Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

• 7 months later...

Right,

I thought it was about time we had the old girl out for a look ar her botton (and I saw some issues apearing :o )

We bought her out on the bomb trolley and I steam cleaned her, this highlighted a few planks which I chopped out and whilst doing so there were a few more than expected found :cry: but although I thought they were planks replaced last time, it turns out they are mainly Iroko and mahogany with just a few deal.

none of the patches are too bad apart from a fairly large area at the fwd port where we previously replaced a section of chine and chine boards about 25 feet in length! unfortunately we had to stop the job before we got it all which is where we are now, we have erplaced 2 frames and 3 timbers and another 3 halves. while chopping out we discovered some fairly weird work from the past but have decided not to knock the efforts as she would not be here now if it were not for them. :)

post-503-136713968333_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713968349_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713968362_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713968378_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713968395_thumb.jpg

Without the support that you have, (or even with it) having a woody looks very expensive!

I chopped it all out myself and cleaned everywhere up removing screws and nails ect, I have also planed the new planks and treated everywhere myself,

I had one of the guys stay late for an hour to test the bottom first. (cheers Hossy)

the planks are being fitted by a mate, we are working after work when we can although we will probably attack all day and night on Monday.

we have done a couple of evenings and got the Stbd front fitted but removed for preserving and painting and two on the port side as well as the frames and timbers, we hope to have the whole lot fitted on Monday then I will have to preserve it all and stuff the caulking cotton in myself (but I hope not!)

Wooden boats can be expencive but if you do a little at a time it will get there in the end but never really finished, I have had some upholstery done for the beds this year so we can use her over night and also hope to get some good looking furnature to stick in the back,

We have a bit of a major job to do in the apron soon but that will have to wait as we need her for entertaining the sailing boat crew when we go racing this year :Sailingcheersbar:naughty:

A decent knot free bit of deal is only a couple of quid a mtr but there is plenty of it (about 150 ft?) I used oak for the timbers and 'prayer books' and found a big bit of mahogany skirting board which was cut up for the frames (and some woodburner fuel :cool: )

I

• 5 weeks later...

We got all the planks in over a couple of evenings and a good day, I then caulked and sealed the seams before a decent coat of , a red waterline, a touch up of the scratches on the hull and some grey in the bilges.

I forgot to get all the photos before we launched but she basically now looks like she did when she came out!

plugbroadsventure013_zps77cfae2a.jpg

plugbroadsventure010_zps9e60e594.jpg

plugbroadsventure009_zpsfae63b1d.jpg

• 1 year later...

I didn't use Broadsventure this year as I had 'Sea Earl' to use, she is a lovely boat but now for sale...

We knew that Broadsventure has a rotten apron so I have taken the opportunity to get it replaced  as well as the stem. there are a couple  of planks in the aft end too which are being replaced.

post-144-0-56722100-1412415134_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-28589000-1412415220_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-23300300-1412415264_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-24794200-1412415312_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-04592300-1412415346_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My launch 'Magnor' is also being shown some love with a new deck and flooring as well as a bit of a  spruce up  before the spring as I did not use her either this year..

the painted launch was Horning boatyards old tow boat which I have been storing for years and keep ing her away from the fire, I think she is a Powles built boat but I am not sure, I am in no hurry for this and want to try and do her myself.

post-144-0-80242000-1412415795_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-98431500-1412415838_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-12885700-1412415882_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-22293400-1412415917_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That apron/stem repair looks proper serious stuff.  We had to change the apron on 'B.A' - Thankfully the stem was ok otherwise I would have been in it up to my neck, not a clue how to go about changing a stem - but no doubt we would have learnt and had a go at it

Good to see BV is getting plenty of love and attention, she is an iconic boat of a past era that deserves to be saved and USED (Hint)

Griff

• Like 1

Wow.. I scrolled back too.. she looks amazing Clive .. So sorry to see you having further problems with her but she looks like she's in the best hands.. Good luck with the work and hope to see her afloat again one day :) 

I too think there should be more timber boats back on hire... imagine have the best fleet of new polished boats plus 3 or 4 "classic fleet"! That would be amazing!... please consider it ;)

• Like 1

Sorry, I have been away for a few days in Thurne!  The apron is about 9 feet long and 5"x 7'' with a decent bend in it, luckily there is a scarph in it which is how it will go back in. 

The stem is the bit on the outside and the apron is inside. 

the apron will be cut from a big chunk of oak and the stem will probably be made from strips of oak glued together round a former. 

the bends in planks are normally just cramped into place but the tighter ones  usually get steamed first which makes the fibres loosen up a bit while they are hot so they can bend into position before they cool again.

I would love a fleet of classic boats but I feel it cause more than a few issues for me! there may be something similar down that route one day though. 

I know she was not about this year but she does get used (although not as much as some Griff!) she is not a show boat but is still fun to use and let other people use.

Magnor (the launch) is not allowed to be touched unless I am on her! 

• Like 1

Does Magnor have any bulk head numbers remaining. Cleome which was Powles built still had hers and the owner(who you will know) traced the info at the Norfolk Records Centre as I did with WR and two out of the four Delights that went to Ireland in 1965 - just a thought?

Liz

good point Liz, 

I have spent plenty of time under the decks years ago but  never seen anything, Magnor is her original name, she was one of 6 built named after constellations I think there was a thread on here a while back.. the other one I have not had a good look round as she is manky and covered in old oil and crud. I will have a look round her soon, I think if I lightly sand the transom i may find a name under the paint (I hope)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

just thought I would show you Magnor with her new decks, she has all new floors too in teak and holly and should be out and about soon.. back deck done too, just got to fit new gauges and use her, the next job will be to tidy the engine bay as its a bit of a mess in there at the moment but I want to use her for a bit before that.. 

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Hi Clive how is the old girl broadventure 12 she looks fantastic is she fully finished now

Do you have any up to date photos of her spent my childhood  holidays on them all

Broadventures Fulmer broadslanders the best boats on the broads they were class 

And now still are thank you for saving her Clive cheers kevynH

• Like 1

Hi Kevyn, 

we are putting a new apron and stem in her, she has been out of the water  a while now and gets a couple of days every 6 months or so and is not progressing too fast ! however we have a completed apron ready to fit and the stem (the easy bit) is waiting to go onto that. 

I have been using other boats for a coupe of years now and am missing the old girl although i look at her in the shed every day I want to get back out on her again. 

If you have any photos I would love to see them. 

Cheers,Clive. 

• Like 2