Donation box at Wroxham

fishtone

Erm ....  me actually!!

You never know when these snippets of information will reap rewards.

I do!

Not important to many, that I accept, but I think it worth retaining and maintaining the traditions and terminology of our maritime heritage in all its many facets. For example wearing the right flag in the right place.

There is a written convention for the flying of flags, which applies to military, as well as civilian, situations. No 'ifs' or 'buts' (well, not many). However, criticising the BA for using a term which 1) the vast majority of people will understand and 2) is supported by both English and American definitions, is, IMO, unjustified.

Organisations, be they clubs, associations or services (armed or otherwise) will, undoubtedly, wish for their members to conform to certain standards. But, in the context of this thread, we are talking about a sign that is exhibited to be read, principally, by holiday makers, who will fly all manner of emblems, from all manner of fixing points, because they are here to enjoy themselves, rather than to impress anyone with their knowledge of flag etiquette, or their ability to tie the reverse double-spliced inverted fisherman's turle knot.

Hardly perfectionism, more pedantry. English and American dictionaries disagree with you. Who actually cares?

To be honest I would rather believe the Royal Navy before any dictionary. the RN knew what they were doing long before any dictionary did!

As to whether or not anyone cares . Who cares if they care or not, and who cares after them etc etc  - apparently you might!

Griff

• Like 3

This is the Broads and leisure boats we're talking about here, for heaven's sake. Except for the very few trip boat skippers, rangers and the like, we are ALL amateurs, we don't get paid for enjoying our hobby.

Time to lighten up and stop trying to impose military standards, discipline and jargon on the holiday makers, and every leisure boat owner or hirer is a holiday maker, no matter what their boat or background. When in Rome...

Back on topic, why should the BA not accept and even solicit donations, which are, by definition, voluntary? Better, perhaps, that tolls should increase? Local authorities seek 'sponsorship' for roundabouts, police forces ask for 'sponsorship' for vehicles. Should they be decried, because we pay council tax to provide these things?

The time to start complaining is when the BA proposes to install parking meters, rather than donation boxes.

• Like 2

Is it not probable Dave, that they got it right in the first dictionary and only later (when standards had dropped) let it change?

Geoff, It is my view that what people do is their own affair, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a right and wrong way. Pedants just enjoy chewing over the finer details.... as I would say you knew only too well :)

A few minutes researching the etymology of the words 'moor' and 'berth' shows that the verb 'to moor' was used as early as the 15th century to describe the securing of a vessel by means of cable or rope. The noun 'berth', meaning 'convenient sea room (for vessel or sailor)' emerged in the early 17th century, with the verb 'to berth' developing later on.

I'm happy to be a traditionalist and use the old expression to describe how I tie my boat up in a parking space, rather than the new-fangled made-up jive talk.

Parking space,  :shocked

I bring my boat into a mooring (= a place where a boat or ship is moored), secure it with ropes (to moor = to secure a vessel with lines or anchors), and leave it there until I wish to continue my journey (to park = temporarily to leave something in a particular place).

So the space in which I have left it is a parking space :rolleyes:

Hmmm, is there still a death penalty for heresy?

• Like 1

We don't own our own boat or pay any tolls or mooring fees, but for once or twice a year, whilst hiring a boat for our holidays, as a visitor to this lovely part of England, we don't object to giving a small donation towards Free Moorings, or using the watering facilities. I am aware that tolls etc are coved in the hire of the boat. Even being pensioners like us, doesn't stop us from contributing a few bob towards the upkeep of these moorings, some of which are kept nice by local residents. I know it is voluntary Maurice, to leave a donation and not compulsory. But we just feel that leaving a small donation, is welcomed and appreciated.

• Like 4