Been back a week

Wonderwall

I love your description of the "mud weight police" at Ranworth. We do sometimes see boats moored stern-on that seem completely oblivious to putting down their mud weight.

You mentioned about yacht crews ... the worst one I encountered was a man on his own who came whizzing up the starboard side of Swan Reflection2 as we were going down the Chet at 3 to 4 mph. Being in that style of boat I had no way of seeing him on my inside until he was level with the front windows. Really dangerous thing to do as I could easily have pulled over towards the bank at any time. I wasn't a long way out either. 

Sorry ... back on topic ... I agree that Ludham Bridge is an interesting place ... hubby tends to let me take the helm at that point!

• Like 1

Had to laugh at some guy in a very beautiful boat at ranworth ( private). On arrival I backed along beside him , slowly without touching him and he was already at the stern to take the ropes from the crew. I thanked him and he grunted something about putting down my mud weight. I hadn't even tied the back yet !,

I returned the next morning after a night on the island and it was the only place left and the exact same happened again!! I think he was the mud weight police. !

He then spent the next 3 hours watching every boat that came near him, telling folk to drop their weight and not sitting down much at all. He appeared to have everything one could want but he didn't seem happy. Certainly not relaxed.

Quite sad really, human nature is a strange beast.

I'm afraid he would have got the same remark that I have to use nowadays:

"I'll throw it in if you'll pull it out in the morning!"

My back just isn't up to it anymore...............

(I attach extra lengths of warp to my fore-warps and they stop the bow from moving just as well as a mud-plug).

• Like 2

We actually cruised up to Womack on 3 different occasions. Once on the final day :-( to eat in the lovely pub up there. So that was six times I passed the island , hoping to get a short term mooring there. But as in my previous few holidays it was always busy with private boats. The same two boats occupying the prime berth on two of the occasions. It was if they were using the " hotbed" technique of one in one out!

It seems a bit unfair but I suppose if I was in there shoes(boats!) I would do the same and take advantage of the rules and regs.!!!

There does seem to be a bit of a " them and us" culture , I may be well wrong, but both parties belong on the broads and I wouldn't like to see the divide drift apart any further.

Womack straithe / common is a fine substitute though, which always has that magical mix of busy but calm. Again , the magic of the broads. Moored for our final night on the thurne , just a right turn from the entrance to Womack. Despite the sadness of handing back the boat next day, and packing away fishing gear for final time, we still had a magical night. Caught some fish and played some cards.

A beautiful but short cruise up the boatyard , all crew together was very enjoyable, despite the reality knowing it was all soon to end( not the end, just a break!!)

The overall joy for me on the broads , is the precious time with my wife and kids. It means so much and is enhanced no end by the atmosphere and scenery which the broads give us.Give everybody I can only imagine.

It holds so many memories of being their when I was a lad, with my grandparents, and mum and dad and sisters. Large family boats with cousins also, chalets with day boats, houseboats , I've experienced the whole lot. A cruiser is just not to be beaten though.

The weather was very kind to us, but that really is a bonus. You don't holiday in the UK expecting Spanish weather. You take what you get and never ever let it get you down if it's poor. There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!!

My wife loved the broads the first time I took her as a courting couple on an Aston boat. I think she loves it more with every vist. She has good taste!!!!!

My kids love it, and time will tell if they carry on the family tradition and venture down in the future with their own families

But hopefully we have a few family holidays left before they fully fly the nest.

Then it will be back to me and Elaine , which again is a treasured thought.

I love to go when the daylight is at it's longest, it really opens your options for the days ahead, with lots of leisure time and still lots of cruising.

I now await the end of summer when we start discussing next years holidays. Of course our family is a team and I've been very lucky the last few years we have chosen the broads. However the option of guaranteed sun and a beach holiday is always on the agenda. I think you will all,be able,to,work out where I hope the vote goes!!

The people of Norfolk really are a pleasure to be around. Even small things like guys in Herbert woods yard coming over and saying " you were here last year!" And again on return shouting " oh no, here's Scotland.

I am missing the people and place everyday. I shall be back!!!

• Like 8

There does seem to be a bit of a " them and us" culture , I may be well wrong, but both parties belong on the broads and I wouldn't like to see the divide drift apart any further.

It is such a shame you felt that way. We have met such a lovely and diverse collection of people over the years on hire boats. They certainly contribute to the whole Broads experience and I really hope the 'thems' are a very small minority.There are a few that need to realise that the hire boaters bring very much needed revenue to an area that's short of money and with just a holiday industry left to sell now the shipbuilding and fishing has all gone...

Well spoken/written Neil. It has been a delight to read all your holiday tales. :clap  :clap  :clap

If your family have any sense at all (and I am sure they have) you will be heading back to Norfolk again ASAP!

cheers Iain.

Thank you for your kind words. Very much appreciated.

I've never really written anything like this before on tinternet, but it was actually quite easy , simply typing my feelings/ experience. My only concern was I was banging on a bit, I'm glad some have enjoyed the casual read of it .

