Been back a week

Wonderwall

Had my 10 ten days afloat -+ 2 extra purchased from the ever efficient herbert woods. The depression of it all being over is beginning to fade and I'm now brave enough to post my holiday experiences without feeling suicidal!!,

I had a (we all had) a great time. I even got under the gap at PH. I have many tales to tell , but will start with the great storm on the 3 rd of July while we were wild mooring between beccles and burgh castle.

It was a topper. I was woken at 3 am with what sounded like bombers attacking my boat. The sky was lighting up with lumens unrecordable. It was truly both amazing and nervy. I just checked the teenage kids were ok with it all and I realised we were facing a different way than when I retired. Not good!!! It turns out it was only my line on mud weight which had worked free but I had to watch the storm pass over towards norwich then I went out and made secure.

It was a fantastic and scary night .

I love the broads I will add to this thread whenever I am pining!!

• Like 9

Well, let's start with our wee trip up to geldeston and the two pubs up that way.

Let's just say there are a few characters up that way!!

Moored at the little footbridge and there was a "shapely lady" sunbathing half way up the steps!! Very bizarre, my lad didn't know where to look!, she then stirred after about an hour and swam up and down past our boat, I didn't know where to look!!!

Then cruised on to next pub where we were greeted with a non anorexic with very brief " rainbow" briefs working on his boat, two halve moons in view. Nobody knew where to look!!

All very harmless, but out there so to speak!!

Had already spent a morning at beccles lido in the sun, acquainting myself with a springboard for the first time in a long time. A stroll around Beccles with a pint and couple of games of pool. What an idyllic town it really is.

But let's not tell everyone if you know what I mean.

( apologies if anyone feels mentioned in this post!!!, life's all about different folks!!)

Much more to come if anyone interested.!!!!

cheers

Neil

• Like 5

The second Saturday we spent around wroxham horning area.

Well, it was an eye opener!! The sun was out and so was every day boat in the UK, full of lads and lassies shouting screaming and hollering. How some of the carry outs didn't sink the boats I have no idea. Although most sailors appeared to spend more time in the river!, the river appeared more like the Dover crossing, I honestly didn't realise their were so many day boats available for hire.

Admittedly some were over excited , the language was at times colourful and it is very non broads behaviour and needs to be watched. But by and large it was very good humoured and at least the good people appeared happy and joyful. Unlike some of the privateers I encountered over my holiday who seemed somewhat stressed out that holidaymakers dared to come within 10 boat lengths to them.

I emphasise some, as some were of course very pleasant , chatty and helpful.

On that point may I add that as always the welcome from the good people of Norfolk was as bright as ever. They genuinely seemed pleased to see you. From publicans, shopkeepers , taxi drivers throughout the holiday it was very uplifting.

Take a bow.

• Like 6

Pictures will follow once I work out how to transfer from phone/ ipad to here!!,

I encountered another " character" up at Stalham. We were moored at the top near the musuem. I just about had a enough room to spin around and leave when small cruiser parked behind me just as I was untying , making life very tricky for me. The gentleman??? Appeared out of his boat with long grey beard with the last 4 months of dinner entangled in his whiskers. I'm sure some folk on here will have encountered him at some point. His boat was let's say " steptoe on water!"

He then watched intently as I tried to manoeuvre my boat in the direction of the Ant. As he passed a comment which I couldn't understand I remarked he hadn't helped matters by jamming me in, his retort was " I can handle my boat can you handle yours?" I had to laugh at his cheek really and replied it was a pity he couldn't wash the thing!, I somehow got turned without hitting his boat ( I feared a bump might have been the end for his flea ridden craft!)

I gave him an exaggerated wave as I set off and the old devil gave a cheeky grin. I'm sure I encountered a famous broad personality here? And he makes me smile everytime I think of it!

