Outboard thefts Ranworth

Wussername

Its happening all over at the moment, there appears to be a trend which started on the southern broads and working its way north. There is also the seasonal trend with people returning to boats after the winter and finding things "missing". Please, if anyone sees or hears anything unusual call it in, it is better to attend and find it is a call with good intent than to miss out on an opportunity to "collar" them....... 

Also if anyone does believe they have been the subject of a crime, I would urge them to report it, no matter how small. The ethos is that it may provide a pattern which can be acted on....

Sermon over......

Stuart

• Like 5

Stuart, I have not failed to notice that on other correspondence that you also officially refer to yourself as a Wildlife Crime Investigator amongst your many other talents.

Is this a typo? Should it not be a Lowlife Crime Investigator

• Like 5

We arrived at our boat late one night in April, pitch black it was, and while unloading my 1 bag and Debs 20 ;) we saw a set of headlights driving around the marina. It was a nice Policeman who came over for a quick chat and once it was confirmed it was our boat and all was ok he went on his way.

I actually commented to Deb that it was good to see this sort of thing happening. I don't know if anyone called them or it was a 'normal' patrol but none the less it was good to see things are being checked.

Looking back we must have looked right dodgy, jeans, hoodie type tops as it was a bit nippy and head torches on.

Deb was very rude, never offered the poor chap a cuppa, she is fully trained now ;)

cheers

You neglect the even more dodgyness there Steve.. Black van driver.. Not even a white van... we all know how dodgy black van drivers are... :huh:;)

Although I dread to think how dodgy we look in a battered astra estate me dressed like a chav and Dave sporting his mohawk and marylin manson tshirt .. as if anyone believes we own a boat! (Obviously they will soon understand when I start talking with my right ole queens English.. enit.. :dunce: ). 

Yes I am one of the Forces Wildlife crime investigators to..... Lots of hats and a man that can multitask - very rare breed. :bow

As for Ranworth yes it was six confirmed to date, similar to South Walsham thefts and others in the past. Very difficult to predict where next so keep an eye open please, any help appreciated as it would indicate a vehicle (s) is being used, I think too may for a water bourne approach.

Would it not be worthwhile to consider, discuss, the benefits, and of course the problems which would be associated with introducing a scheme such as Boat Watch.

We have Farm Watch, Horse Watch, and I suspect other similar schemes throughout the UK.

May I make it clear, from the outset, that I am not advocating a vigilante group that patrols mooring areas, but more of an organisation that encourages awareness and responsibility together with an ability to inform the members of local incidents which give concern.

In the first instance one would have to ascertain if there exists a need for such a scheme, and of course how many people would consider it worthwhile to join such a venture.

An approach to the police, I presume Broadbeat, (Stuart?) to ascertain if such a project would be of interest, if they would be prepared to offer support and indeed contribute with regard to their overall knowledge and experience in such matters.

There are many and varied options to take into consideration.

Distinctive laminated notices on boats to inform that the craft is part of Boat Watch. The Boat is alarmed and monitored. A central number to call in the event of suspicious activity.

An alarm system informing of a confirmed intruder to a central number (bearing in mind that the police do not operate an alarm monitoring service to the best of my knowledge). Such an alarm system would not only alert an attack on an individual boat but also a sequence of events in a specific area. The police could then be informed accordingly.

Perhaps such a system could be affiliated to a specific forum, perhaps NBN (if it did not detract from the forums prime purpose, and just as importantly, become legally or financially liable under any circumstances.)

A whole raft of matters to take into consideration, which at the end of the day may well identify insurmountable problems.

However, if I was a boat owner I would certainly take comfort that at least there was something in place to demonstrate to those that commit crime that they will be caught and held accountable.

The advantages are many. Perhaps reduced insurance premiums, a web site for members only, alerting boat owners of suspicious activity and targeted vulnerable areas. Last and not least, you will at least have done something to protect a much loved and valuable possession.

Worth discussing surely?

Old Wussername.

• Like 3

Of course sometimes the police just get lucky, the following is boatwatch message I just recieved from cambs. plod.

Afternoon all

Overnight 1st June theft of outboard engines from Twentypence Marina in Wilburton

1 Honda 15 horsepower serial 1007852

1 Yamaha FT9 serial 400569/S

1 Honda R type serial 1002788

If anyone in local area saw anything suspicious please get in touch

Last night in Bretton Peterborough – officers stopped a vehicle driving as rear number plate hanging off and ended up arresting four males on suspicious of having stolen property in the vehicle – a search of a property they were staying at recovered a lot of stolen property including possibly 10 outboard engines

Police are trying to identify the engines – if you have lost one and didn’t report it or lost one and did not know the serial number but there are marks that could help identify the engine please get in touch with me so I can try and help reunite these engines with rightful owners.  My guess is that they would only have been stolen in last 6-8 weeks

Thanks all

Carol

Carol Aston

Crime Prevention Officer

Covering Northern Sector Peterborough

Cambridgeshire Constabulary

DD Tel: 01733 42(4417)

M:  7110192/07736342333

Email: carol.aston@cambs.pnn.police.uk

Address: Community Intervention Team, Bayard Place 4th Floor,

Broadway, Peterborough PE1 1FZ – part of the Safer Peterborough Partnership

As for multitasking men Wildfuzz, I can do fat,drunk,bald,and stupid all at once! Beat that!

• Like 1

Wussername, there is similar in the pipeline in colaboration with Suffolk to cover the whole Broads "National Park" including BA and other agencies...... Watch this space.

Hoping your day job and a pair quotation marks will protect you eh? :)

The EDP today has reported that over 10 outboard engines have been stolen over the last few days.

The thefts in Brundall happened between Wednesday, May 27 and Sunday, May 31, when a number of boats at Bells Dyke Marina, Waterside, were targeted and seven outboard engines were stolen.

The thefts in Ranworth happened overnight on Monday, June 1 and Tuesday, June 2, when a number of boats moored at The Priory were entered and at least six outboard engines were taken

A serious situation.

Does anybody know if boats without outboards are at risk with regard to say navigation aids, depth finders and so forth or is it just boats with outboards that are being targeted.

Just got this email to follow up yesterdays, we need a system like this on the broads....

Afternoon all

Thank you for such a fantastic response after our recovery of stolen property – I have just spoken to the team collating all the items – early next week I should have more details and can then cross match with what you are telling me

If you make contact please let me have details of any engine and if you have a crime number I need that too

I believe the thefts I reported yesterday from the Wilberton area some items have now been recovered to the rightful owners which is brilliant news.  We are hopeful that more will be reunited in next week.

Thank you all and have a lovely safe weekend

Carol

Carol Aston

Crime Prevention Officer

Covering Northern Sector Peterborough

Cambridgeshire Constabulary

DD Tel: 01733 42(4417)

M:  7110192/07736342333

Email: carol.aston@cambs.pnn.police.uk

Address: Community Intervention Team, Bayard Place 4th Floor,

Broadway, Peterborough PE1 1FZ – part of the Safer Peterborough Partnership

Please note that my office hours are Tuesday to Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm