Trolling (Fishing)

Bound2Please

When out yesterday between Bramerton and the new cut, I was alarmed to see 2 two person kayaks going hell for leather along the river, at first sight nothing wrong in this at all. but the front person in each was paddling furiously the rear passenger was trolling behind it. I hate any form of trolling in rivers and lakes, so is this legal. I couldnt report it as neither had a name of number on it to identify it. 

Not being up big time on the bylaws, Is this against them as I hope it is. next time will get a picture as it all passed by to quickly this time to do so

Charlie

Edited by BroadScot
Changed to Fishing for you :-)
  • Like 1

I also believed trolling when rowing to be legal but I could be wrong, I don't see what harm that really causes the fish as surely all you doing is making your bait cover a larger area increasing your chances of finding your target fish at a fairly sedate speed. Not that I have ever tried it myself

There was I hire boat tanking down the yare on friday with a guy sitting on the roof, rod and line out the back, I did make a comment about legality aside good luck at catching anything at that speed pike are pretty lazy and would rather wait for something easier to catch to come along.

• Like 2

There was I hire boat tanking down the yare on friday with a guy sitting on the roof, rod and line out the back, I did make a comment about legality aside good luck at catching anything at that speed pike are pretty lazy and would rather wait for something easier to catch to come along.

Perhaps he was offering the pike a chance to go waterskiing?

• Like 1

The important thing is not to impede other river users and to know how to deal with a pike once you hook one!

Not as easy as it sounds in a kayak though I'd have thought. plus the speed that they was paddling at I suspect the spinners could well foul hook other fish!

Charlie

I wouldn't want to unhook a big Pike in a kayak!

I often unhook Pike in the net over the side of the dinghy if the hooks are easy to remove, but that's a lot more stable than a kayak.

I don't think there is much risk of foul hooking other fish as the noise of a lure would probably scare any non predators away. If they did hook a fish I would assume they would stop to play the fish to the kayak.

There is maybe an assumption these people don't know what they are doing, but trolling can be done at many speeds (the same as retrieving a lure at varying speeds). I am not saying what they were doing was right, but trolling on the Broads does seem to be getting more popular - mainly I suspect so they can cover more ground and try to find the fewer fish that are around. Kayaks also pay less tolls so that might be another reason they are becoming more popular.

Trolling is an art and is not as easy to get right as some might think so you might find a lot of these people never catch anything anyway. The successful ones I have seen do seem to be done at a more modest pace though, so maybe these guys were just off to another patch and chancing it while they were in transit.

Most I have met have always been well mannered and pleasant and appeared fairly competent.

But we all know there are the odd bad apples around! 

• Like 2

Dave, You sound like you know your onions re "trolling" but you cant seriously suggest that others not so knowledgable can't take part in a forum thread ?

I do more reading than I do posting and see a diverse selection of comments and posts, some informative and helpful, others no so much, but this is a forum not an open university course.

I didn't know what trolling was, but have learnt from you........ Isn't that what forums are about. ?

• Like 2

Kayak fishing is here and probably here to stay. Criticised by some but generally by people who have never tried it.

I really have no patience with the angler who sits in his boat, four rods cast out, all at distance and at all four points of the compass meaning that at least two rods are behind the angler, unless he has eyes in the back of his head. No way on this planet can an angler keep an eye on rods that he can't see. On top of that the boat probably moves in the wind, or with the tide, meaning that lines become slack which means that bite detection will be poor. Some of these anglers rely on electric butt alarms but those alarms depend on taut lines. It is people who fish like that that cause the problem we have of steeply declining pike stocks in Broadland, not folk trolling from a kayak. Trolling ensures taut lines, the fact that the kayak is under way ensures a quick strike. If I were a pike I know which method I'd rather be caught by! Before people condemn a perfectly legal fishing method they really should try it, or at least  research it.

• Like 1

Before people condemn a perfectly legal fishing method they really should try it, or at least  research it.

I wasnt condemning it Peter, I askd if it was legal on the broads thats all. Here at Clacton they actually have quite a large kayak club here, so yes I would say its here to stay mate.

Charlie

I wasnt condemning it Peter, I askd if it was legal on the broads thats all. Here at Clacton they actually have quite a large kayak club here, so yes I would say its here to stay mate.

Charlie

I hate any form of trolling in rivers and lakes, so is this legal.

Not being up big time on the bylaws, Is this against them as I hope it is. 

Sorry, Charlie, I misunderstood the point that you were making, silly old me! If ever you are down on Oulton Broad then feel free to come and borrow my kayak. Word of warning though, it's not one of those big sea-going jobs, top body weight of about thirteen stones. 

I've been lure fishing now for sixty years. During that time I have foul hooked several bream and even pike, a problem with a moving bait and not unique to fishing from a kayak. There are risks with all fishing methods, we can only do our best to minimise casualties. Certainly far less of a risk to pike stocks than the appalling bite indication and fish handling skills shown by far too many people.

I see there is a new outlet on the Broads for us pikers:

http://www.bass-online.co.uk

Okay bloke, fished with him on Fritton Lake a few years ago. He blanked, I didn't!! Be good if he hires out kayaks!!

• Like 1

I am a bit big and unfit for kayaking these days Peter, but thanks for the offer. My first piking experience was in about 1956/7 winter in the deep cold november/december days. Using roach dead baits in South Weald big lake, I have to say my PB pike was caught not long after that first trip 15Lb ish never weighed..... Sadly though that lake no longer holds the very big pike it once did, due to over fishing etc. Over the years I have had many jacks from the broads, but not the biggy ones, even though have fished with those that have had them out. I do shudder at how some are handled even by so called experts. I dont however fish for them now adays as they are in my opinion a species under threat.

Charlie

• Like 1