Come South!

JennyMorgan

I don't mean to be selfish but I do wish people would stop encouraging more visitors to the Southern Broads :)

If I want nose to tail boating I GO NORTH.

JUST REMEMBER that the Northern Broads is a much nicer place to visit everyone.  ;)

Edited by BroadScot
Winking inserted :-)
  • Like 2

Thank you for the links peeps but I don't need convincing how beautiful the South is, although you Southerners would very much like it if us pesky hirers stayed away it ain't happening lol. Oulton Broad stunning, Beccles stunning, Brundall stunning, Rockland Broad stunning and so on, you get my drift. You can tell us about the Dragons and river monsters and how hard it is to find a mooring, how the Southerners eat babies and last but not least how terrible the pubs are, there is nothing you can say that would make us stay away. Almost forgot to say about how, in the silly season when up North, you can't get a mooring near a pub for love nor money, the Pirates, Stag and Hen Parties and the damn people running their engines at silly o clock, it's so much calmer and quieter down South that you could find yourself moored up all alone with just the wild life for company, you can forgive yourself for thinking how wonderful it would be to see a pirate  :naughty:

So, nah, don't go South people, worst place on the planet

Grace

• Like 8

I think the South is so much better than the North, and the two largest hire boat companies should move their entire fleet to the Southern Broads, together with all the day boats, with a ban on going any further North than Great Yarmouth Yacht Station.

This would give a great opportunity to develop the upper reaches in Norwich.

Now as a sacrifice, I am still prepared to keep my boat on the Northern Broads, in order to reduce the increasing congestion on the Southern Broads.

I would hope there are many more like minded people who would make the same sacrifice.

lol...

• Like 1

Outrageous suggestions Viking23, I mean, what would you do with yourselves not being able to wait in line for a mooring at Ranworth, being able to moor anywhere, anytime of the day or night, the Pirates having water bomb fights etc, not forgetting the Hens in their pink sparkly hats and high heels :naughty: You'll soon go South in search of such delights :naughty: Now, are you still prepared to make such sacrifices? lol

Grace

• Like 2

Come on, the South is just nothing but long stretches of reeds and pesky bridges and locks that don't operate. The North is far better. Who would want to go South? If I could find a mooring on the North side I would move tomorrow. :liar :liar

Us as well mind we always hired in the past south not sure why mind, as always went north ...................

As there really is nothing to see or do on The South, I think the BA should introduce a 50% toll reduction for any boats based in The South and introduce a checkpoint at Yarmouth to charge a £25 visiting fee for any Northern based boat wanting to venture onto the rough waters of The South :swordpir:

• Like 3

With having a small boat, with outboard, the tidal range and tides of the Southern Broads, have to be considered, together with additional fuel required if going against the tide.

But we have all this in hand and every year we spend around 10 days on the Southern Broads, covering every square inch of the navagable waterways.

We know where we can get petrol, empty the loo, get water and where to moor, to reduce possible damage or snagging caused by the quayside. Equally well, we know where we can eat well.

The tidal range does cause us issues as we have to spend more time sorting out the fenders and spring lines, and sometimes when leaving places like St Olaves to catch the low tide at Yarmouth can leave the boat with quite a drop to the deck, and sometimes the roof has to come into play, but with these tasks, wearing an Automatic Life jacket is a real necessity.

Whilst on the subject of fenders, can someone please give me some advice ?

At St Olaves, and similar places, there are steel pilings for the quayside, the profile is rather deep, and our sausage type fenders fall into the recesses and make them useless, and what I want is two large round fenders one forward, one astern, that will keep the rubbing strake of the boat off the steel pilings, even if they drop into the recess, where they will probably spend most of their time and I was wondering what diameter I would need to keep the boat off the quayside, and then give enough clearance for the boat to rise without catching on the wooden capping at the top.

I was thinking of around 14" diameter.

The rubber rubbing strake sticks out around 2" from the vertical part of the hull.

Any advise please?

