Speeding

JawsOrca

Perhaps it would be better to ignore the speed limits but when a hirer takes over they are taken to some calm waters and shown the wash that is acceptable. Then they would just need to look behind rather than trying to compute the speed depending on how fast the river is flowing.

Seem to remember some time ago when the aux/volunteer rangers were being touted that a large number of people were quick to ask what qualifications they had to question the experienced skipper of a private boat.

Looks like there are lots of newly qualified Nav Rangers about now but I would seriously question there ability to tell me as a skipper what to do with my vessel.

Maybe a great opportunity to re form the home guard?  :grin:

• Like 1

Loud hailers... no shouldn't be brought to the Broads.

Their use could only escalate.

I'm surprised at who posted this.

Poacher turned gamekeeper, or should I say hirer turned owner. lol

Nearly as antisocial as Chinese lanterns and fly tipping.

Sometimes I wish I could launch torpedoes, nothing in the bylaws about that. YET!

• Like 2

I will now probably stir up a hornets nest by saying that private boats are just as likely to speed as hirers and it also seems particularly bad on the Ant with private boats probably because it is more noticeable being narrow.  I do find that mooring at How Hill, Instead and Sutton Staithe it is usually necessary to put extra mooring ropes on to prevent being moved around too much.

However having said that, we did find that in April this year pretty much everybody was very considerate but during our week in June it was totally different matter.

Now I will confess that if I am passing behind a tacking yacht I will open the throttle up in order to get well clear of their next tack.

I'm definitely not in favour of loud-hailers, I can imagine one being used on me when I'm pootling up The Ant at tick-over holding everybody up and all wondering why a hire boat is going so slow.

One thing that has been obvious to me for some time is that tick-over speed varies a lot from boat to boat, in fact with one boat that we regularly hire tick-over is about 4mph and others it can be less than 2mph.  I use a GPS app on my phone and invariably find that the marked revs for 4mph are usually high. As somebody else has said hull profile has a lot to do with wash, the worst offenders seem to be some bath-tubs.  I did notice in April that Royall's had a sticker near the rev counter with "Economical Speed XXXXrpm" but I thought that the speed this gave was too high for a river like the Ant.

Something else, hirers just do not realise how much fuel is used when running at high revs and then they complain that they have got little of their fuel deposit back or even had to pay more.

The Broads are for taking it slow and easy rather than using the rivers like a motorway (excluding the M25 of course).

I was overtaken by someone traveling at speeds well in excess of the limit, they also used the no-overtaking strip in the centre of the road (oh! didn't I mention it was on the road.

Signs, camera's, rangers, you will still get people speeding on the rivers as you still get people speeding on the road, some people have no thought for anyone but themselves and these people will also hire/own boats.  

Could you kindly all slow down please!!! :bow   I am trying watch the Test Match and read all your posts at the same time! :naughty:

cheers Iain

Agreed this thread is going far too fast for me     S    L     O    W     D   O   W   N.

How about if all private craft are issued with speed limit paddle boards, 3, 4, 5, and 6 mph ?

I have thought about printing some off lol...

Oh and a blue bucket that you can place upside down in the middle of your roof.

We need more speed patrols, but are we prepared to pay for them?

post-660-0-24130300-1437075175_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's different in my eyes. That's what I told the officer and then the judge but they said 160 was too much by anyone's eyes and put my lies in jail. 

I drive faster than most on the roads and most would think I was a little unhinged but unlike most I do under 30 in the village and know to quit an overtaking lane...

It is both private and hire and maybe the roads are to blame but the real reason they go fast is the same as the road. Stress has been added. On the roads are the millions of cameras, the forest of signs, the miles of paint and the clock on the dash. On the water the tide, the numbers of people, playing some kind of game of musical chairs, they only play the music at dusk and dawn.

If you don't want a wash then get a yacht, but if you don't want to stink then get a stinky bathtub.

How about if all private craft are issued with speed limit paddle boards, 3, 4, 5, and 6 mph ?

I have thought about printing some off lol...

Oh and a blue bucket that you can place upside down in the middle of your roof.

We need more speed patrols, but are we prepared to pay for them?

Will the complete kit include the natty, floppy hat?

I am still worried i got flashed in Edinburgh on Tuesday, There was an BMW M3 ahead of me in a bit of a hurry so Im hoping it was taking his picture not mine.

Loud hailer, Robin i am sorry to say that I really dont believe this is one of your better ideas. I think there are more reasons not to use it but its entirley up to you. I personally prefer to let the powers that be deal with things rather than trying to enforce the rules myself, friendly advice on a mooring will most likely be taken notice of but blarring at someone through a loud hailer, I wouldnt be to happy about it really!

• Like 4

I can just imagine the stag parties discovering loud halers now. Then it will be all hours of the night and morning. No thanks, loud halers, megaphones, or whatever they may be  BAN THEM FROM THE BROADS, except for the BA rangers that is.

As for those Go pro camera things, again, i`d ban the things because i think they a serious infringement of someones privacy, even if they ARE over the speed limit.

Jesus Christ, i hate Big brother on the tele, so please please please, let`s NOT have it on the Broads, or my share in Lightning will be up for sale quicker than you can say "i`d like to report a speeding boat".

• Like 3