Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

:grin: Clive I can lend you a chainsaw so you can cut her in half, that way she'll only take up two bays, a bit of brown tape over the join when she goes back in and no-one would notice it,, Oh! and I'm right out of old nails until I break a few more pallets down, but I do have a big box of headless screws if your interested,,, :naughty:

Hi Clive

I have been struggling to log on recently but have been following this thread avidly. If it is used brass screws and the like you are looking for , look no further I have enough to completely rebuild a thirty foot boat, unfortunately all my spare wood seems to be powdery or rotten . :o

I must say she is looking rather fine, it is a bu***r when you find all this extra work and expense, what you said about surveys is so true.

Keep up the great work, silly thing to say really, of course you will. cheerscheers

:grin: Hiya Barry! the bit about screws, old pallets and bent nails is a bit of a joke I've been having with Clive, he's a bit of a bodger you know, he needs me to keep an eye on him or he'll use Polyfiller instead of P38, :norty: anyway you should be working on your own boat and not be on here, Jock is now sort of my next door neighbour, so I can now keep an eye on you as well and make sure your doing the job right,, :grin:

And here is one I took Today!

the signwriter who did the lettering was probably the person who put the name on originally, he did it as a favour for me as he does not work any more.

a real talent, took him two visits, half hour Tuesday day for the yellow then back today for the black. not many about now who can do this.

post-503-136713592914_thumb.jpg

I did not get the toll numbers done and will probably find some screw on ones or get some cast...

Risky Clive...

Most of your latest set-backs in this thread have started with something like "...went to put some screws in and.."

(Put them into the new planks to be on the safe side?)

Martin

MARTIN!

why did you say that? look what has happened!

the first picture shows a plank which was a bit suspect so out it came, the new one split as it was nearly in so we start again!

there is another plank above it which has a soft bit just above the waterline which I want replacing but I have said will have to be the last.

The second picture shows another removed plank which was pulled out before we found the problems in the back end.

Third shot is the same place as the second, we got the two planks in when the chine was done today we found another two!

this shot also shows a scarph joint in the chine board, this is done as where normally a 'prayer book' is put behind a butt joint in a plank the chine is in the way so water would get in, the scarph is covered in sealant before being screwed together (like everything else) scarph joints are also needed in the garboard plank as the hog gets in the way of the 'prayer book'

I hope this is the last of the 'planks removed' photos as I am getting as tired of seeing them as you lot :)

post-503-136713594002_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713594028_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713594324_thumb.jpg

There is some good news :dance

I got all the bits back from the chrome platers today :dance:dance the finish is fantastic considering what I sent away, (I did spend an evening in the shed with a file removing dings and lines from rough castings) I was so happy I took a photo!!! :party2: the fender eyes are not 100% but would have been really hard to polish and most of each will be hidden anyway.

the second picture is the finished bottom, it has been caulked with cotton there is just the putty to be put in the seams then a liberal coat of tar varnish...

there is a little work to do on the skeg as we cut the pinacle plate off. You can see where there is a bit cut out so we can swing a bigger prop.

post-503-136713594349_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713594374_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive,

Things seem to be moving along nicely now, really good shots from your goodself too!

The signwriter certainly knows his trade...super job there!

Very few of those around these days with all these plastic / vynyl signs around.

They all have a use and a place, but for me the old fashioned writers are 'The Business', especially plying their trade on such a beautiful boat as she is!

Finding good chrome plating companies is becoming more difficult too these days, but those parts look good to me...even better when they're screwed down onto that lovely woodwork !

BTW the stern shot of mine you've posted is the one I noticed where your reflection shows a shadowy character embedded in the varnish. One for posterity!

I've placed a few shots of her on my web site ... thanks again for allowing me to do so!

Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

All planks are in, toe rails on, chine rubbers on, handrails fitted, bottom tarred, boot line painted decks painted, bilges scraped and painted floorboards in, back in the water on Wednesday morning, just got a bit more red paint to put on the hull before launching and a few bits to do when she is in (mainly drop engine in and dashboard)

Cant wait for Wednesday. MAN THE PUMPS!!!

she will be in the slipway for at least a day, then moved to the wet shed for the winter (or until the fleet have been winterised) then to the gantry to have engine put in, then BSS. Should be ready for taxing March (not before)

If she is not there give me a shout and I will take you to see her in the wet shed. I should be about. cheers