GOING OFFLINE DUE TO COMPUTER PROBLEMS.

Hi all,

i may be absent from the forum for a while, due to a problem with our pc. It seems to work quick enough, but then slows down as soon as we connect to firefox, which started last week. It takes ages for anything to load up, and if i try to watch any you tube films, it plays them almost frame by frame, and when typing text into anything, it appears on screen several seconds later. I would say on a percentage bassis, instead of running at 100% (say normal) it`s probably running at max 5%. As i`m typing this, it`s going on screen about 3-4 seconds later. Anybody have any ideas?.

Hi John, i`ve just done that it comes up with "Ping"   33ms,   Downloading speed  34.9Mbps,  and Upload speed  0.67Mbps. 

Is that quick or slow, or average?.  I`m totally out of my depth when it comes to computers, so i might have to take it to a local computer engineer who sorted a problem once before.

Speedie...I'd run some anti-malware software first. MBAM works well. You can get it FOC from www.malwarebytes.org This will highlight any nasties kicking in including boot-up villainy.

Additionally, your browser could have been hijacked by resource-hungry adware. Check your Firefox setup for unwanted add-ons and remove them. :)

BTW, your broadband speeds are pretty good.

I am not a computer wizzer by any stretch of imagination. In fact I am a Luddite regarding these matters.

However. You might wish to check to see if your hard disk is getting full. Your operating system requires a minimum amount of space to operate, if your disk is full of pictures of sunsets and such you might like to consider a clear out. Dump it in a cloud somewhere.

Or,how about a good old defrag.

Computers are a bit like boats really. Regarding the latter if things go wrong always check the weed filter. With computers the disk. If that does not cure the problem, get a man in!

As we all know, or should, start up registry has a very bad habit of slowing things down. There are free progs to eradicate these things, but I personally use one I bought a few years back called System Mechanic. It certainly keeps my lappy up to speed.

I do hope you get it all sorted ASAP.

cheers Iain

Lol Neil.. if it restarts (although in all seriousness you will be surprised what a simple restart can do!) I agree with everyone else though.. it's probably spyware.. I've lost track of decent programs these days. (I think malwarebytes is still a good one). Also as Iain said check the start up for unrequired programs.. also check and disable any browser extensions in the settings (use Chrome too as it's better with extensions).  Make sure window and Java updates are all upto date.. Also it could be good old windows updates over time maxing out the Ram so it maybe time for upgrade.. or even possibly hardware given up... Good luck :)cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t know if you`re going to believe this, but, we got back from our week on Lightning yesterday, and i switched on the puter, only to find out it was as slow as before we went. I got so p...ed off with it, i just switched it of at the plug, without going through the proper shut down method. I switched it on today and was going to phone a local computer chap, only to find it`s now working fine. When i looged on to firefox, it came up with a display showing firefox installing some updates, and since then, it`s fine. God knows what went wrong, but it seems to have put itself right.

Computers baffle me completely.

• Like 2

one of the best bits of advice that has fixed more computer problems than you would think it should, was (with a laptop) turn off - unplug the charger, remove the battery - then push and hold the power button for 30 seconds (this discharges all capacitors that may be keeping some function running) then plug back in and turn on again. this properly clears the computers memory and means it has to boot up properly from scratch (rather than a previously remembered condition) and has fixed faults such as not being able to boot as it goes straight to the blue screen of death.

Another helpful command line is chkdsk /f (check the file integrity and fix them).

Grendel

Grendel,

Is there a comparable routine for desktop tower computers?

Kick it?! 

If you hold the power button in until it switches off it normally forces a check disk.. works for both laptops and desktops lol...

Grendal's tips are bang on though... as is Iains lol cheers

• Like 1

Maurice,

Probably not.  Only the user manual can tell you definitively though.

What problem are you trying to solve?  As Grendel said the command "chkdsk /f" will check and fix (some) errors on a any disk.  Assuming that you are checking the system disk this command will require a reboot and will then take a long time to complete.  If you are checking another disk (not the "C:" drive) then you will have to specify the drive letter and a colon (for example chkdsk D: /f).

On many systems you will see a brief message at the beginning of the boot sequence telling you to press a particular key to enter other "modes" to configure or test your system; but these are best avoided unless you are confident that you know what you are doing.

If anyone has problems with malware then Herdprotect is worth a try, it actually uses the top 68 malware programs to check for problems, why rely on one when you can have 68.

Thanks for that. I've just installed Herdprotect (it's free) and the first scan has detected and removed EIGHT malware programmes which MS security essentials had missed. Computer already running faster!

desktops can have another issue, when they lose power, if they are still plugged in when it comes back, they may not allow themselves to be turned back on, I remember a time after a power cut when we had to go right round the office and unplug every machine then plug it back in to get them to turn on. (we found this out after replacing the fuses in the plugs of the first 20 machines)

Grendel

Thanks for that. I've just installed Herdprotect (it's free) and the first scan has detected and removed EIGHT malware programmes which MS security essentials had missed. Computer already running faster!

Sorry I forgot to mention the important bit about it being free,  no one program seems to have a 100% clear-up rate but by using 68 different programs you have a much better chance of staying malware free.