warning boat theft and tresspassing

650xs

I had a chat with the yard here. The thief's from here came in buy water. They removed two brand new outboards thankfully cleanly... throttle cables and battery cables too. Both were bolted and secured using insurance approved devices so they have some good cutting gear. as they are only going for new outboards if you have a new outboard at least remove the cover and replace with a broads beat cover and don't leave outboards on the back if they can be removed. Apparently the police are patrolling and are catching up with them.. good luck to the police.

A sad outcome for the owner of the boat, their pride & joy left in the state shown above, the effects of finding their boat in that state must be devastating.

Sadly we unfortunately are seeing this more often over the last few years, outboards cut out of transoms, and boats being left in ruins.

The people who do this have no conscious at all. With any luck eventually they will come across someone worse than them.

Maybe a hunting camera would work as far as capturing an image of the thieves.

Static camera in a box which triggers to take a photo when something moves past it.

If one could be hidden in a cabin, engine bay or on a nearby tree it would be less obvious than a cctv camera and might finally get a face to put with the crimes. Branden

There is a device that can text you if there is any movement on the boat, you can remotely switch it on and it can also control a radio or a light.

unfortunatly I don't know the name but a good google search should find something.  ;)

But with all these hirers (Mystic Horizon) for one came in at stalham turned round gave my boat a good whallop and then proceeded to leg it.

yes, I saw you Mystic Horizon.... stay away from this boat this week, Surprised both vessels didn't sustain any damage.

Having viewed a few CCTV pictures in my time so many are beyond useless, particularly in the dark. You won't stop them if they really want it but you need to do enough to make them go for easier pickings.

It's not all a one way street though- we got a couple of car thieves in a stolen car last weekend. Stolen at knifepoint none the less. They didn't come quietly either.

• Like 1

After having my boat broken into I fitted a alarm last weekend which sends a text and phones me up when activated. Don't know what else to do really

A good idea John. However if you live several miles from your boat it has its limitations.

To involve a security company to respond to an activation would be expensive and possibly not very effective.

But perhaps, just perhaps, a Boat Watch system could be introduced. It would not be beyond the wit of man to form a group, a non profit organisation, of like minded people, who would receive text alert of an attack on a boat. If close to the vicinity they possibly could respond and observe.

I am not suggesting for one minute to interfere, that would be foolish, but certainly a call to the police to confirm criminal activity would be a step forward.

Finally, a prominent notice, on the boat, stating that BOAT WATCH is present, and will result in an immediate response might just be sufficient for the criminals to go elsewhere.

• Like 3

A good idea John. However if you live several miles from your boat it has its limitations.

To involve a security company to respond to an activation would be expensive and possibly not very effective.

But perhaps, just perhaps, a Boat Watch system could be introduced. It would not be beyond the wit of man to form a group, a non profit organisation, of like minded people, who would receive text alert of an attack on a boat. If close to the vicinity they possibly could respond and observe.

I am not suggesting for one minute to interfere, that would be foolish, but certainly a call to the police to confirm criminal activity would be a step forward.

Finally, a prominent notice, on the boat, stating that BOAT WATCH is present, and will result in an immediate response might just be sufficient for the criminals to go elsewhere.

If it goes off I will just ring the police. You never know they may have someone in a car nearby. I think they would like to catch these people as they are being pretty busy robbing stuff.

The theft of an outboard. What it can really mean.

A local gentleman's pride an joy. One of his greatest pleasures was to take his grandchildren on the river.

Sadly no more. Not content with stealing they also trashed the boat.

It is difficult to put into words the contempt one has for these people.

That is shocking....what else went walkabouts?

That is shocking....what else went walkabouts?

Jasper, Hi.

The problem is the scrotes may use a petrol-powered angle grinder to take out the transom and all the fittings together with the outboard.

I am an supporter of Jon's methods, drastic though they may be!

Jasper, Hi.

The problem is the scrotes may use a petrol-powered angle grinder to take out the transom and all the fittings together with the outboard.

I am an supporter of Jon's methods, drastic though they may be!

Battery powered ones are now available, which i'm told will go through pretty robust padlocks etc..

In the early 80's i remember my uncle chatting about when he and a "posse" from the "Conny Club" in Blakeney caught some thieving ****** at Moreston.. on the third night's stake-out! I think asked at the time if they had handed him over to police. My uncle turned to me, winked, and said "eventually!"

I guess i AM advocating a mild form of vigilantism, voluntary security patrol.. because believe me - if they think they can get away with it - and they have been - they'll be back.

The broads is such a special place, worth defending from these b*st*rds.. :swordpir:  

(Ooh.. that got a bit robust.. but i DID give up evil nasty fags last monday :blush: )

• Like 4

Talking to Broads Beat at Horning Boat Show about the thefts from our marina last year and today learnt they have been back at the Weekend. Six more were taken at the weekend ,seems incredible as there would have been people on their boats ,I would not like to confront them as it appears to be an organised gang.

