Come South!

JennyMorgan

We are currently collecting gutter down pipe from the houses in Beccles.

30p a meter, buyer collects.

When I heard about this business venture, I thought it was just a "pipe dream" ...

I just hope the business doesn't go down the drain... lol

Who needs Gracies jokes ?

lol

• Like 2

I have another joke, but it might be considered risky...

It is about down pipes... so if the mods are prepared to delete it if unsuitable then I will post... following your approval...

Mods.. let me know if you are willing to delete it, if it doesn't conform to the high standard of this forum...

• Like 1

From my admittedly limited experiences,the broads are the broads. I enjoy them all,north or south.just being on the water is what matters. I can chill and relax without worrying where i am.

Agreed indeed Watershed, this thread is just friendly banter  :naughty: Its that new boat on the block...ORCA wants the southern rivers all to himself. Eh young Alan?  :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 3

I know this has probably been aired a dozen times already, but thinking aloud... "If" and only "if" of course... they built a Yare barrier, to control the river levels then there wouldn't be the navigational issues around Yarmouth.

However... this would have a devastating affect on the bird wildlife that relies on the mudflats on Breydon and surrounding area at low tide, and this alone would probably stop any investigation into it.

But imagine, reduced risk of upper Thurne flooding, greater chance for more craft to pass under Potter Heigham bridge, no boats running aground and being stranded for weeks, moorings with low tidal change, and reduced tidal flows.

The BA would be happy, as they won't need to worry about shallow water at low tide, so less costs in dredging...

Less risk of salt water surging up the rivers etc...

The barrier might only be raised on high spring tides or storm surges, or in times of drought, to conserve water.

I know this has probably been aired a dozen times already, but thinking aloud... "If" and only "if" of course... they built a Yare barrier, to control the river levels then there wouldn't be the navigational issues around Yarmouth.

However... this would have a devastating affect on the bird wildlife that relies on the mudflats on Breydon and surrounding area at low tide, and this alone would probably stop any investigation into it.

But imagine, reduced risk of upper Thurne flooding, greater chance for more craft to pass under Potter Heigham bridge, no boats running aground and being stranded for weeks, moorings with low tidal change, and reduced tidal flows.

The BA would be happy, as they won't need to worry about shallow water at low tide, so less costs in dredging...

Less risk of salt water surging up the rivers etc... Cross Breydon at any time...

The barrier might only be raised on high spring tides or storm surges, or in times of drought, to conserve water.

Almost forgot to say about how, in the silly season when up North, you can't get a mooring near a pub for love nor money, the Pirates, Stag and Hen Parties and the damn people running their engines at silly o clock, it's so much calmer and quieter down South that you could find yourself moored up all alone with just the wild life for company

Grace, try visiting Riverside at Norwich Yacht Station on a Thurs, Fri or Sat night (or the early hours of the following morning.... you won't be disappointed!   :wasted: :wasted:

• Like 1

Whilst on the subject of fenders, can someone please give me some advice ?

At St Olaves, and similar places, there are steel pilings for the quayside, the profile is rather deep, and our sausage type fenders fall into the recesses and make them useless, and what I want is two large round fenders one forward, one astern, that will keep the rubbing strake of the boat off the steel pilings, even if they drop into the recess, where they will probably spend most of their time and I was wondering what diameter I would need to keep the boat off the quayside, and then give enough clearance for the boat to rise without catching on the wooden capping at the top.

I was thinking of around 14" diameter.

The rubber rubbing strake sticks out around 2" from the vertical part of the hull.

Any advise please?

Much easier to just make a fender board, we had one onboard our last boat and used it frequently.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news/build_your_own_fender_boards-10681-1.html

Has anyone mentioned Hardley Mill for a visit.   You can moor there overnight for a fiver.  Lots of walks , so you can take Fido for a stroll in peace and tranquility.   If the Mill is open , another bonus.   Pontoon moorings so need for all of the darn fenders.

http://www.hardley-windmill.org.uk/

Unfortunately (hic) there's nowhere for Howard and me to visit!  cheersbar

• Like 2

I am sure as fellow partakers of liquid nectar (whatever your tipple) you can bring your own for that evening at Hardley Mill ?   No? 

We have an Ice Cream seller on his boat,   how about a floating bar?     Again may be no!!

• Like 1