Dodging Sailie Types

Gracie

Oh come on, Sailies, make the broads, I bet everyone has taken pictures of a fleet of Sailies crossing Barton broad. So when you are stuck behind one, just remember how lovely they make your holiday snaps look.

In a fleet of Sailies there's always one, though. Whilst most Sailies don't cross the entire river and leave some room for you to pass, there's always one that insists on going all the way across, and then very slowly tack back out of your way. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same Sailie all the time.

• Like 1

Oh come on, Sailies, make the broads, I bet everyone has taken pictures of a fleet of Sailies crossing Barton broad. So when you are stuck behind one, just remember how lovely they make your holiday snaps look.

In a fleet of Sailies there's always one, though. Whilst most Sailies don't cross the entire river and leave some room for you to pass, there's always one that insists on going all the way across, and then very slowly tack back out of your way. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same Sailie all the time.

Oh its absolutely wonderful on a sunday morning at the bend of the river near the Swan Inn with yachts, Really Spiffing! :naughty: .....Not! :norty:  :norty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Simon (BetweenTheSedge), I have no problem with Sailie types or any other River user as long as we all treat each other with respect and stay out of my way when I'm ruddy well helming Lol 

I love watching the Sailies and agree with you (once again) that they are a huge part of Broadland, hard work though, why don't they just get a Boat with an engine  :naughty:

Grace  :kiss

• Like 4

Actually, I'd be bored! There is lots to do all the time sailing, and you don't have the engine noise. On the other hand, we do spend a lot of time pottering locally, sailing Wroxham or Black Horse, rather than making the much longer trips that motor boaters make. It depends on what er... Floats your boat?

• Like 3

Recipe for surviving the 3RR without a sailing boat and simultaneously not getting in the way of said proceedings...

1. Add one off-river mooring with stern facing the river

2. Increase fridge to maximum chill

3. Mix in copious quantities of Peroni, Pouilly Fumé or Bollinger

4. Drizzle suntan lotion over exposed body parts(!)

5. Dress eyes with protective lenses.

6. Refer to point 3 again

7. See point 6

8. Enjoy the floating lunacy as it passes over the next couple of hours :)

Worked last year.  cheersbar

All above assumes that favourable weather is in place on the day of course...

• Like 3

No worries Geoff. I have it on very good authority from the BBC Weathermen - they never get it wrong - do they? - that you will have wall to wall sunshine when you and Wendy are there. There you go, job done! :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Oh I agree (yet again), some of them can be a bloody nuisance, sorry for all the broadland residents who had heard me shouting "Get off my bloody River!". It's only when I am away from the place that I start looking on everything in a different light, even sailies. They do always look good on the Norfolk Broads calendar.

• Like 3

When t's a bit blowy there is nothing nicer than overtaking the stinkies ....... even if it is short lived ...... the revenge of the stinkie soon follows around the next bend!!

Psst. Don't tell ..... but ..... a flappy has a huge amount of control  and manouverability when it's windy ... just keep your distance from "smelly" ... he is the exception to the above!!

• Like 4

Strange that MAFI's have so many uncomplimentary names. fart Boats, Stink Boats, Stinkies and Stench Boats for example whilst sailing boats just have nice names, don't they? 

I'm sure I saw a yacht last year called Passing Wind, which would qualify under all the examples you mentioned :Sailing

Strange that MAFI's have so many uncomplimentary names. fart Boats, Stink Boats, Stinkies and Stench Boats for example whilst sailing boats just have nice names, don't they? 

We have plenty of names for yachts...but we civilized people with a proper means of propulsion are far too gentlemanly to use them...until we get thrutched with a bowsprit & even then the worst that will issue from our mouths will be 'Oh bother!', maybe 'Dang it!' if the damage is severe or we spilled a drink. You just ask Maurice Mynah...when he got thrutched he just tutted...honest!  :angel:

• Like 4