It is a real shame to hear all this, I remember a while back when it was the odd report here and there of a oat being broken into etc now it seems a weekly event.

At the end of the day it may very well not be just one ‘gang’ but two maybe three, words spreads and the risk seems pretty small compared to the gain.  You’ve got a very healthy supply on the Broads and even where people may have been targeted once they might be again once they have had their new equipment installed after their insurance paid out (again maybe not targeted by the same people).

It is all very well to talk about what to do with the people who do this and ideas of groups clubbing together and launching ‘night patrols’ to catch them in the act – I don’t agree with this because think about it 3-4 people highly motivated with little to loose get confronted by some other chaps ‘hey stop’ what do you really think is going to happen?  It will go from a crime of theft to GBH in a moment leave aside the injuries.

What I do think would be helpful is if the owners of the marinas were the ones to bring in outside security contractors – to cover the area at night complete with a couple of Alsatians.  It would not take long for the thrives to leave the area well alone not so much because of the risk of the ‘plastic police’ coming after them, more the risk of the dogs having a good few bites before they were called away.

The problem is that would cost a fair bit night in and out and as one marina becomes far safer those without such security become much more inviting to the criminals.  

At the very least I think the marinas need to have proper full coverage CCTV – not just the odd camera mounted up high on the side of the main building or a pole that would never capture any clear image of people coming and going. It also seems popular to enter these places at night via the water – why can’t the entrance to the marina not have some kind of barrier that if tampered with would set an alarm off?

It just seems that Police are being overwhelmed and underfunded but doing the best they can, the owners of marinas are not wanting to do too much more than the bare basics for security and so the poor boat owner has to do his best to keep the boat safe and if the worse happens their insurance would increase.

• Like 3

Kind of balances it up a bit, you've got scum that break into boats with no thought for any one but themselves and then you've got people like CaptinDread who makes a very kind offer, nice one Captin  :clap

Grace

Wendy & I met Jasper (Captain Dred) twice whilst on holiday. He is a nice guy and I am sure he will be watching out for these scumbags. If your reading this Jasper, hope we meet you again in Sept. cheers

• Like 3

Please see below an interesting contribution to this issue from PC Stuart Does.

The first step owners should take is to ensure the most secure and suitable anti-theft device for their particular engine and boat is installed. In some local constabularies police have introduced branded engine covers which are fitted instead of the standard factory supplied cowling. This acts as a deterrent as a thief would then be forced to buy a new cowling, thereby drawing attention to themselves and arousing suspicion. Any engine that can be removed easily is an obvious target for thieves and, given the growing scale of the problem, many owners are deciding to fit more than one anti-theft device. Obviously the more visibly secure an engine is, the less likely it is that a thief will attempt to take it. Given the poor rates of recovery success, prevention is definitely better than cure and not only for this reason but also because if a loss does occur it may affect the price of future insurance premiums.

Owners should also ensure that their insurance policy wording relating to anti-theft devices are complied with in full to avoid the possibility of a claim being invalidated due to failure to comply with all policy wordings. Owners should further ensure that all serial numbers are recorded as this information will be required by insurers and the police in the event of a theft. It is also worth bearing in mind that claims made on marine policies for outboard motors are paid on an indemnity basis as unfortunately there is no provision or entitlement to a new-for-old settlement.

Further security measures include marking the engine somewhere with your own unique mark such as a post code and also taking photographs

Technological advances in recent years have made motion-activated surveillance cameras (MASC) very discrete and inexpensive to buy and install. These automatically photograph and/or record any movement and wireless cameras have made surveillance possible in remote areas where it was not in the past. There are a range of general purpose MASC’s that can be used although not all will have adjustable sensitivity or be suitable to mount directly on a boat, although these may be suitable for shore mounted use.

There are also a range of marine specific infra-red, solar powered and time-lapse video security cameras available. When storing a boat ashore consideration should be given to general security, such as lighting and ensuring that recorded CCTV covers the appropriate part of the yard being used.

Boat and yard owners should also be vigilant, particularly during autumn and winter months when dark nights begin to set in.

Finally there is some evidence of smaller engines being stolen from boats while they are afloat, so a collective effort is required by all concerned to be observant and alert and to report any suspicious activity immediately to the police.

Pc 1045 Stuart DOE

Wildlife Crime Investigator

North Walsham Police Station Yarmouth Road, North Walsham.

Telephone - 101

email - does@norfolk.pnn.police.uk

London Rascal quote:

What I do think would be helpful is if the owners of the marinas were the ones to bring in outside security contractors – to cover the area at night complete with a couple of Alsatians. It would not take long for the thrives to leave the area well alone not so much because of the risk of the ‘plastic police’ coming after them, more the risk of the dogs having a good few bites before they were called away."

Manned security can be very expensive. You would probably be looking at somewhere in the range of £30 per hour. £360 per night. Not sure about the dog bit, the guards would have to have licences issued by the SIA and I am not sure if they authorise the use of dogs. I think not.