Game Shooting - Documentory

Cartridges had a massive price hike last Autumn.

Didn't they just

Andrewcook - Cartridge prices are probably the lowest single cost where game shooting is concerned.  Pheasants may well be a cheap Sunday dinner on the table, getting them there oven ready is far from cheap unless you are buying them from a shop / market

Game shooting, one has to factor in the following costs, the minimum one can expect to fork out for a commercial 'Paid Day' game shoot of say 200 birds is around £1000:00 each for eight guns.  Add to that cartridges about 50 per gun, B'fast en route, road diesel, Dinner on way home adds up to what? £1'100:00-ish each.  Your allocation of birds = 25, so each single bird has cost you the gun £44:00 !

Go on bigger higher end market more expensive shoots (Easily done), add in the cost of overnight hotel accommodation for two nights and before you know it each bird is costing you around the £100:00 mark.  Imagine paying that at your local market?

Getting on a syndicate shoot is harder than obtaining hens teeth or rocking horse manure.  I've been in two over the last twenty two years, the last one cost me about £1'100:00 for eight shoots - sadly we had to close it down a couple of years ago but we might get it back next year, the bag on each day was up to around seventy five birds

The above is the obvious reason as to why I don't participate much in game shooting - financially it's out of my league.  Especially recently and on going as I'm doing my level best to contribute to Daughters wedding next year. Also we have overdue open wallet surgery for 'B.A' next month for her out of water AMP - Always a financial joy is that one!

Griff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New venue for our shooting team yesterday, - Nocton or more precisely 'Wasps Nest' a six thousand estate part of a thirty eight thousand acre estate (Owned by Sir James Dyson)  Fifteen of us guns on a simulated driven game day.  Shooting in teams of three, I always enjoy having a loader - proper treat for me is that one.  Six thousand clays - the new biodegradable type - First time I have seen / shot at these.  Great day out, excellent hospitality, I expended three hundred and eighty cartridges (21g  7:5's fibres)

Griff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was that a flurry? We shot a flurry last weekend. But our cages are spaced further apart, 3 guns at a time. Except for the 4 trap Promatic trailer out in front nothing infront or behind so you can turn correctly barrels vertical and kill behind you. Good practice for Partridge.

Not that there will be many Partridge in Norfolk this season as all the poults ordered are still in France due to Bird Flu and the need to protect Norfolk's Poultry Trade.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What a day.

Went to Gimsthorpe shooting estate near to Bourne.  This was a cooperate invitation only day. Sixty bird competition sporting clay shoot, hosted by Omex fertilisers.  The hospitality was first class with everything provided one could wish for all foc including clays and cartridges.  (The hospitality Deck Totty was well impressive) There were forty teams of four guns competing. Griffs Growlers were in attendance aiming to better our historical rivals Bobs Boyz.  At the end of the day we had managed to secure victory over our rivals.  Normally we manage to snatch defeats from the jaws of victory.  Even better than that we came second overall in the flush event  I'm well chuffed to say the least. 

We even went round the course again in the afternoon after the competition event just cos we could

This Sunday is our normal local clay shoot, then Wednesday our monthly evening shoot event before next week when we go again up against our arch rivals in another competition event, this time to raise funds for the Air Ambulance, not a cheap day out by any means

Griff

• Like 4

Hi Griff this is very interesting on your leisure activities are you the Captain of the Gun Shooting Team and have you won many Trophy's ? How do you find the time in all what you do Boating and Maintenance /Dog Training and Work plus your social life as you must be be fit and very active as to what you do Griff 

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Griff this is very interesting on your leisure activities are you the Captain of the Gun Shooting Team and have you won many Trophy's ? How do you find the time in all what you do Boating and Maintenance /Dog Training and Work plus your social life as you must be be fit and very active as to what you do Griff 

And flying Spitfires...

ask him what he does in his spare time - nothing he doesn't have spare time.

You're not far wrong there, many a true word spoken in jest.  If / when I have a weekday off then I have to repay it with Saturday work to keep the diary on track.  Work diary potentially now booked up to 19th Dec :default_icon_eek:

This Sunday I shall attend our local clay shoot and go there / back on the Mighty Tiger otherwise goodness knows when I would be getting the leg over next

Yes Andrew, I am the Captain of Griffs Growlers, to date we have had a few second places but not won any trophy's but we live in hope

Griff

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

ask him what he does in his spare time - nothing he doesn't have spare time.

You're not far wrong there, many a true word spoken in jest.  If / when I have a weekday off then I have to repay it with Saturday work to keep the diary on track.  Work diary potentially now booked up to 19th Dec :default_icon_eek:

You forgot the list of jobs Mrs G has for you at home.

• 1 month later...

Today midday through to 1900 I was at a family day out at a clay shoot with Hog roast, bar, marquee the works in a field by a quarry.  This is a yearly event, its totally free too hence invitation only.  Hosted by the quarry owners (Mate of mine)

'Griffs Growlers' were to be in action in a four man team flush 50 bird event (We came second)

The main event was a 40 bird competition sporting discipline, ten clays at four stands

I had MrsG, daughter, three grandsons and Purdey at the event.  Charlie grandson who is four had his first go with a :410 and loved it.  I also let him fire four cartridges off in my 12g game gun with me bracing the stock for him - I was as pleased as he was.  Purdey behaved impeccably (As did MrsG) The weather was perfect if a little too hot

Each year there is cup awarded to the winner of the individual competition.  The winning gun gets his/her name engraved on it then keeps it for a year.

Said cup will next week proudly sport:-  Top gun winner 2022 - Charlie Griffin

Gettin - well chuffed.  My score was thirty seven out of forty.  I actually hit thirty nine out of forty but was docked two points for two spent cartridges missing the blasted bin on the only stand where they had to go in the bin

I'll sort out some photo's / vids after our return from the rivers

Griff

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Followed by a ninety six gun salute Which I have organised for seven guns to perform 

Remember the timing that was always used by the Warrant Gunner on a cruiser, when firing a Royal Salute :

If I wasn't a gunner I wouldn't be here, fire ONE!

If I wasn't a gunner I wouldn't be here, fire TWO!

And on, to ninety-six . . . . . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Purdey dog had her first full day out this season in the field on a two hundred bird game shoot today.

Sadly, not with me, (I was chin down derrière up tiling floors) but with my Boy.

Apparently, she was not rusty at all and had a great time.  She is now spark out, not one toy on the lounge rug and refused an evening walk!

Griff

• Like 2