I then chugged along to Neatishead in the glorious sun , had a bit fishing , my daughter lay in the dinghy reading then me and the lad went for a game of darts and I had my best pint ( something summer !?) of the holiday. Got chatting to a couple who moved a bit to allow us to play without spearing them , and yet another Anglo friendship was made, even if very brief.

My lad won at darts. We then cruised down to ranworth to watch andy Murray lose his semi final and we had our only poor eating experience in the pub.

Let's not dwell on negatives and put it down to just a bad day for the pub, but when my wife enquired if a certain dish had mushrooms in it and the reply came back that the chef didn't know, we really should have settled for beans on toast afloat!!!

Walked to the tower the following day but no access and it was surrounded with scaffold, got some duck eggs from a small honesty stall on the way. Very tasty!

• Like 5

The fishing was okay. I caught plenty of littleuns and junior Wonderwall caught a big bream about 4 pound at oulton dyke. He also caught more than me over the holiday which cheered him up no end.

I don't know if it was the heat or the recent fish deaths up potter way but I felt there was a lack of action on the fishing in comparisons to previous years or maybe I'm just rubbish and getting found out!!!,

Took the pleasurly cruise up the Chet to loddon where myself and junior played a couple of locals at pool. Scotland 2 England 1 , we returned british champions which was nice. :-)

Then off to reedham for a beer and game of pool, getting chucked about a bit with the river passing through the bridge. Managed to moor up though then headed down just before berney arms and a family game of frisbee in the cow field before they all took my cash at cards as we planned our return in morning over " the waters"

Seen a seal on breydon but truth told it's not a very Bonnie place. It's the one place I like full throttle and get through as quick as possible. Passed through Yarmouth bridge with roof still up and it was a bit tighter than I thought!! Probably had a foot ( nearly!) but for a small second I thought wait a minute!!

Up past yarmouth , moored at stracey , taxi into yarmouth for a day at pleasure beach and dog racing.

Details to follow if you've not all fallen asleep!!!!

• Like 6

Another thing we noticed was the lack of ducks on the southern broads. Not sure if we were just unlucky, it was a duck holiday or the otters or geese are taking their toll.

Plenty at wroxham / horning but has anyone else noticed this?

My faviroute pub was the shed. Went back twice and really liked the feel of the place. Wroxham itself is really a place not to missed. Just has a buzz about it.

Also love the sign on the lawn of a waterside home" please do throw stones at this sign". My sense of humour and hopefully a dig at the endless needless signs outside some properties. Always makes us laugh :-)

Spent a night in salhouse. My mums ashes are there so always go and drop some flowers in and say hello. Well this year they were no sooner in the water when a gaggle of geese came along and eat them !!! Stems , buds the lot!!

She would have laughed!!

The big music boat came round and done the twist in the broad to music. By this time I was in party mood and danced on my deck as the boat sailed by!! Much to the amusement of the partygoers but not my daughter !!

Apparently dad dancing on boat half canned isn't cool. Strange girl!!!!

I love Salhouse and hope my mums happy there. Well I know she is, she loved it too.

She was the best xxxxx

• Like 7

It made me giggle at the thought of you dancing on the deck, that's not a picture of you in the Wee Willie Winkie thread is it? lol. My dad used to do that sort of thing all the time so please tell your daughter I am living proof that although scarred for life she will get over it  :naughty:

You also brought a tear to my eye about your mum, a smashing post :clap

Grace

• Like 4

Enjoying your tale. Keep going. :)

My hubby found there was not much biting first week of the fishing season on the southern rivers. And the locals he spoke to weren't faring any better other than commenting about how many eels had returned to the waters.

Loved your description of the party boat coming to Salhouse - we're always glad once they've gone and peace is returned.

Mooring up at stracey arms I got a beaut of a splinter in my nail bed all the way down to the cuticle Ouch was not a word I said at the time. After a butcher attempt to get it out and a vist to a pharmacy and health centre it was off to a&e to get it removed. Kids went onto the PB while me and the boss travelled through yarmouth and gorlstone which was less scenic than our previous few days travels!!

