Donation box at Wroxham

fishtone

I see there is a 2lb hammer :pcwhack:  on Broadway all i need to bring is one of my old cold chisels JM...Job done! :naughty:  All joking apart, what next will the BA come up with to eek even more money out of both Hirer and Privateer!

cheers Iain

• Like 2

I have to admit that I go a bit Foggy Dewhurst with the old coin purse when it comes to donation boxes. Particularly the sort that come with a notice of the 'recommended donation'.

tve18367-19791002-190.jpg

Having said that, there's one donation box I always make a contribution to and that's the one at Barton Turf. Bins, water, and the place is spotlessly clean and beautiful.

• Like 1

Like others! I won't donate for something I already pay for but I think these donation post are aimed more at the hirers, I moored at Wroham most weekends last season and can honestly say I didn't see one person donate anything, Dogs found them quite handy though so perhaps Dog owners should pay something for the convenience, I hate to think what the cost was for installing them as they seem to be popping up everywhere now, I have no problem donating at Parish moorings and even put a bit extra in the box, but what next from BA toll barriers on the entrance and exits to rivers, if they want to spend money on something usefull then traffic lights at Wroxham and Ludham bridges would be fine by me, even though I always sound my very loud hooter, I've lost count of the near misses at those two bridges, and those pilots at Wroxham seen to have their own river rules, like flat out and get out of my way I'm coming through like it or not, luckily my new old boat won't go under Wroxham so I won't have to suffer them any more, :taunt: 

Frank,,,,,

• Like 4

Since my temporary licence fee for The Broads is somewhat twice what I pay elsware I am blowed if I am going to be fleeced again by putting money in those boxes.

I suggest that if the Broads Authority needs more money it should tighten its belt, cut out all the jollys for the boys, cut wastage by more supervision on issue from the stores dept, cut unnecessary jobs etc.

It happens in other industries so why not BA?

• Like 1

Hurumph!!!

(Putting on my best Victor Meldrew voice) I DON'T BELIEVE IT !!!

The BA are asking for VOLUNTARY contributions.

To whom do they put this request?

EVERYBODY WHO USES THE FACILITY.

Now, for those of you who might be unclear about what is meant by "Everybody", it includes those who sit on the bench eating their Roy's Macdonalds. those who feed the birds, those who fish,those who watch the three previous groups, those who loiter outside the toilets and the boaters.

Dare I say that the boaters might even be the smallest of those groups. (ok, I kinda hope it's the toilet loiterers who make up the smallest group but, hey, what ever lights their candle)

Of those groups only one thus far is actually paying already. and as has already been said... it's a voluntary contribution.

• Like 9

Talking to Caroline from Rosie Leas in Loddon, she was saying about how the buisnesses and villagers work together to promote the villages and their activities. The local buisnesses and villagers put a lot of effort into organizing events etc, not to mention decorating the streets and staithe, and they also keep it tidy too. So if THEY put out a donation box, then i`d make a generous one immediately.

• Like 6

Just to be clear, the parish council and the BA look after the Park and moorings between them, each having there own responsibilities. Roy's look after there own car park and occasionally do a litter pick and collect trollies.  

The kings Head look after there own frontage.

MM, they were placed by the BA

I thought the BA had tolls for maintaining staithes? So I assume its the same type as the Reedham Quay one? But the one at Womack water IS a Parish Council one? Think I need a box of headache pills, this is becoming very complicated! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Questions that come to mind are:-

1)  How much did it cost to install these begging boxes?

2) Did the BA get planning permission to put them there?

3) How much does it cost to have someone go around ( probably in a vehicle supplied by the BA) to empty all the foreign coins and fag ends that are dropped in the slot?

It sounds to me that at some time in the future the BA will be saying " Because we don't get much income from the donation boxes we are unfortunately going to have to increase the tolls by an extra ?%. to help to pay for the moorings.

Jeff

• Like 4

Like Jeff I fear that this is the probable precursor for a tolls hike, it's the way of things at Thorpe House, underhand. These 'charity' boxes, however much they yield, won't yield enough to maintain the mooring. If we want to maintain the mooring then the tolls will have to go up. Just watch & see if I'm not right! In the meantime the BA should use OUR tolls for what they are intended for.

• Like 2

This ploy is not a new thing.

My ex employers (and good riddance to them) used this. Every member of staff was invited to contribute to charity through their pay. When my employers saw what staff had spare from their pay guess what?.................They re arranged the staff grade system which in effect reduced our pay.

Beware of putting money in these boxes. BA get quite enough money from us toll payers. They just need to spend it on the navigation. 

• Like 1

If the BA are involved in asking for MORE money, be it a donation or not, then sorry I think they have a cheek! 

Speaking as a hirer, there is only so much money we can contribute to the area. 

Does it state both Parish and BA on this donation post please?

Just to clear everything up. Ooops forgot, can't do that now with less bins!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

I can see why local authorities are reducing their support, why should local communities pay for toilets and waste bins that they don't personally use? Okay, so I'm playing devils advocate here but if I go to Centre Parcs, for example, I expect to find waste bins and toilets, I also expect that they are paid for out of my admission charge. The Broads and Centre Parcs only differ in size, so perhaps a greater business rate should be paid by the holiday companies to provide such facilities for their customers? Just a thought.