and half the surrounding planks :o )

if you ever get a survey done on a wooden boat, best taken with a pinch of salt.

likewise, when getting quotes done regard them more as estimates and be prepared for the unknown...

post-503-136713584879_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713584904_thumb.jpg

Further to the above, this afternoon as the new planks were going in there was nothing for the screws to get hold of, a little investigation shows that the Hog has some rot in it, the Hog is the piece of wood which screws to the top of the keel to which the garboard plank is fixed (first plank next to the keel).

we are hoping that the rot finishes before the wedge (bit the shaft comes through inside the boat) because that is a even bigger job which not many people understand.

to get the new hog in the stern knee needs to come out and also a bit of the transom.

there was a pad over a split in the hog this had gone rotten over the years.....

Wooden boats eh :roll::roll:

post-503-136713584931_thumb.jpg