Acle Bridge Toilets update.

BroadScot

Hi All,

I wrote to BDC who forwarded my mail to Gt Yarmough BC this is their reply.

Your email to Broadland District Council in respect of the closure of the public toilets at Acle Bridge has been forwarded to me to reply. I note your concerns.

The provision of public toilets by local authorities is not a statutory responsibility. Whilst recognising the importance of maintaining vital services the Council has had to take a number of difficult decisions to help balance the budget in these extremely difficult financial times. The decision to close some of the  public toilets was not one taken lightly.

All public toilets in the Borough were considered by a cross party group of Councillors before the list of possible closures was arrived at.

However, I can inform you the Council has approached local businesses who benefit from the provision of the toilets to try and arrive at a solution that will see the toilets reopen, perhaps under private ownership. That work is continuing.

Regards

Glenn Buck

Environmental Services Group Manager

Great Yarmouth Borough Council

Telephone: 01493 846413

E-mail: gb@great-yarmouth.gov.uk

So now you have the latest update!

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Maybe if the councilors had all had a few drinks of coffee or tea and then gone on a bumpy roadtrip journey by minibus to inspect all of the facilities they may have decided on another outcome.
The benifits of having the key to the execitive washrooms seems make them remote from normal people.

Regards
Alan

• Like 4

Come to Gt Yarmouth for a holiday, but, for godsake DON'T Drink or EAT as there are little or NO places to put rubbish or err you know what! Great advert for a "Holiday Resort" hmmmmm.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Its about the equivalent of £1.00 at Zurich Station if you wish to use a cubicle and well worth the money for an attended convenience of exceptional cleanliness

• Like 1

A public toilet, in the middle of nowhere, a mile from the nearest town, is closed and we're becoming a third world nation? Yeah, right. Ever used a rural toilet in, let's say, France? Yuk...if you can actually find one, which I doubt.

The toilets at Norwich Station are free.

• Like 1

Maybe a quid is a bit steep but I suppose it all boils down to getting value for money!

I spent many years living in East Yorks where there were 2 attendend toilets in the town that i new of, both clean and both 20p a visit. Very handy indeed.

I use disabled toilets, and use my own personal RADAR Key for access. I have used that key all over the UK and abroad. So I am lucky, in the respect I don't require to pay.

However, I WOULD gladly pay to see the facility reopened, OR being disabled am I suppose to go into Acle or Gt Yarmouth proper ? As for France, without a doubt PARIS has a brilliant plumbing system, with many space ship type public toilets, even in areas like Monmartre!

cheers Iain

This is all due to what i remarked on in another thread elsewhere on here. The councils need NOT make any swngeing cutbacks, just cut out all the beaurocratic waste, and stop all the "teambuilding" days, or weekends even.

What i find infuriating is the blatant way civil servants go on these jollies, purely so they don`t lose the SPARE money that us taxpayers have had to pay in our council taxes. Maybe there should be some sort of public accountability so councils CAN`T spend money on such flagrant wastage?.  As it stands at the monment, we have no say whatsoever on how our council taxes are spent, so we have to put up with morally corrupt council officals closing vital facilities.

Interesting what is in the reply. The little shop did offer to clean the toilets so they could stay open. The council said if they did that the shop would have to pay the council tax for them which the shop have said is a none starter. So much for discussion with local business. 

• Like 2

Interesting what is in the reply. The little shop did offer to clean the toilets so they could stay open. The council said if they did that the shop would have to pay the council tax for them which the shop have said is a none starter. So much for discussion with local business. 

Hmmm interesting. Would be interested in their reply.Thanks for that TrevorandDeirdre :)

cheers Iain. 

This is all due to what i remarked on in another thread elsewhere on here. The councils need NOT make any swngeing cutbacks, just cut out all the beaurocratic waste, and stop all the "teambuilding" days, or weekends even.

What i find infuriating is the blatant way civil servants go on these jollies, purely so they don`t lose the SPARE money that us taxpayers have had to pay in our council taxes. Maybe there should be some sort of public accountability so councils CAN`T spend money on such flagrant wastage?. As it stands at the monment, we have no say whatsoever on how our council taxes are spent, so we have to put up with morally corrupt council officals closing vital facilities.

I am not sure what decade you live in but it's not this one!

Those days are long gone.

I am not sure what decade you live in but it's not this one!

Those days are long gone.

Hi Matt,

It is sad that those days have gone, but you are correct; our local and central Politian's seem to brush away the thoughts of the people who they should represent.

We had all of the blurb through the door this morning, it all looks good on paper, but I didn't believe a word of it.

I guess I would get more satisfaction out of voting in the MM election rather than the General Election, on the bright side our local community gets a good room rent for being used as a polling station so it does have some merits.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I don't think that the closure of public toilets is as short sighted as the removal of refuse collections, but as you begin to erode public services in an area that actively attracts and is financially supported by tourism, you begin to attack the hand that feeds you. 

Once closed, without the support of private money from the businesses that Glenn Buck is talking about, these facilities will never reopen. As the local private businesses are already paying taxes and rates and in the case of Great Yarmouth, the Local Tourism Tax also, there will be few who are keen to stump up more money to keep services like this where there is very little perceived direct benefit. 

• Like 2

Yarmouth did charge some years back I am sure ? Interesting to know if that helped wtith costs .paid 30p at LiverpoolStreet. And 50p at the Eye ,no change given and no help offered to mums etc ,good image for London visitors of which there was very many?