Come South!

JennyMorgan

Well Andy that have given the chances of good weather the kiss of death.

I do hope you get a good season and all of the yards on the Broads.

Regards

Alan

Nobut..... Yerbut...

I recon the fact that WE are coming down the first week of September means that the weather will be FANTASTIC!! (obvs Andy knows this  :naughty: ...)

The number of quarter million pound plus gin palaces tied up or for sale at a place nearby where we moor is staggering!   :roll: :roll: :roll:

Looks like austerity is kicking in big time John. Not good at all. :norty:

cheers Iain.

It's a buyer's market out there. Probably not because folk can't afford to buy their boats but when it comes to filling the fuel tanks, paying the insurance, yard fees, tolls and moorings divided by how many times a year the owners use their boats then it soon becomes apparent why so many boats are for sale. Big part of the problem, in my opinion, is the sheer greed of the service industry surrounding the boating industry. 

• Like 2

It's a buyer's market out there. Probably not because folk can't afford to buy their boats but when it comes to filling the fuel tanks, paying the insurance, yard fees, tolls and moorings divided by how many times a year the owners use their boats then it soon becomes apparent why so many boats are for sale. Big part of the problem, in my opinion, is the sheer greed of the service industry surrounding the boating industry. 

Hi Peter,

You are quite correct with your thoughts regarding some in the service industries. Some of the marinas are also in same boat, allowing some contractors on site but at a premimum so the poor guy in the boat gets hit with a double wammy.

Regards

Alan

Peter, Not me, mines an Alpha 35ft centre cockpit. I finished my wok and left about 4pm to head back downriver. Only three boats on The Berney Arms mooring last night. See some work is being done to re-instate turn tide jetty, but it seems to be taking an age.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely day yesterday so my wife and I decided to take all your advice and go South, to the Waveney River Centre for a pint and a meal. We pootled up river in our dory at next to no speed, it was that sort of evening. Apart from a couple of Clive's finest we had the river to ourselves.

Waveney%20002.jpg

• Like 11

That`s exactly why we bought into a syndicate boat. We nearly bought a Hampton 25 3 years ago, and were pipped to the post. Then when i`d calmed down and thought it out, i reasoned it was NOT finacially viable to own a boat, which would probbably cost us at the bare minimum, £3,500 per annum to keep,  only to use it for 3 weeks a year. Odd weekends away are not really an option, due to how far we live away, so it worked out we`d be paying well over £1,200 for each weeks holiday.  Now we have a share in Lightning, our share of the annual maintainance is around £1,000 +or -, and we get up to 4 weeks. As they say in the Dacia adverts on the tele, "you do the maths?" We have a 43ft luxury 6 berth cruiser for around £250 per week.  It aint rocket science, and no matter how many people say "ah, but there`s nothing like owning your OWN boat, well, we do, but along with several others who also look after it, and it`s a cheap holiday on the broads.

Syndicate ownership works for us, and in these times of austerity, it could work for a lot of others too.

• Like 6

The so called Gin palaces are being hit hard by the Broads Authorities inability to manage the navigation.

I don't class my boat as a GP, I guess some would but to us it is a family boat that gives us most of the comforts of home within the beauty of the Broads and also the ability to adventure at sea.

Unfortunately through a few years of Network Rail bridge failures that the BA decided not to fight as they were too busy taking houseboat owners to court or trying to be a national park and the failure of of Mutford lock for a good part of last year, the start of this and fairly likely the end of this, meaning it is very difficult to  get to sea.

You have to ask the question. Why would anyone keep a sea going boat on the Broads? why would they pay £500 plus in tolls just to line Packmans Pocket? Why would they support the local economy when they can not go anywhere.

Mr Packman and Co. are draining the life out of boating, they are clever enough to start where they get the least resistance but make no bones about it, unless it is made of wood and preferably has no motor, they will be coming for you. Once the boats are gone Sandford can be welcomed into the Broads National park. The Empire will be complete. 

In the Meantime enjoy it while you can, the south is gorgeous, true it is better suited to high boats that can see over the reeds that line many of the banks but well worth a visit even in the lower stuff, true you will have to go further inbetween the picturesque bits but they are definitely worth it. The north is so Chocolate box I am surprised Cadbury's didn't try and acquire them when they were a British Manufacturer, before they decided to rebrand as the USA.

• Like 5

Unfortunately through a few years of Network Rail bridge failures that the BA decided not to fight as they were too busy taking houseboat owners to court or trying to be a national park and the failure of of Mutford lock for a good part of last year, the start of this and fairly likely the end of this, meaning it is very difficult to  get to sea.

You have to ask the question. Why would anyone keep a sea going boat on the Broads? why would they pay £500 plus in tolls just to line Packmans Pocket? Why would they support the local economy when they can not go anywhere.

That's exactly why we used to keep our sea-going boats at the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk YC at Lowestoft. We then took out a week/fortnights short stay toll when we wanted to visit the Broads... and that was expensive enough!

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

"Syndicate ownership works for us, and in these times of austerity, it could work for a lot of others too."

It certainly works for us and has done so since 2001.

Unless you have very deep pockets, loads of time off or retired with a exceedingly good pension then boat share/syndicate ownership IMHO is the way forward.

What surprises me is that none of the larger hire companies have gone down this route in some way or other.