After an un enjoyable 2 hour wait a very efficient and skillful doctor relieved me of my foreign body and back on with my holiday.

Yarmouth has many special memories for me and I kinda like its rough edges. Always enjoy my vists and this time ( hospital apart!!) was no different.

Had a meal at the dog track which was a very enjoyable evening, different but recommended.

Taxi back to Stracey after a long eventful day. Taxi driver gave a history lesson on windmill restoration on way home. I nodded enthusiastically pretending I knew what he was banging on about!! Another friend made, thoroughly nice chap.

The morning was glorious and I shared my breakfast with the very tame but demanding goats who were nearly onboard a few times.

Heres some random pics in no particular order.

Can't spin the dinghy one around. I'm a thicko!!

post-33391-0-41302500-1437304257_thumb.j

post-33391-0-73116900-1437304273_thumb.j

post-33391-0-19678400-1437304293_thumb.j

post-33391-0-04571000-1437304590_thumb.j

post-33391-0-46337000-1437304638_thumb.j

• Like 4

On arrival we were told our boat was good to go, which is always great news and the pilot over the river said we could get under the wee bridge. Happy days all round.

So under the arch we sailed with at least 2 inches to spare!! The cruise up to hickling was both magical and emotional as the last time I travelled it , 4 of the crew are no longer with us. It makes you realise how vulnerable we all are, and also how important it is to treasure the good times.

Up to pub with music playing and spirits high. I was in good a place! Got a mooring on the end and tried to set up my fishing tackle but it was too windy. Watched the many dozen wind surfers/ sailors pick up some crazy speed on the broad, looked like fun, if not a bit skilful.

Lovely meal then set off to the quiet public moorings just down river. Caught a couple of fish , chased a few whisky , shuffled a few cards. I was on holiday, I had arrived, i was with family, I really couldn't be happier.

Woke at 6 and was up like a shot , only to find the chap in boat next looked like he had been up for hours!! Had my coffee, fed some ducks, gazed at the beauty, started fishing. The fish were biting but a bit breakfast and we headed for horsey !

Well, someone had pinched the sign telling me I couldn't turn up the end of the small cut!! I had a 50+ metre reverse with a few worried sailies!watchin on but thankfully I never touched anyone. Team work being the key, with all being eyes and fenders!!

A nice chap in a yacht gave me some advice and a nice round of applause and thumbs up when I was eventually facing the correct way !! It was a good wee test for 1st full day!!

My daughter took over the wheel and I sat back and started to unwind, saviouring every minute

Skillful wee pilot she is, she has the perfect temperament for the rivers, never in a hurry. The laddies more technical, good at tight situations but is always sneaking up the revs!!!

I did at one time convince the kids I knew everyone on the broads, that's why they all waved at me, but they've seen through that one now!!!!

I had now been in possession of the boat about 22 hours, where was the time going!!!

• Like 5

We cruised,onto west somerton and had our first game of pool and an early afternoon pint. We had to back at potter for 3 to get through unless we stayed another night, I lost the vote and the through we went!,

It was all too quick but the peace and tranquility up there was a joy. There is much to see on broads and many faviroutes to vist I won't leave it as long to go back through and intentionally left a few wee stretches undiscovered !!

Tide and time allowed us to do the big cruise through yarmouth to st olives A song a dance an eat a drink and a shower each and we were there!!

Only,thing of note was some dude on breydon waters trying to wave me over nearer the posts!, I was right of centre with plenty room for,booth of us with still the centre free, but some folk just get wound up about things!!

I just waved back like he was my long lost friend with my son joining in!!

We made good time and now could settle in for a few days of the calm peace which down south offers.

Me and the boss sat on deck before bedtime and tried to take it all in. We had waited on this holiday for a while and had had a few bad runs of luck in the first six months of the year but it was behind us now. The broads was working its magic!!

Yet again the meal in the pub was 1st class , as was the beer and service.

