Speed cameras

clive

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Not many people use them because contrary to what a lot of people believe, "cruise control" systems actually INCREASE fuel consumption.  I found this out when i drove from here (East Dorset) to Brundall to pick up Lightning. I set the cruise control as soon as we got on to the non stop A31 dualcarraigeway, and only switched it off for services etc, BUT did`nt use it on the return journey. The journey up, saw an average 43 mpg, whereas the return journey WITHOUT it, saw 51 mpg. I`ve not used it since.

Tsk, tsk ... that's nothing to do with your cruise control, the clue is in the text of your post.  "The journey up saw an average of 43mpg".  Obviously on the way back you were going down, and accordingly using less fuel.  :party: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Have to disagree with you there Darlin, SPEED DONT KILL but some idiots that speed in the wrong places/times quite probably do!

Charlie xx xx:kiss:hardhat:

I "liked" Labrador's previous post because I completely agree with his comment  "Speed does kill FACT, in any accident, the higher the speed the more likelihood of a fatality, FACT."

I once witnessed an accident where a child (pedestrian) was killed by a car traveling at 50mph in a 40 mph limit.

Ok, it may still have been a fatal accident at 40mph, but the chance of survival would certainly have been better.

The statistics for survival decrease exponentially as speed increases.

(.....and thirty years ago, I was convicted of speeding at 38mph in a 30mph limit on a country lane, and it was right. Thank God I've never hit anyone, let alone caused injury or death.)

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Not many people use them because contrary to what a lot of people believe, "cruise control" systems actually INCREASE fuel consumption.  I found this out when i drove from here (East Dorset) to Brundall to pick up Lightning. I set the cruise control as soon as we got on to the non stop A31 dualcarraigeway, and only switched it off for services etc, BUT did`nt use it on the return journey. The journey up, saw an average 43 mpg, whereas the return journey WITHOUT it, saw 51 mpg. I`ve not used it since.

Did you happen to notice which way the wind was blowing and how much on each journey? I've seen similar differences on each leg of a journey to Hillingdon  from here in Norwich and back, using cruise in both directions. My experience is that CC actually helps fuel economy,

It`s to do with the way the car accelerates to the speed you set. When you change gear in manual, you change at an optimum time, but when in cruise control, you CAN`T change gear, or the c/c will drop out automatically. Therefore, when i was in 6th gear and switched to cruise control, my car acelerated very quickly. My car will NEVER accelerate as quick in 6th gear while operating the accelerater. so you use more fuel, as the engine IS`NT in the optimum gear. My car is a Peugeot 407 deisel, and the same thing was apparent on my brothers VW Passat. A good friend of mine at work told me his Ford Fiesta is exactly the same too. Cruise control is great when on a long straight level road for a hundred miles or more, but for British roads, it`s a complete waste of time IMHO.

Somewhere we`ve had this discussion before i think?.

What makes me laugh is when they give out percentage figures for accidents in certain circumstances. Just picking numbers out of the air, 47% due to this, 59% due to that, 67% due to the other etc etc etc. Somebody a few years back actually did a calculation of all the accidents over a given period, and added up al the "due to" factors. It worked out, adding up the percentages "due to", there were something like 300% of all road traffic accidents "due to something". In other words, ading up the percentages meant there were around 3 times the number of accidents that actually happened.  It`s amazing how you can b......t people into believing what you want, just by throwing bogus percentage figures into the equasion.  I wish i could remember where i read it, i would post it on here, though some would simply not believe it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Labrador said:

So you agree with speeding in the right place? Where pray is the right place? Speed limits aren't there for the hell of it.

Speed does kill FACT, in any accident, the higher the speed the more likelihood of a fatality, FACT.

SPEED doesnt kill fact ...its the idiots who do it and cant handle what they are driving/riding that cause accidents.... or speeding past school and the like.....  I have seen so called sensible people doing 40 in a 60mph limit then hit a 30mph limit schools old people etc about still doing 40 mph ...I in fact slow down to well below 30mph in such places and even down to 15mph near schools when limit is 30 mph....  But on an open road i learnt to drive the national speed limit sign then meant NO SPEED LIMIT and we knew how to over take. now i see so many instances of bad decision over taking, and so much under taking on motor ways and the like its no wonder there are now so many more accidents. I repeat its not SPEED that kills its the hundreds of thousands of bad drivers on the roads these days... Dont get me started on indicators

Charlie

• Like 4

With all the nanny state supporters around, maybe we should call for people to be locked up because they walked down by the sea in rough weather.  Or lock people up for not using a zebra crossing when crossing the road. Or lock people up for sky diving because it`s dangerous.

The simple fact is SPEED DOES NOT KILL. It`s the misuse of speed in inapropriate places and conditions, and the halfwit drivers who think they`re Lewis Hamilton, or riders who think they`re Valentino Rossi etc etc. I`ve broken the speed limit probably everyday i`ve been riding and driving, but only where it`s safe to do so. The diference is, i have faith in my own ability to decide when and where i go faster than the law says in safety.

Not everyone needs to be told by government and authority how they can be safe, Get real and get over it. And before anybody wants to have a whinge, i can garuntee EVERYBODY on this forum has broken the speed limit at some time.  Let he who is without sin cast the first stone as the book says?.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s to do with the way the car accelerates to the speed you set. When you change gear in manual, you change at an optimum time, but when in cruise control, you CAN`T change gear, or the c/c will drop out automatically. 

Ah, now I have an automatic car, and when I turn on the cruise control the car will change gear by itself if necessary.  Let's suppose, for example, that I'm in top gear on the motorway, but then start to climb a long slow hill and ideally should change gear downwards.  On a manual car, the cruise control would flip out if you make that change.  My car simply changes gear and keeps on going.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Ah, now I have an automatic car, and when I turn on the cruise control the car will change gear by itself if necessary.  Let's suppose, for example, that I'm in top gear on the motorway, but then start to climb a long slow hill and ideally should change gear downwards.  On a manual car, the cruise control would flip out if you make that change.  My car simply changes gear and keeps on going.

Yeah, but on a manual box, because you`re in 6th gear, the cruise control makes the injection system pump in a lot more fuel to keep up the same pace, yet if i was`nt in cruise control, i could`nt accelerate anywhere near as quick no matter how far i pushed the throttle down.  It`s a bit weird to tell the truth.

The wife's Audi keeps the cruise control on when you change up/down.  Great feature and new since the previous model.  It will also apply the brakes if needed.

My car is automatic and the cruise control is a far smoother experience, but will not apply the brakes as opposed to my previous car which did on an auto box.

Plenty of permutations!

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Not everyone needs to be told by government and authority how they can be safe, Get real and get over it. And before anybody wants to have a whinge, i can guarantee EVERYBODY on this forum has broken the speed limit at some time.  Let he who is without sin cast the first stone as the book says?

Yes, Neil, I did "cast the first stone", as I clearly mentioned in my previous post.

...and since then I've witnessed a child's accident made fatal by speed.

With all due respect, you are missing the crucial point, it's not just a question of your safety, it's that of innocent people in front of you.

Why is it so difficult? There is a LAW!  Why not OBEY it?

Why do so many feel that they know better and should be allowed to do exactly what the see fit - and to hell with the rest ?

We, every damned one of us have a responsibility to the wider society, and for very good reason!

• Like 3

SPEED KILLS,this is why 20mph speed limits are beginning to gradually be introduced in urban areas.

A person hit by a vehicle at 30mph is 7 times more likely to be killed than at 20mph. At 20mph there is a 99 percent chance you won't kill them. The stopping distance at 20mph is twice that of 20mph.

SPEED KILLS.