Head above the helm!

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while and thought I would register and say hi officially - Ray is the name and an Essex Boy, which I hope won't be held against me... Much!

Have had an interest in the broads for many years since i took our first boating holiday with the wife and two daughters who were 7 and 9 at the time and came back for around 6 years in a row and we all loved it so much, last time was around 8 years ago, so a bit of a gap and being self employed, work and earning a crust overtook my needs for a holiday.

A few weeks back sitting in the garden at an impromptu BBQ, the girls being grown up, moved out and married with nippers of their own began chatting about our holidays on the broads and all the good times we had their, someone suggested we should go again just for old time sake!... And so.... Two boats were booked for an early September week, the Silverline Elegance from Silverline Marine Brundle which looks very nice indeed and the other from the same boatyard which I can't remember the name of!

I'm hoping very much this will rekindle my love of boating so I can get away for weekend hires and holidays again.

The odd thing is the daughter booked it ( I just gave a few options of the type of boat etc) I realised Brundle was south of the Broads, we had always cruised the North side, but having had a good look the North Broads seems quite pleasant and we're all looking forwards to a week of cruising after so many years.

Sorry for the long intro, but I'm hoping To get to the North Side as well to revisit old haunts as they say and no doubt will ask advice from the many sages that I know contribute these forums regarding possible journey times etc and hopefully contribute in some minor way!

Many thanks for reading

• Like 5

:wave Ray  :welcome: to the forum. 

Silverline are an amazing yard, I'm sure you noticed David (deebee)'s recent trip on this boat it's a very well appointed boat :) ... The trip up north is no problem. Let us know your dates and we can help plan the trip up through yarmouth! 

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Polly, yes you are so right, it was amazing how much the girls took to it, even the spaniel!

@jawsorca, thanks so much, it's just the bit round Breydon I'm a little bit unsure of, most of the broads t'up nth side I know very well and as I will have the other daughter following in another cruiser, dad has to look like he's done it all before ha ha!

• Like 2

hi Ray and  :welcome: from me

as Jaws has mentioned we have just returned from a week on Silver Elegance (thanks Alan  RB for linking to the post)

I can say that you won't be disappointed. 

Silverline are a great yard. Colin and Lesley are very friendly and welcoming......as are all the staff.

they are very proud of this boat and keen to point out all the features........just wait till you try those bow & stern thrusters :dance

they launched an identical boat, Silver Serenity while we were there.

we stayed south this time but you won't have any problems going North,( (just get your timings right) but you won't get through Wroxham bridge.

hope you have a great time

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the kind welcomes to the forum, much appreciated!

Probably a bit premature, but spent an hour looking at first day mooring places just to give the others a quick taste of what's to come, will start a new topic a bit later and look forwards to comments as to my choices of stop off points.

It's a way off yet but being my first holiday in 9yrs I'm so looking forwards to taking charge of such a lovely looking boat.

Ray

• Like 4

A very warm welcome aboard from me Ray, the South is just as beautiful as the North in my opinion, just a bit different, as for crossing Breydon, if you get the timing right it's a doddle, trust me if I can do it anyone can lol

Any questions you have just ask away, there are some very seasoned Broads Veterans on here with a wealth of knowledge (although some of em are not quite right in the head  :naughty: )

Grace  :kiss

• Like 1

Thanks Gracie, I'm sure I'll be fine getting across Breydon to be honest, it just a tad different but no doubt I will double check with you guys if I have got my timings right with the tides etc.

Thanks for the tip deebee29 it certainly looks a pleasant first night mooring to let them get acquainted with ready for an early morning start up north side.

The plan is to get back and have a night or two and discover the south side, I am to be honest into the quieter Side of a broads holiday and do a bit of fair weather fishing mud weighted and with a beer, it must be my age!.

Will try and find some pics and names of some of the boats we have hired over the years, most of which you guys will know, first boat I ever hired was from south walsham! Memories!

Ray

• Like 2

HI Ray,

This was always my route for a week from Brundall...

Brundall -> Reedham (or Loddon)

Reedham (or Loddon) -> Thurne (Or Potter or Womack).

Thurne -> Stalham (Sutton)

Stalham -> Wroxham (salhouse)

Wroxham -> Ranworth 

Ranworth -> Oulton Broad

Oulton -> Brundall

Home :(

• Like 2

Hi Ray,

Alternatively if you wanted to stay on the Southern Broads.

You could pick the boat up from Brundall and stop for the night at The Ferry Inn at Surlingham or Brammerton Common or at the Waters Edge Bramerton

You could go up to Norwich or turn around and head for Reedham or go up the Chet to Loddon for the evening.

It's a good cruise up to Beccles where you could spend the night in the Yacht Station.

If you go to Oulton Broad usually there is the power boat racing on Thursday evenings and the Yacht Station or moored outside of the Wherry Hotel are both good places to watch it.

Another good location to overnight ready for going back to the boatyard is Rockland St Mary. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

So many choices, all the options I have will only make the decision harder! And I just know it will be me that will have to be the official guide to the flotilla!

I will have to get the dates we are their so I can check low water etc to get through Breydon and make sure I can get back to Brundal to drop the boat off.

I noticed Silverline has a nice help page where you can print off tide tables and there are some alternatives dotted around the forum here.

Think it might be easier to sell the house and buy a boat!

Ray

• Like 3