Whose dongle or whatever do you use?

BroadScot

Hi All,

With Easter weekend nearlly upon us, I got to thinking about those who will be out and about on the rivers with their mobile devices. We all I think know about the infamous "Black Hole" of Horning reception, although I do believe some now, can get reception there, lucky sods is all I can say on that one! :naughty:

So it would be interesting if you could report back after the holiday break and let us all know which dongle or other unit you were able to use, in different places.

What about free WIFI? Where can we get that out on the rivers.

I fully appreciate many of you want to get away from such things, but thought it may be of interest to some if not the many.

cheers Iain.

Hello Iain,

In our information pages is information regarding Broads WiFi.

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/7-visiting-the-broads/

Click on the link then click on Broads Wifi.

When on the Marina I use the Tingdene WiFi, else where I tend to use my phone as a portable WiFi, the results are reasonable other than Horning or Loddon (in Loddon there is area less a couple of square metres where you can get any phone reception).

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

I'm going to get one of these eventually:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5330_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Although when I'm on the boat the last thing I do is reach for modern technology. The lack of internet connection for me is part of the pleasure of the broads.  But apparently three has the better connection and I never experienced too much of a problem on my mobile  which is on three (but as I say I don't really reach for it ).

cheers

• Like 2

My plan is to use the boat like a TARDIS and travel back in time to the days whe there were no such interruptions to enjoying the Broads.

Although the boat does have the option of Wifi and we do have a 3 mifi unit we like to get away from it all so don't plan on using it.

The phone is for emergency use only or for contacting yacht stations, bridges etc but will be off when not needed.

David

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

I too have a "3" Dongle and apart from the black hole of Horning its been ok as long as you don't try to send pics. I have even watched a bit of footie from Sky or BT with it lol. 

I find it handy for the likes of webcams (when they are working) to check moorings etc.

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Well I am going to be able to compare dongles because I will be taking my Trusty Three MiFi that has rarely let me down and at least given 3G speeds but often higher.  My girlfriend though is bringing a far newer EE 4G MiFi - to be honest in London it does work very well and is very fast, but it also eats battery power like no tomorrow and gets very warm to hold.

Her data allowance is better being a monthly Contract but then I only use my dongle when afloat so the top up route £15.00 for 3GB is what I am used to even if on the expensive side.  Both units are made by the unpronounceable Huawei - I will shoot some video of the speed test results and signal  strengths.

Often it is not the network operator that determines signal quality but the device. iPhones for example have very low power antennas and get quite a poor signal. Sony Xperias on the other hand have quite effective antennas and generally receive stronger signals.

That said, a dedicated mifi unit will usually get a better signal and many allow an external antenna to be attached. Using a failry standard Vodaphone Hauwei mifi with an external antenna unlocked with a Virgin Moble card I get sufficient signal in Horning to sed and receive emails, browse the web and even "tunnel" into online games I play.

Whose dongle do I use? Iain...my own!

Like Robin I have the Three Mifi...but if I'm really really honest...what I actually do is forget about the internet until I'm within walking distance of Stalham and use the Tesco Broadband. I do however have a triple Sim phone so one of em usually gets a signal.

Huawei...as a lifelong Newcastle fan... is of course pronounced 'Why aye' man!

• Like 3

I have a Huawei mobile router with a plug-in high gain arial. I use a Three prepaid data Sim and can get a usable signal just about everywhere on the northern Broads, including the infamous black hole of Horning, from where I am posting this.

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

We are going on holiday for the peace and quiet and to enjoy the wildlife and lovely surroundings of the Broads. To just get away from everyday life for a week. All we are taking is our own bog standard mobile phones, for emergency and use whilst on holiday. No computer, laptop, ipad, dongle or any other type of dingle, ding a ling, ding dong, dangle. It is doubtful that we will be watching much television either. Plenty of the good stuff instead  cheers  cheers  cheers

For those that can't live without modern technology, enjoy your dongling!

• Like 2