• Like 4

I envy you so much for getting through that damn Potter gap, we haven't been able to for a good few years, my memories of it are as you describe, have you any photo's of up that end? Have spent many a night on Hickling, mud weighted, or wild moored, you just can't beat it in my opinion, When I was a little girl I was allowed to stay up late fishing with my dad, I remember seeing the mist on the Broads and almost feeling a little bit scared in an exciting sort of way (if you can understand that lol) and although my dad was as nutty as you when it came to dancing on the roof and all sorts, I knew I was safe and any ghost or pirate that happened our way, my dad would give em what for lol 

Beautiful tale, keep it coming  :clap

Grace  :kiss

• Like 2

I envy you so much for getting through that damn Potter gap, we haven't been able to for a good few years, my memories of it are as you describe, have you any photo's of up that end? Have spent many a night on Hickling, mud weighted, or wild moored, you just can't beat it in my opinion, When I was a little girl I was allowed to stay up late fishing with my dad, I remember seeing the mist on the Broads and almost feeling a little bit scared in an exciting sort of way (if you can understand that lol) and although my dad was as nutty as you when it came to dancing on the roof and all sorts, I knew I was safe and any ghost or pirate that happened our way, my dad would give em what for lol 

Beautiful tale, keep it coming  :clap

Grace  :kiss

Hi Grace,

I understand now why you dislike yachts, you think they are all gosts holding up their sheets :naughty:

Joking apart thanks for sharing.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Gracie

I have some pics , well my daughter does from our venture up there, will post them when I'm in possession of them. Glad a few seem to be enjoying my ramblings!

Overall we were all delighted with radiant light. One or two small faults but I've never had a perfect boat, and I missed having a well at the back , but the main space in lounge area was perfect. Toilets and showers were good , probably the best boat I've had. Herbert woods run a tidy ship!! I lost a couple of fender ropes mooring at reedham when a sharp edge caught them and cruised up to potter for a few bits and pieces 2 days later. I mentioned this to one of lads and by the time we were back from lathams it was all repaired. Year after year they impress me.

Had to laugh at some guy in a very beautiful boat at ranworth ( private). On arrival I backed along beside him , slowly without touching him and he was already at the stern to take the ropes from the crew. I thanked him and he grunted something about putting down my mud weight. I hadn't even tied the back yet !,

I returned the next morning after a night on the island and it was the only place left and the exact same happened again!! I think he was the mud weight police. !

He then spent the next 3 hours watching every boat that came near him, telling folk to drop their weight and not sitting down much at all. He appeared to have everything one could want but he didn't seem happy. Certainly not relaxed.

Quite sad really, human nature is a strange beast.

I travelled up and down the ant passed ludham bridge. That part never fails to amaze me. So much is always going on, and I can see why people spend all day around there, the bridge is never 5 mins away from chaos!! And on the river you just never know what is round the bend! I love it, and it is always a challenge to pass a yacht which is only doing 2 miles an hour.

It's been said on here a thousand times I'm sure but some of the yacht crews could really do with a lesson in manners. You slow down , give way to them, try and read their minds, change direction and some don't even have the courtesy to look your way. I'm not talking here about folk fighting their craft in a strong wind, I'm talking casual sailing. It's pure and simple bad manners and ignorance.

Of course the majority do give a nod but many don't .

I just laught it off but I can imagine people cruising for months on end , having a bad day and saying, stuff you yacht I'm coming through!!!

Bought a no.1 of the 50's cd at wroxham ( before even my time!!!) waltzed,with my wife while my son was driving and now the teenagers are partial to Elvis , cliff, bobby Darin and Connie Francis to name a few.

I'm sure these tracks will remind them of this holiday forever. It certainly will me!!

Some of the waterside houses around the broads are just stunning. I can't help but be insanely jealous!! A house at st olaves even had a helicopter in the garden!!!

I would settle for a motor launch!!,

• Like 7