Dodging Sailie Types

Gracie

Why is it that most girls me included go into complete panic mode when faced with a Yacht coming towards them, I know some of you on here have wives that react as i do, have you ever thought of standing firm and insisting that she pass the yacht as my husband did when we were on Major Gem 2.

I was happily motoring along with the roof back when just over the reeds i could see the unmistakable white sheet thingy about to come round the bend and face me, other half was sitting on the saloon seat reading, as I was about to do my usual thing of jumping up and shouting 'YACHT' my husband very kindly announced that he would not take the helm and would guide me through, (at this point I was looking at him in complete horror, through gritted teeth and thought I would divorce him the moment we were on dry land) to cut a long story short it was the first time in over twenty years I actually passed a Yacht, if any of you sailie types on here happened to see a very demented woman jumping up and down shouting 'I DID IT, I DID IT', waving at you frantically that would probably have been me. Whether i am brave enough next time is any ones guess, my next challenge is to shoot Ludham Bridge, hell and freezing over springs to mind Lol

Grace

• Like 9

Grace.. no one is going to answer your question honestly!!!  :hardhat:  :hardhat:  :hardhat:  

:Sailing  are easy.. Just pass behind them.. You don't need to stick to the right side of the water (if it's empty), so feel free to go the other side... it's 10x easier on the southern broads though!

You should find it gets easier the more times you do it so instead of chickening out just keep doing it.. nothing will go wrong if you give them plenty of room (so slowly approach them)

If it helps my mums the same and yup she's a typical women driver.... :swordpir:

• Like 2

Grace.. no one is going to answer your question honestly!!!  :hardhat:  :hardhat:  :hardhat:  

:Sailing  are easy.. Just pass behind them.. You don't need to stick to the right side of the water (if it's empty), so feel free to go the other side... it's 10x easier on the southern broads though!

You should find it gets easier the more times you do it so instead of chickening out just keep doing it.. nothing will go wrong if you give them plenty of room (so slowly approach them)

If it helps my mums the same and yup she's a typical women driver.... :swordpir:

Bang goes your inheritance Alan  :naughty: Women driver....oops! :norty:

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Of my entire family, my mother was the best boat handler, even receiving praise from both Alan and Janet Royall when watching her bring  Royal Ambassador in to moor at their yard.

It is my opinion that for some unaccountable reason some men feel unable to recognize that handling a boat does not require testosterone. the skill favours neither gender. It may even be argued that it's better for the male on board to do the rope work rather than the helm when mooring as some extra strength might be required in strong tides or windy conditions.

I take my hat off to your hubby for encouraging you. Now all he needs to do is build on your confidence so you instinctively think "This is going to be fun" when approaching any potential hazard.

Sailies are like mice, They're more afraid of you than you are of them. (and they can easily be squashed if necessary :) )

• Like 7

Grace, I just loved the way you explained your confrontation with that yacht or sailey thing as you describe them,  :Sailing

You are not alone. Wendy will become a member of your fan club, when she gets at the helm. I can just see her now as panic sets in as we meet a blooming big Norfolk Wherry, :saily:

approaching from a bend in the river. Not only will she panic on confronting a yacht, but will still go into panic mode as we approach another cruiser :Stinky coming in the opposite direction. We are taking some L plates with us, just to warn other boaters, that the lady behind the wheel is a complete novice, and needs a wide berth.

The other time when panic will set in, is attempting to moor the boat, which she will need to get right, before we can remove the L plates. As for myself, mooring won't be a doddle either, as it's quite a long time since I was at the helm of a boat and that was a 50ft narrowboat on the canals about ten years ago. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Bring on the yachts and the bridges I say its the only time I tend to be able to be at the helm.

What we need is some tunnels on the Broads, that way I might have control of the boat for more than 5 minutes :naughty:  :hardhat:

Regards

Alan

Good idea about the tunnels Alan, one from Straceys Arms over to Braydon would save us the drag to GY :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Of my entire family, my mother was the best boat handler, even receiving praise from both Alan and Janet Royall when watching her bring  Royal Ambassador in to moor at their yard.

It is my opinion that for some unaccountable reason some men feel unable to recognize that handling a boat does not require testosterone. the skill favours neither gender. It may even be argued that it's better for the male on board to do the rope work rather than the helm when mooring as some extra strength might be required in strong tides or windy conditions.

I take my hat off to your hubby for encouraging you. Now all he needs to do is build on your confidence so you instinctively think "This is going to be fun" when approaching any potential hazard.

Sailies are like mice, They're more afraid of you than you are of them. (and they can easily be squashed if necessary :) )

"You have a go at steering Mum!" says the youngest lad.

The other half reluctantly agrees.

"Turn to port a bit." instructs the lad as the other half takes over.

"Come to port Mum!" the lad's getting nervous as we head for the bank.

"Mum! Turn left!" the lad yells as the bank now looms ever closer.

"MUM! YOUR OTHER BLOODY LEFT!" he screams as I take over the helm.

An hour later, over lunch at a hostelry in Wroxham my other half informs us she wishes to take car driving lessons and I should swap my car for something smaller that she can handle. What was the next car I bought? V8... Estate!!

As for saily things Grace, I now use the Uncle Albert method. Wait for them to indicate their intentions and then pass behind them. Of course if they fail to indicate their intention Uncle Albert's hand gestures are optional!

• Like 3

I like sailing boats particularly those wee things with a low freeboard , I find they sink quicker in your wash !

That's what thrusters are for  - fill 'em up as they pass close to the stern  lol :taunt::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alex

Time to sharpen my bowsprit and replace the bob-stay with a saw blade!

• Like 3