Moorings

1Drab1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Sadly I'm moored probably as far away as I can probably get :( so I can't enjoy it anyway now :smiley-angry047:

You may be moored about as far away as you probably can get, but even if you were not, Orca is on the tall side for that old bridge. :unsure: This is what friends with low air draft boats are for :)

• Like 3

Back on topic :rolleyes: I'm with Speleologist, you can't beat wild mooring or mud weighting, the great thing about the Broads is that most of the time you have a choice of being moored up at a pub with loads of other like minded people or completely alone on a wild mooring. Had a good few nights moored at How Hill and Cockshoot Dyke, had some great converations with some really lovely people, great for going for walks and boat watching. Then there's a few wild moorings on the Ant, absolutely magical at night sitting outside with a glass of something nice. The one thing we rarely do is moor at a pub for the night, not because of noise or anything but I don't really think you get a true insight into how beautiful and magical the Broads truly are until you try wild mooring or mud weighting. I defy anyone if they tied to trees on the cruise up to Coltishall from Wroxham, sit outside the Boat, get the feeling you were the only people on the planet, all you can hear is fish jumping and wild life rustling in the bushes, not to feel so totally and completely relaxed, breathtaking, you don't get that sitting outside a pub ;)

Grace

p.s Should have added, we do support the Broads pubs, every holiday, every lunch time, a different pub :naughty:

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Back on topic :rolleyes: I'm with Speleologist, you can't beat wild mooring or mud weighting, the great thing about the Broads is that most of the time you have a choice of being moored up at a pub with loads of other like minded people or completely alone on a wild mooring. Had a good few nights moored at How Hill and Cockshoot Dyke, had some great converations with some really lovely people, great for going for walks and boat watching. Then there's a few wild moorings on the Ant, absolutely magical at night sitting outside with a glass of something nice. The one thing we rarely do is moor at a pub for the night, not because of noise or anything but I don't really think you get a true insight into how beautiful and magical the Broads truly are until you try wild mooring or mud weighting. I defy anyone if they tied to trees on the cruise up to Coltishall from Wroxham, sit outside the Boat, get the feeling you were the only people on the planet, all you can hear is fish jumping and wild life rustling in the bushes, not to feel so totally and completely relaxed, breathtaking, you don't get that sitting outside a pub ;)

Grace

p.s Should have added, we do support the Broads pubs, every holiday, every lunch time, a different pub :naughty:

Grace, for you to say this it's clear you don't remember the broads pub's of old, they used to be a large part of the beauty that was/is the broads. Before they all became sanitised by the pubco chains, each one would have individual character and charm, they would be filled with locals and holiday makers alike making for really great nights listening to the stories that every old broadsman would know. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Mowjo said:

OK! slap me with a fish if you want, but is Drab asking for the best place to moor up, or dood he mean the best Marinas to moor???,

A bit of both mowjo all the comments have been helpful just wanted to visit some others people's favourites and experience why they love it so much

Ah Drab! now we have a whole other topic with Marinas, as it all depends on what part of the Broads you want to be on and what facility's you want, for me I've always been on the Ant around Stalham, I love the river Ant and our Marina at Broadsedge has everything including plenty of space for you boat unlike some that cram them in, it's not the cheapest Marina but you get a lot for your money including CCTV and security barriers at the entrance, I live in Oulton Broad and when I first moved here a few years back I got moorings at the big main one here, within three weeks my boat had damage and three or four times I couldn't get back into my mooring because they were packed in so tight the other boats had moved and I couldn't get in without damaging mine or other boats, after a lot of Hoo Ha, I got a refund and moved next door, all good for a couple of months then I had two new full fuel tanks stolen, and a couple of boats had break ins and outboards stolen, my best advice is no matter what I say or anyone else says, is visit a Marina a couple of times and speak to a few people that actually  moor there, just because I love Broadsedge dosn't mean you will and that goes for any Marina, but this lot here will point you in the right direction,,

Frank,,,,,

• Like 4

Sorry about the above heading, I can't seem to get rid of it!

Mowjo - Drab is asking about overnight moorings and places to see as he is hiring. Mind you, after the enthusiastic responses to his enquiry, he might be tempted to buy his own boat one day! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3 February 2016 at 2:35 PM, vanessan said:

Sorry about the above heading, I can't seem to get rid of it!

Mowjo - Drab is asking about overnight moorings and places to see as he is hiring. Mind you, after the enthusiastic responses to his enquiry, he might be tempted to buy his own boat one day! 

Yes I've been looking at boats we are going to hire this year but you never know what next year will bring 

For me, the best moorings are not the popular, near the pub/shops/loos etc. moorings... Give me out of the way; peace and quiet and a nice view... There are several lovely places that meet our needs - just as long as we can get the dogs off for a constitutional... Ideally a walk!

We love Horsey Dyke, and the moorings through White Slea; Catfield Dyke; Cockshoot; to name a few...