In the right hands there are profits to made in the build and sale of the boat, management of the boat, maintenance and cleaning contracts.

I know if I was younger, lived in Norfolk, I would be making a fortune doing a job that I could enjoy.

There is nothing better than messing about in boats.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Senator, Packman is no fool, he needs boats, he needs tolls. His national parks grant has been slashed so he's relying on his 40% plus cut of the tolls to support his empire ambitions. I have no doubts that he'll push big boats to the limit, the limit being the point where boats start to leave the Broads, a dangerous tactic in my opinion. At the moment, so I'm told, the BA is considering using cubic capacity to decide a boat's toll, obviously aimed at milking the Brundall Navy! 

Hi Neil,

"Syndicate ownership works for us, and in these times of austerity, it could work for a lot of others too."

It certainly works for us and has done so since 2001.

Unless you have very deep pockets, loads of time off or retired with a exceedingly good pension then boat share/syndicate ownership IMHO is the way forward.

What surprises me is that none of the larger hire companies have gone down this route in some way or other.

In the right hands there are profits to made in the build and sale of the boat, management of the boat, maintenance and cleaning contracts.

I know if I was younger, lived in Norfolk, I would be making a fortune doing a job that I could enjoy.

There is nothing better than messing about in boats.

Regards

Alan

I think there have been a few goes at this, If I remember correctly a company called Challenger were responsible for a lot of Birchwoods 330 and 360 production boats with their syndicate model that was used in Norfolk and Suffolk. Not sure of the reason for failure, it is not necessarily a bad idea just because it goes bust.

• Like 1

Senator, Packman is no fool, he needs boats, he needs tolls. His national parks grant has been slashed so he's relying on his 40% plus cut of the tolls to support his empire ambitions. I have no doubts that he'll push big boats to the limit, the limit being the point where boats start to leave the Broads, a dangerous tactic in my opinion. At the moment, so I'm told, the BA is considering using cubic capacity to decide a boat's toll, obviously aimed at milking the Brundall Navy! 

I know to a number of boats that are already exiting the Broads and choosing the other side Peter, so he is seriously exploring the point of no return already.

The problem for Norfolk is that it can not offer enough cruising for owners from outside of the area without the Broads. Being realistic about fuel costs and usage, if you are running a boat that is returning around 1 mpg at sea and are not one of the mega rich society, who all base their boats on the South Coast anyway, the only real destination reachable in sensible economic range for a weekend is Southwold. Lovely as it is I think a years boating made up of visiting Scroby sands and Southwold is going to get a bit samey for anyone.

Packman will not only be starving the Broads but also the local area of the income surrounding what he sees as a cash cow.

If only the local MP's could see what he was doing they may start to challenge his empire.

Local MPs have been made aware of the Authority's shortcomings but, unfortunately, on a national basis, it is a very minor issue. Re cruising grounds, in my motor boat days Holland was only a 100 miles away, I don't think that it has moved much since then!  Re the Broads, big boats are far too limited in my opinion, no fault of the Authority though. The Brundall Trundle has its drawbacks but where else?  

I think there have been a few goes at this, If I remember correctly a company called Challenger were responsible for a lot of Birchwoods 330 and 360 production boats with their syndicate model that was used in Norfolk and Suffolk. Not sure of the reason for failure, it is not necessarily a bad idea just because it goes bust.

Hi Ian,

The Challenger Syndicate that had some boats on the Broads (Lightning, Thunder, Moonlight Shadow, Silver Cloud, Evening Shadow, Goosander, maybe even Blue Mist?) but mostly on the canals.

The problems with this very large sydicate started around 2006 and ended in 2007 with the owner of the said syndicate spending a prison sentence for fraud.

Ranworth Breeze & Souther Crusader were managed by Ranworth Marine but their early advertising did mention Challenger.

Regards

Alan

Local MPs have been made aware of the Authority's shortcomings but, unfortunately, on a national basis, it is a very minor issue. Re cruising grounds, in my motor boat days Holland was only a 100 miles away, I don't think that it has moved much since then!  Re the Broads, big boats are far too limited in my opinion, no fault of the Authority though. The Brundall Trundle has its drawbacks but where else?  

Holland at 100 miles, (112 n/m from ijmuiden 4 weeks ago) would be 224 there and back, at 1 mpg that is 224 gallons, even at £1 per litre that would be £1020, bit much for most on a weekend.

The alternative is to move where there are more ports of call in a local area. Brightlingsea for instance has a whole plethora of places to visit within 20 miles. The Harwich area has lots of places to go in economic distance and if you do go to the South coast 10 miles would probably be as far as you went on any weekend.

The Broads are unique and provide a great way to use your boat without the uncertainties of coastal work. Big boats on the Southern Broads have fairly good access throughout if the bits that are supposed to work do, it is when the bridges and locks break that the problems start.

In the grand scheme of things the toll cost on the Broads is fairly small as a percentage of annual spend for a larger boat, it is the arrogance of certain parties that seem to think they can continue to offer a steadily decreasing level of service while exponentially increasing the charge for it that is the problem. Boating is a hobby and as such most will shrug their shoulders for so long. Once the exodus does start it will be too late to stop it.

• Like 1

Re syndicates, not altogether a happy history on the Broads. One was a money laundering affair run from a jail in Yorkshire, another was a get rich quickly scheme that turned sour and another was a grand deceit in order to get an individual out of debt.