Looks awful, much better to stay north of yarmouth, besides the 30 knot tide on the yare puts most people off as does the 60 foot tidal range, and those somalian pirates realy do get annoying, it's the 5th time I've been kidnapped and held for ransom this year!

Stay north, much safer.

• Like 2

Oh Leo, you didn't mention that old fella in Oulton Broad, i've heard it said, he scares the living daylights out of hirers criss crossing in a "MORECOMBE" yachty type thingy, evil he is!!! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:  Goes by the initials of JM on here! :swordpir:

cheers Iain.

Perhaps we should have a southern broads section?!

Personally I think the tides down south are really really good.. couple of reasons. 1. They allow you to practice basic navigation. 2. When used correctly they save a lot of fuel!!! (which is good for everyone).

In terms of fenders. you are better grabbing a couple of A2 or A3 fenders.. a cheaper alternative is a fender board (http://www.practical-sailor.com/news/build_your_own_fender_boards-10681-1.html)

Personally I love the southern broads and have no plans moving north any time soon.. there's more space.. some amazing pubs lovely little villages, it really feels you are getting away from it but still feels like the broads.. I really don't understand why people don't come and experience it..

Here's one of my favourite videos so far..  It's far from reeds and reeds..

cheers

• Like 3

For nasty mooring edges I have 3 lengths of 65mm plastic water pipe that break down to fit into the engine bay, they hang off the handrails on the cabin roof and run down to 12" below water line so keeps everything off the piling or overhangs off the windows, also good for when the water levels come to or over the edge(as it does at berney/reedham/cantley from time to time) as it keeps the boat over the river, works very well. 

I don't use them on the northern rivers as they are soooo much safer and easier with such better edges to moor to than the southern rivers.

Viking 23

Whilst on the subject of fenders, can someone please give me some advice ?
At St Olaves, and similar places, there are steel pilings for the quayside, the profile is rather deep, and our sausage type fenders fall into the recesses and make them useless, and what I want is two large round fenders one forward, one astern, that will keep the rubbing strake of the boat off the steel pilings, even if they drop into the recess, where they will probably spend most of their time and I was wondering what diameter I would need to keep the boat off the quayside, and then give enough clearance for the boat to rise without catching on the wooden capping at the top.
I was thinking of around 14" diameter.

The rubber rubbing strake sticks out around 2" from the vertical part of the hull.

When on the Southern Broads we tend to use our two large ball fenders along with two of flat type which we tie to top rail of the boat.     We have even tide flat fenders to mooring posts and just let them hang down to help keep us away from the side.    Obviously these can be purchased in all manner of sizes and colours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyform-A-1-Round-Single-Eyelet-White-Boat-Fender-Buoy-37-x-29cm-/261562177870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce652194e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Flat-Fenders-Boat-Yacht-Sailing-U049-/111641447226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item19fe594b3a

Thanks for all the suggestions, re fenders, I feel as though I have partly high jacked the thread but I'm sure fendering of one's pride and joy, must affect some private craft's decision about venturing South, hopefully this will help many others.

I had heard of fendering boards, and having looked on the internet, it will provide a great and very cheap option for certain applications.

I'm now more confident about the thought of mooring up, without having to constantly check and adjust the fenders, which, even during the night, I do check them with a torch. I wake up several times during the night... the benefit of being a man and getting older lol,

Again many thanks.

• Like 3

I use the A2s but also set my sausage fenders at different heights. Although depending on your freeboard this might not work for you.

Fender boards I have only used once and wondered if they would work on the pilings.

The drain pipe idea sounds interesting

Just to say we are at Beccles so have really lowered the tone of the neighbourhood.

Plenty of fights, stabings, shootings you name it happening.

Boats being rammed, raping and piloging as well. And that's just us!!!!

And now it's raining which it never does up North.

I would stay well clear!!!

When a tide is running, and you are moored up, try moving the steering wheel until you find that the tide pushing past the rudder actually pushes the boat away from the shore, a technique called 'sheering off'. Remember to tie the wheel in the desired position otherwise it might alter its position.

Fender boards, dead handy and useful as gangplanks or fulcrums. 

• Like 1