Not sure when I will be back but the plan is to treat them to a week of winter sun and get back to paradise next summer.

Better get the hours in then!! Easier said than done. I'm a self employed sparky, so if anyone needs their waterside homes rewired , I'm your man!!!

cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Well, well, Neil,

You mean there is another bright spark on here! lol I was also a self employed spark from 1983 till health issues put an end to it. I wish your phone to ring often so you can make the bawbees tae return to the Broads, Neil.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

It is such a shame you felt that way. We have met such a lovely and diverse collection of people over the years on hire boats. They certainly contribute to the whole Broads experience and I really hope the 'thems' are a very small minority.There are a few that need to realise that the hire boaters bring very much needed revenue to an area that's short of money and with just a holiday industry left to sell now the shipbuilding and fishing has all gone...

I'm maybe being a tad over critical , I also had very pleasant experiences with both private and hirers.

The broads definitely need both parties for it to prosper.

Every year their appears to at least one other pub closed / boarded up, and really the place can't afford for any more to close.

• Like 2

I'm maybe being a tad over critical , I also had very pleasant experiences with both private and hirers.

The broads definitely need both parties for it to prosper.

Every year their appears to at least one other pub closed / boarded up, and really the place can't afford for any more to close.

No you are right, there are some people out there who will look for any reason to set themselves apart from you be it private/hire, wafi/mafi, English/Scottish or any other thing.

You only get one shot at this and life is too short to be missing out on good people just because they are on the other side of some imaginary line. Just because you step over some closed minded individuals line and get a bad response doesn't mean you should change your attitude, they missed out!

• Like 5

Thoroughly enjoyed your holiday tale Neil

You're right about the us and them in some cases but like in everything else it's the minority.

Over the years we've met some lovely friendly, helpful people, both private and hirers but also a few thoroughly miserable types from both sides.

Our stance on the miserable ones is "well it's their loss"

Thanks for taking us on your journey

• Like 3

I take them as I find them and you get all sorts on the Broads. Catch Phrase from the Film Cool Runnings is "Rise Above It". Great advice and does not spoil your mood. People with Private boats have made a big investment, whether it be a big GP or a small used boat, and like anyone who has invested in something they will be very protective. When you see a Hire boat coming towards you you have no idea if it has an experience crew or complete novices who have just picked up the boat.

Best advice is to take it easy and get used to being able to use the throttle gently and smoothly. Some people seem to have two speeds zero or max and have not managed to smoothly use the Throttle.

Remember there are numpties out there, not that many and they come in both Hire and Private varieties. Just make sure you are not one of them.

:)

• Like 4

My highlights were simply being there. Too many to actually pick a special moment, but getting under the bridge was a first for my (big) kids , so that was nice.

The storm was tremendous, if more than slightly unnerving thinking we may have been adrift a one time. It was, blowin a hoolie , as we say in my local!

Being booked for 10 days and turning it into 12 was a big bonus. The weather was very kind, when it did rain , it chose appropriate times!, thank you!

90 % of our meals out , we ate out almost every night, were excellent.

A very small % of private and yachters (?!!) could do with a wee lesson in how to smile and wave, and show a wee bit respect to those they deem not worthy.

The people of norfolk are a great reflection of our country. I really respond to their ambience.

Herbert Woods staff, have always impressed me, and I will probably hire from them next time.

I'm going to set up a company in norfolk, specialing in needless signs, I will make a fortune!,,,

I hope to take my , well in the future grandkids! , on the broads.

I really believe a vist to the broads, opens your eyes and mind and makes us better people..it's a utopia

This high speed rail track from England to England , should be extended from at least edinburgh to norwich. 2 hours max would be worth the billions getting spent on it I think!!!!!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings folks, I'm sure I will add to them when things come back to me xx

• Like 5

Hi Neil,

Ramble away if you will, you canny beat a guid ramble laddie! :norty: I know exactly where you are coming from regards a Broads holiday. For our family and friends over many years have found it a place of solace to recover from losing family and friends. Pure unadulterated magic IMHO.

cheers Iain

• Like 6

The high speed link to Norwich would be a good Idea, It would be better than the 12 1/2 hours!!!!  it took me to get from Bo'ness to the Broads on Friday

Did you come via Inverness? :naughty: Or more likely the roadworks on the A1 and IF you came the coast route via Berwick, then yes its PITA coming that way as I discovered in May from Linlithgow. Came back the A66 M6 M74 etc...

cheers Iain

Well yes I did come via Inverness but that was 40 years ago when I was at school there,

I came across via the A68 and A697and had a wonderful quiet and quick run through.

I made Scotch Corner on time, it was the journey south of there, that was the problem, it being the first day of the school holidays, it was nose to tail all the way down the A1 coming to a halt many times, yet there were no accidents, it was just a huge amount of traffic  coming to halt at every major road junction and then at Newark the Rain joined in!!

• Like 1