Donation box at Wroxham

fishtone

I noticed that most of the watering places have a donation box, which we donated after filling our tank, but there were quite a few boaters, who filled up and left without putting something in the box. For the whole week, it cost us about £5 for water and £15 for a pump out at Ludham Bridge boatyard. 

It's Voluntary, I say again...

It's voluntary...

That's "Voluntary". Nobody HAS to contribute,...

Yes folks, VOLUNTARY, not OBLIGATORY...

If you don't want to contribute, you don't have to, that's what "Voluntary" means...

Voluntary means never saying you MUST...

You don't want to, then don't. You don't have to.

I shall, You need not!

:)

• Like 2

I don't understand why putting donation box's around the system is a problem.

They have already paid for themselves and it costs nothing to empty them.

Believe it or not, they do have to be emptied quite often, which is done by the Rangers on there patrols.

The worst part of that is not fag butts or foreign coins, THEY STINK. Dogs love em :).

As MM said, you don't have to donate, it IS voluntary ,anything that helps keep the tolls down is worth a go.

JM pointing out that tolls will go up is a fairly safe bet, unfortunately everything does, that's life. :roll:

JM pointing out that tolls will go up is a fairly safe bet, unfortunately everything does, that's life. :roll:

The point is, Andy, that the tolls needn't go up for several years, provided that over 40% of the tolls isn't continually hijacked to make up the shortfall in the DEFRA grant.

Just so everyone knows what is being complained about, here are a couple of photos. The first one shows that the donation post isn't exactly making it's presence felt in a heavy-handed way. The second one shows the signage, which makes it perfectly clear that it is a donation, not a charge.

I can't see any problem with it, nor with the BA posts that sugggest a donation for the water supplied. Everybody's at it. I've been in contact with Norman Lamb, the LibDem North Norfolk MP, regarding the Broads Authority. I have now had emails from him (and Baroness Williams) asking for a donation to his 'fighting fund'.

But everyone is free to donate or not, to whatever cause they please. But, if you don't ask, you don't get.

post-117-0-81716900-1430152172_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-83272700-1430152183_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

. Everybody's at it. I've been in contact with Norman Lamb, the LibDem North Norfolk MP, regarding the Broads Authority. I have now had emails from him (and Baroness Williams) asking for a donation to his 'fighting fund'.

To them i would return an e-mail requesting them to be crystal clear WHY they`re asking me for a donation, when (like the BA) they`ve had more than enough already, though this time through my income tax and VAT, not to mention various forms of stealth tax. 

I`d also ask them to be crystal clear in writing, asking them why they`re asking me for a donation as soon as i`d ask them to look into something?. That to me sounds possibly a bit like they`ll only do what they`re elected to do if you pay them, cash for questions possibly, which incidentally, one MP was sent to prison for?.

As for the comment, they cost nothing to empty,  absolute rubbish, especially when you`re getting rangers to do it on their rounds, which is taking them away from PROPER ranger duties. I`d also like to know what extra protection the rangers have to have when some scummy little mugger chances his (or her?) arm at relieving said ranger of any monies collected?. It all costs extra, and will be coming out of our toll monies.

• Like 3

As for the comment, they cost nothing to empty,  absolute rubbish, especially when you`re getting rangers to do it on their rounds, which is taking them away from PROPER ranger duties. I`d also like to know what extra protection the rangers have to have when some scummy little mugger chances his (or her?) arm at relieving said ranger of any monies collected?. It all costs extra, and will be coming out of our toll monies.

Re the risk of theft, are the Rangers insured for collecting this cash. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry but I get the point that these are intended to be voluntary and I understand the BA's logic there but that wording isn't written as such. It's very much "Other people do the smart thing so why aren't you?" It is quite clearly aimed at those mooring and not at all "users" which once again the tolls (and hire fees) pay for, I wouldn't be so offended if it was worded more to say "If you have enjoyed these facilities please make a small donation to make them better" etc. My tolls including the dinghy was close to £400 for the year so I don't expect such thing on a BA mooring.   I know when I paid my tolls the BA chap mentioned that the staff have all brainstormed ways to make money.. but this is wrong.. If anything they should target all users and add value to the mooring.  Come on BA use more Brain and less storm.

• Like 5

JO (sorry shortening your name now).

Think about it - it would take over 300 boats like yours to pay the chief execs salary alone.

The Rangers probably have to collect the tips - sorry donation money - to pay their wages.

Now if you get a bigger boat they can take those tip - sorry donation - boxes down

• Like 2

The boxes take 2 minutes to empty whilst the Rangers are doing there proper jobs of inspecting the moorings. Rangers have been collecting money for short visit tolls, annual tolls and electric cards for years,  

I was not bothered about them one way or the other until seeing the signage - I agree with JO,

WHY is it targeted soley at boat owners/hirers ??  They are already paying for the service through their tolls/hire fees!

It should imho be politely aimed at anyone who uses the facilities not just those that berth there :mad:

On and sorry to be a perfectionist but ones 'Moors' to a buoy and 'Berths' to terra firma / pontoons etc - the BA can't even get that correct :dunce:

Griff

• Like 3

I was not bothered about them one way or the other until seeing the signage - I agree with JO,

WHY is it targeted soley at boat owners/hirers ??  They are already paying for the service through their tolls/hire fees!

It should imho be politely aimed at anyone who uses the facilities not just those that berth there :mad:

On and sorry to be a perfectionist but ones 'Moors' to a buoy and 'Berths' to terra firma / pontoons etc - the BA can't even get that correct :dunce:

Griff

Hardly perfectionism, more pedantry. English and American dictionaries disagree with you. Who actually cares?

• Like 1

I thought long before I added this. I DO NOT MEAN TO SUGGEST THAT ANYONE EMPTYING THESE BOXES MAY BE DISHONEST, however, all such boxes where the contents are "random", should be emptied by at least two people, counted and recorded, in order to avoid any accusations of dishonesty. Not sure if this is law, but certainly good practice. When Rangers collect other money as described by A.J.B. above, receipts and or licences are given which have to be accounted for. Therefore, were I a ranger I would not empty one of these boxes unless I had a colleague with me. I am not sure if this happens now.

Again I am not suggesting any dishonesty, but protection against false accusations. If the money drops into a sealed container, obviously this would not apply at the scene, but the sealed container should still be opened by two people.

• Like 2

Hello Johnb,

Good point.

I would have thought that the insurance covering collecting & transporting cash would be an heavy premium and of course you are charged a higher fee for banking cash.

Years ago I was involved in the Amusement Trade, I was a service engineer but part of my job was to fit alarm systems and lockable boxes into all of the collectors vans when new collectors were hired.

Any company invovling cash knows the pitfalls involved with its collection and from a personal point of view if I were a ranger I would refuse to get involved with its implementation from a honesty point of view.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hardly perfectionism, more pedantry. English and American dictionaries disagree with you. Who actually cares?

I do!

Not important to many, that I accept, but I think it worth retaining and maintaining the traditions and terminology of our maritime heritage in all its many facets. For example wearing the right flag in the right place.

• Like 4