Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

There is more to come out yet as the planks which meet the hog wont detach without a fight so will have to have some part planks at least replaced.

we will aslso have to drop the rudder but as she has a 1 piece skeg it may involve either taking it off or chopping the end off, we will see how we get on but the boat should not be moved while bits are removed so jacking the back up is not an option.

This is why I beleive if you want to look good on the river get a fiberglass hull with a wooden top.

If this does not have the feel or smell of a wooden boat that you want, simply stand a bowl of sawdust in the cabin and mix in some old oil and diesel :lol:

This is why I beleive if you want to look good on the river get a fiberglass hull with a wooden top.

If this does not have the feel or smell of a wooden boat that you want, simply stand a bowl of sawdust in the cabin and mix in some old oil and diesel :lol:

Hi Clive: This is a very good, informative thread and anybody considering the purchase of an old "woody" girl would do well to read. As you said I suspect that many of the recent "moments of unusual interest" would not have been picked up by a surveyor. It is certainly a labour of love to restore these old girls.

I have read many threads regarding "wooden boat" ownership and their owners get very "sniffy" about fibreglass hulls citing that it is easier to repair wooden hulls. I must admit I remain to be convinced. ;)

Even one copied from an old veteran like yours wouldn't be really the same... :o

It looks like you got to her just in time, as the various "botched" repairs over the years were about to come back to haunt her.

What sort of timber are you using in the repairs and how long do you hope they will last?

(That new plank that went into the stern, (before the current problem came to light) looks a bit like a piece of knotty pine)

Martin

Hi Martin,

That is pine but its not knotty :o

As long as the wood put in is prepared well there is no reason why the planking should not last at least 20 odd years (i Hope)

the chine was a piece of knot free green oak and the hog and stern Knee which will be replaced are also oak which I should hope will do another 30-40 years as they have. (the stern knee would have done another 15-25? years but is not worth putting back as there is a little rot in it.)

Hi Clive: This is a very good, informative thread and anybody considering the purchase of an old "woody" girl would do well to read. As you said I suspect that many of the recent "moments of unusual interest" would not have been picked up by a surveyor. It is certainly a labour of love to restore these old girls.

I have read many threads regarding "wooden boat" ownership and their owners get very "sniffy" about fibreglass hulls citing that it is easier to repair wooden hulls. I must admit I remain to be convinced. ;)

I hope Clive won't mind me briefly hijacking his thread, but when the subject of surveyors comes up I feel obliged to make comment.

No survey on any boat of this size (or even one a fair bit smaller and less complicated) is guaranteed to find everything that may be wrong with that boat, as a survey is a non-destructive examination of those parts of the boat that can be seen by the surveyor. The best the surveyor can do is tell you what they've seen, and what they haven't been able to see (which is why so many survey reports have long lists of areas that were inaccessible and therefore not surveyed).

My personal advice to anyone contemplating buying a traditionally constructed wooden boat is only to do so if you enjoy owning, using, and maintaining traditionally contructed wooden boats. If you just want to go boating, then GRP, steel, ferrrocement, aluminium, or indeed modern wood/glass/epoxy composites (whether cold moulded, strip planked, glued lapstrake ply, or any other modern method makes little difference) can all be used to make decent boats that will require less maintenance, leaving more time and money for boating. Having said that, sailing a wooden boat is (in my humble opinion) totally different to sailing one built from anything else, and if you've got the bug for them then no amount of advice is likely to stop you from wanting one.

Actually, given that maintenance costs are roughly proportional to displacement, then instead of the GRP hull/wooden top combination, another option for those that like wood but can't afford the time and money to maintain a large wooden boat is to have a large GRP boat with a small wooden tender.

Ok, as I'm starting to ramble I should probably finish up and let everyone get back to admiring Broadsventure XII, much more sensible than reading my inane blather. :)

spot on regarding the survey, also we looked at her just as she came out of the water, she has been out over 3 months now and any dubious bits have dried out and split as have hard bits which are fine but dont look good :?

here are a couple more photos for you, one shows the stern knee this would be bolted through the hog and deadwood and the shorter bit goes up the transom, this one is made fron two pieces with a bolted lapjoint, this was a little rotten but nothing major, the new one will have rounded ends to make it look nice but nonone will ever see it!

