Hm Ships / Mtb102 / Nbn

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

That aside, a hugely courageous seaman, in my opinion, even by Norfolk standards.  

Indeed JM, you could say, he then by modern standards, boldly went, where no man had been before !

cheersIain

20 hours ago, BroadScot said:

captain-cook-whitby-1-777x437.jpg

This reminds me of the film, The Eagle has Landed, in which MTB 102 played a starring role, and which paid for her original restoration.

The American colonel, trying to encourage one of his young soldiers before they attack, says "Son, when this is all over, pigeons are going to crapping on statues of you all over the Goddammed State of Nebraska!"

• Like 2

That original restoration was perhaps not all that was hoped for. For example her decks were clad in ply. leaving the old decks in place. That inevitably allowed rot to develop that was subsequently costly to repair. The plus was that it kept her afloat at a time when public interest  was being developed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

That original restoration was perhaps not all that was hoped for.

It was paid for by the film company so that she could appear in the film, so it was not what "we" would call a restoration. There is no doubt though that it saved her, at the time, from just becoming a sunken hulk like all the rest.

I have always regretted that I didn't get involved with MTB 102, during those years that she was in Brundall. I feel that I should have done. I suppose I was too involved trying to save the Albion at the time!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

They were saying the outer layer of planking on the hull needs replacing, apparently there is an oilcloth under that that is allowing rot to develop.

That's most interesting. These boats were built of double diagonal construction, which included a sheet of oiled canvas between the two skins. The bottoms were often triple diagonal, and a lot of them were built in the sheds upside down, for ease of construction.

As she was Vosper's prototype her planking is almost certainly teak. In which case, if they are only now starting to notice rot in the canvas membrane, then it has lasted a very long time.

I discussed this with Richard on Thursday.  Apparently the oil cloth is in place to aid hull integrity and water tightness.  It is fitted from the keel to just above the waterline.  Their idea is to remove the outer planking in its entirety, inspect / renew / replace any timber as required, replace the oil cloth with new stuff, then re-plank using mahogany (Maybe mahogany - jury still not confirmed), whatever type of timber they decide on, they are going to need an awful lot of it and a barrel load of copper roves

Griff

Hi Griff,

That all sounds very expensive, and the work is going to be long term. Will bronze gripfast nails also be used with the copper roves for those planks that have major stress on them?

There is a good potted history of MTB102 on the National Historic Ships UK website (for the benefit of the forum members):-

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/486/mtb-102

http://mtb102.com/

Regards

Alan

MTB102 is 79 years old and has never been restored in the accepted sense of the word. She is tender in places and needs attention every winter. She had a rough passage back from the ADLS cruise to Ramsgate earlier this year that has caused problems with fastenings around midships. The bilge pumps cope very well and after a few days at rest things improve. We are expecting to take her to Portsmouth for the Centenary celebrations of the formation of Coastal Forces.

Much has been said about the state of 102. There is only one person who really knows her and he tends to ignore most of what is said. The decks that were replaced for the film "Eagle Has Landed" were not of the best quality  and were not fitted as would normally be expected. About half of them have been replaced since to a much higher standard and when funds permit the rest will be replaced.

It is a constant battle keeping this boat operational and she does remarkably well and is a testament to the skills and standards of Vospers before and during the WWII years. She has already sailed close to 1000mls this year and weather permitting will sail another 500 before she has a rest this coming winter. It's what keeps the old lady alive and kicking well. We love her!

Richard.

• Like 11

Richard, it was truly a pleasure being onboard during that play with the Navy lads, something I will remember for the rest of my life, that is certain. The smiles from yourself and the rest of your crew was testament to how enjoyable an experience it was, and I bet the old girl loved it as much as we did.

• Like 3