Fuzz

RayandCarole

Just my observation on boats. but why could the BAs Spirit of the Broads, not have been of a similar if not the same as the Police one?

I would have thought it would have been cheaper. Glad to be told otherwise.

cheers Iain.

It's not RCD approved Iain.. http://www.orkney-boats.com/boats/pilot-house/pilot20.html(or it maybe inland use only)..

So perhaps for some strange reason the BA wanted a offshore capable cruiser (For H&S purposes maybe?).. ( But still not sure why they couldn't have gone for the slightly larger Pilot 25 which was offshore certified and probably less that what that SOB cost.. Perhaps everyone enjoys a game of golf together too!) 

Nope.. But BA took over responsibility of Breydon for Gt yarmouth harbour authority and then suddenly needed a boat able to cope with 5 feet waves.. (I've never seen 5 feet waves at breydon..)...

£115k boat later.... Lots of people enjoy golf together... 

I see :nosey:  so its a Driving range on water, that skims golf balls over imaginary five foot waves!  Very ingenious, why did I not think of that when I played Golf! I could have had a boat like that for PROPER five foot waves on the Firth of Clyde! :naughty:  Fore!!!!

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

I can't imagine what women in the 1930's did on the Broads that was so outrageous, when we went on our Hen Boat we were absolute  :angel: The very nice Broads Beat Officers, in their very nice uniforms were very friendly, even when we got told off for going a tad too fast (before any comments, I wasn't helming at the time lol) they were extremely nice, might have had something to do with the kisses that were blown their way as they departed  :naughty:

Grace

• Like 1

Just my observation on boats. but why could the BAs Spirit of the Broads, not have been of a similar if not the same as the Police one?

Hmmm, I've heard about when they tested that police launch on Wroxham Broad; the engine they've got on the back is a wee bit too powerful, so if they really try to open her up the stern sits way down in the water, an enormous wake is created, and there's precious little forward motion to show for it.

quote - "Broads Beat inspector Teresa Eagleton said: “We want stag and hen parties to have a really good time, put money into the local economy and come back."

I know I can be a somewhat pedantic old boat sometimes but surely for a stag party to come back there would have to be a cancellation or posponement of the wedding?

No wonder its all closing down if this is who we are relying on as repeat business....  :naughty:

Hmmm, I've heard about when they tested that police launch on Wroxham Broad; the engine they've got on the back is a wee bit too powerful, so if they really try to open her up the stern sits way down in the water, an enormous wake is created, and there's precious little forward motion to show for it.

She is a big lump of an engine, but if its digging in a bit much then i should think a change of trim would help, I did a little work on her but cant remember if it had trim tabs, even tweeking the engine angle could be of benefit.

I can't imagine what women in the 1930's did on the Broads that was so outrageous, when we went on our Hen Boat we were absolute  :angel: The very nice Broads Beat Officers, in their very nice uniforms were very friendly, even when we got told off for going a tad too fast (before any comments, I wasn't helming at the time lol) they were extremely nice, might have had something to do with the kisses that were blown their way as they departed  :naughty:

Grace

1895 East Suff Gaz 3 Sep
COUNCIL: 3.) BATHING in the RIVER. Alderman Masters said they now had a bathing place in
excellent condition, with ample compartments free to everyone, and pleasant dressing boxes for use
at a penny; but there were still very great complaints about persons bathing in the open river. They
complained of gross indecency. Could bathing in the river be prevented after 9 o’clock in the
morning? The Town Clerk was asked to make enquiries
East Suff Gaz 21 Jul
BATHING in the RIVER: Is it not time that the grossly indecent bathing in the river should be
peremptorily stopped? Such scandalous scenes as are daily seen at the Old Bathing Place make one
blush for the fair fame of the town. It is impossible to take one’s family on the river without exposing
them to indignities.

Moaning it seems is a time honoured passtime. the above extracts courtesy of http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/norgate/Beccles%20Lido/David_Lindley_History.pdf
refer to the very loose moraled folk of Beccles bathing in the river.
  • Like 1

I think that "Fuzz" is old 1960 jargon.

"Plod" reminds one of Dixon of Dock Green.

I think that "Squelsh" would be more appropriate for our river police taking into consideration the environment that they work in.

Oh! And a jolly good job they do as well.

• Like 2

JM, I've gone right off you :taunt:

Sorry, Andy, I quite forgot the good guys like you and Steve. I should have written 'some Rangers', apologies.

Joking aside, on the few occasions that I have met the Broads Beat team afloat I have been seriously impressed by their public spiritedness. Last year I was fishing on the Thurne, dusk was coming on and the Fuzz were advising folk in regards to where to moor before dark. That struck me as being excellent public relations. Suspect that that is not in their remit but it was done with enthusiasm and friendliness, all credit to the Fuzz.

• Like 2