The other photo shows the hog removed, the two planks left in were relatively new and the screws came out so we left them there, the others were either already out or had to be cut off. the bit of wood going up the middle is called the deadwood, this is a BIG chunk wood which the shaft goes through, it is bolted to the keel and has this little bit coming off which extends to the transom, the hog is screwed onto this and the planks screwed to the bottom of the hog.

we have made a scarph joint just in front of the wedge, the wood here is not rotten but it does have a split, this will be fine, removing the wedge is a bit of a big job as it means re-boreing the stern tube through it after it has all been removed and refitted so there is a bit of good news :dance

(the wedge is inside the boat, it is bolted to the deadwood and keel with the hog in the middle, the stern gland is attached to it and then the stern tube runs through this then the hog then the deadwood to the cutlass bearing outside the boat)

post-503-136713588716_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713588988_thumb.jpg

just got to add, in the photo above, the frame under the bulkhead has bits of rot in it :yawn:

not a major disaster as there was a plan to put what is called a 'floor' in her. This will be a 4X8 piece of oak which will span the hull and make up for the loss of strength from the removal of the bulkheads in the rest of the aft of the boat.

Progress!!! :dance

here we have a couple of pictures, one shows the new hog and stern knee (with the boss inspecting the good work)

and the other is the new stern knee, the one we took out only had a 1 inch screw holding the transom, we have put two nice big ones in to help damage limitation while I'm mooring :lol:

the ruddeer tube should have been bored this morning, the old one was wrong and was probably why the steering was stiff, I think I may be getting a bearing put in the pinacle plate which will be a nice touch as a boat would normally only have a plain bearing.

(the pinacle plate is the end bit of the skeg where the bottom of the rudder locates)

post-503-13671358959_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713589615_thumb.jpg

Looking good Clive cheers

Did Jasper approve?

well Jimbo,

he is happy with progress now but didnt understand why the hirefleet and private work takes priority, he thinks the quality of the work is second to none and cant wait for her to be taxed in the spring :dance

Great to see the latest progress being made Clive...but a shame that you have had to go further back with repairs and replacement than at first thought...

But I suppose better sooner than later eh!...She will be well worth it :love

The lads have certainly not lost their touch....

Hi Jasper :wave

Good to see another generation of Richardson casting an expert eye over what grandad created....Spot on

All the best

Hi Terry,

We have gone back far enough now and are moving forwards fairly quickly, we are aware of some soft bits coming on in the forward port chine and lower apron but will think about it in a couple of years when she is out for a few coats of varnish (going to let these ones harden off a bit)

As long as there are no hidden nasties in the Starboard chine we should be on the home straight and SHOULD be launching in a couple of weeks so everybody keep their fingers crossed please :)

that should just leave a few smaller jobs to do while she is in the water (and fit the engine)

Apart from the planking starting to go back in there has not been much to photograph or report..

Clive (Musiclive) came over and took a few photos last week and I had to put at least one up because they are fantastic shots :grin:

the cabin side has been rubbed down ready for varnish but still looks good!

click on image to make them the right size...

post-503-136713592589_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Clive,

A wonderful achievment so far and my photos do not do the work justice!

To see the real thing is something to behold, she is absolutely stunning and a real credit to those involved with this work.

I count myself lucky to have seen her in your workshed!

Thanks for inviting me to see her and for allowing me to take those shots!

Kind Regards,

Clive.

Clive! I told you a few old Pallets and a bit of P38 and she'd be looking good in no time, I must try and pop in a see her in the flesh, she's looking stunning,, :dance

Oh and if you need any more old pallets to finish her, let me know I have a few left,, :naughty:

Regards Frank,,,

indeed, it is amazing the finish you can get on P38 I dont need any more pallets but i could do with a few more straightened out nails to hold the planks on while the evo-stick is drying :naughty::naughty::naughty:

lots more progress today although I did not get a chance to visit, The next two days are going to see major leaps as lots of poeple have been thrown at different jobs on her in a bid to get her launched before the boats come in for the winter as I dont want her in the shed with the heater going and also she will be in the way (taking up nearly 4 bays :) )