Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

Got to work today and saw BV under the gantry which was a pleasant suprise so I went over to find that a new stainless steel engine tray had been fitted which looked very nice, also bits were still being done in the aft end :dance

Later in the day I went back to find the engine had been bolted in place , it just needs wireing in and the engine coupled to the shaft and we are away :grin:

I was not expecting it to be done yet but hey, why put off untill tomorrow what you can do today ;)

post-503-136713599423_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713599446_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clive, Has the bilge pump been left on in BV because I have been over there most of the morning and made a point of listening out and there has been no sound of the pump coming on so I reckon that all taking up that needs to be done has been done

Hi Clive, Has the bilge pump been left on in BV because I have been over there most of the morning and made a point of listening out and there has been no sound of the pump coming on so I reckon that all taking up that needs to be done has been done

I hope so, :)

I was on board yesterday and she pumped out but i recon she would be ok for a couple of days if the pump was left off she would just have a lot of water in her.. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for that Colin, I will check her first thing on Monday.

cheersbar

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I`ve only just discovered this thread, and ...............wow..........what a fantastic job. I was glued to it all evening so i could read a lot of the posts, but the pictures............ i`m speechless. I`ve been flitting back a few pages to look at them again and again. I remember seeing the boats in the catalogues years ago (with white hulls), but to see it like that?. I`m just lost for words. What a shame others of the marque have been lost forever. Regards, and total admiration........ Neil.

cheers Neil,

I think there is another one somewhere on the southern broads but not really sure, also the one in Wayford :cry

There was a little more done today, the drawers in the saloon were refitted, as from a stack of four, the bottom two had been removed to make way for a fridge. luckily the drawers were kept which meant that as the RC45 plug was being sprayed the drawer runners were being re made and are now in place, I will take a photo next week.

Also, the slatts were rebated to make them fit in the rear well and the rear step was refitted as the strengthener in the rear floor was in the way, I will take photos of these soon.

with any luck, when the next coat of paint is put on the RC45 there will be a new dashboard made and the rear doors fitted as well as the stays for the rear cockpit hatch.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, i`m going to ask you something you will either laugh at or make you have a nervous breakdown. Is there ANY slightest chance that you would get hold of one of the other Broadsventures, and completely re-furbish her and put it in the hire fleet?. There are precious few traditional boats for hire on the Broads, and a boat such as Broadsventure would, i would have thought, be much admired and desireable to hire. The other option would be to build a plug to exactly the same design as Broadsventures hull and mould them from GRP and build timber tops. You did say earlier, that it would be the ideal compromise for a traditional style boat, so how about building one, go on, you know you want to? lol: . Seriously though, Would such a project be feasable or just too dammned exspensive?. I remember when i was a lot younger, i always wanted to hire the latest most modern boats, but now i`m, shall we say, maturing, i prefer the older style boats, but with some (and ONLY some) modern fixtures. What do you think?. Regards to all.......... Neil.

Hi Neil,

I seem to have missed your question, I had thought of a steel hull with wooden hull sides, then you could varnish them :grin: , you do away with nearly all the difficult to repair bits (keel, hog, deadwood, wedge etc) I have the plans, perhaps if I get bored I will waste some money, I dont have any to waste at the moment though!

As for getting a Broadsventure and restoring it for hire, well, Martham already do this so I am happy to let them carry on, also I could build a new virtually maintence free boat for the same ammount, and not have to worry about what state it is going to come back in :lol:

As for getting a Broadsventure and restoring it for hire, well, Martham already do this so I am happy to let them carry on, also I could build a new virtually maintence free boat for the same ammount, and not have to worry about what state it is going to come back in :lol:

How about an a bounty buccaneer with an aluminum hull :grin::grin:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Hi Dave,

I am not sure but I recon she will weigh about 7 tonnes.

Dont know about the steel, not got to that stage yet, just an idea, not sure if it would work..

Jonny,

they already do a steel version about 6foot wide on the canals :lol:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Jonny, Breydon marine did a buccaneer copy out of steel, in fact i think they did two different sizes. I`m sure one was called Norfolk, but i`m not sure about the other. Regards to all............ Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, getting back to Broadsventure, when are we going to see some more photo`s Clive?, we`re anxiously waiting. Also, are you going to do the interior to the original design or is it going to be more modern and updated?. Regards to all.............. Neil. xmas2

we bought the 'Breydon Bashers' and sent them to the Thames :)

Today while the plug was being sprayed we got the back doors on the aft cockpit hatch stays on, and a few other little bits and bobs. :grin:

I cleared out the front a bit (chucked stuff out of the window :lol: ) you can now see the worktops..

The interior is no way near original apart from the front cabin and front toilet, it is not being put to original as she was a 9 berth and we dont need that space, just a big lounge with a woodburner :grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, on page 25 of this thread, there`s a picture of Broadsventur in the wet shed (i think) next to a tired looking Safari. Would you be interrested in selling her?. Regards............. Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I had a look on the boatsales website, and did`nt see any on there, but i do like the look of the Aquafibre 42 mk2s, why are they so cheap, and how cheap are the Elysians?. :band

Hi Neil,

The Elysians are from about £5K they all need at least paint and canopies, they do have engines that run and some interiors are not too bad,

the 42 footers need more work, some floors are rotten and galleys need replacing as well as things like curtains and soft furnishings but these things are to taste so it is hard to do something for sale to what a potential purchacer would want, however, they need to go as we need space, one is being done for the fleet so there are still 3 left.

If you can visualise the end product they work out good value but understandably most people want a boat that is ready to go.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, i know what you mean. When my wife and i were house hunting 4 years ago, we looked at several properties, some of which had decorated interiors, one was brand new. But when i looked at every property, i always went in with the view to how we could change it into the home we wanted. Therefore, hardly any property was unsuitable. I would do exactly the same with any boat, and i`ve looked at several on the net, thinking how i would improve on them. My problem is, i live in Dorset, so buying a project (which i would absolutely love to do) is not really the right option. Sadly, i could probably afford to pay cash for one of the AF42s, but then i would need to find the money to run and re-furb it. The Elysian is a nice boat for 2, but i`m really after a boat with two permanent sleeping cabins, and i would`nt be able to get up there often enough to make it a viable option. I used to live in North Kent, about 5 miles from the Dartford tunnel, and if i still lived there it would`nt be such a problem. I`m still considering it though. Regards....... Neil. xmas6