Great Norfolk Broads Adventures - Russell Thomson

Broads01

I've been watching all of these too. Wouldn't want to give too much away but his ramblings from the dark side are very amusing. And he was quite star struck to meet the Rascal!

It would be great if he joined the forum. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwanR said:
10 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I've been watching all of these too. Wouldn't want to give too much away but his ramblings from the dark side are very amusing. And he was quite star struck to meet the Rascal!

It would be great if he joined the forum. 

I did try to invite him to join last year, perhaps he may now consider saying hello.:wave

• Like 1

Well, he certainly has his own character and style which is great but there have been some instances perhaps where dare I say things have been copied - from music I use, terminology I've coined and tips I have given. Still, having met the chap and had a few beers I can say in person he is decent and means no harm and indeed had not been for me and my initial videos would not have got the confidence to come boating alone let alone then do videos.

• Like 7

I was going to say the same. I agree there is commonality with the Robin's style but big differences too. Russell is almost unashamedly unedited and sometimes repetitive in his ramblings but he's very human for that. Also he's fairly inexperienced Broads-wise and sharing his learning as he goes. 

• Like 3

I was initially a bit critical too...  I assumed the title 'admirals blog' was a bit of an attempt to outdo Robin.  However, I've revised that opinion as he seems a generous and genuine guy (Robin's still The Captain though).   I've realised how much effort and pre-planning such videos involve. I would have liked to produce some sort of video of our recent holiday but found that I just wasn't focused enough to do so. 

• Like 2

Have to say I enjoy both Robin's and Russell's videos immensely. I think there not really comparable. Their styles are so very different, Robin produces a slick and professional film that is often thought provoking while Russel has a more "high buddy" feel about them and boy can he waffle! Must mention BryanW's videos as well, very different, no commentary but beautifully filmed and engaging.

Fred

• Like 5

Thank you Fred.

I have to admit that the credit for most of the movie sections of my videos must go to my wife, I concentrate on the stills and do all the titles and editing.

I have to agree that Russel does waffle a bit but his videos are still very entertaining.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

I watched this morning and enjoyed every bit as much as the previous trip. The format is typically Russell - unashamedly lengthy and unedited (1 hour 20 minutes just for boat takeover day), lots of river footage, lots of ramblings and the usual drunken bit at the end of the day! His trip was October 14th-21st and the titles hint of a difficult night at Surlingham Broad still to come (was that the week of storm Brian?). 

Watched Russell's latest this morning ... boy can he waffle !  but very enjoyable  with lots of river footage .   Looking forward to the rest of his "adventure"   as I seem to recall from a facebook post he mudweighted on Surlingham broad at height of storm Brian !

• Like 1

'Will be watching this when I get a chance later in the week as I only had time to watch the first 30 minutes this morning. It's the same week that we were out and the Monday was extremely windy.I also want to see who gets the prize! He passed us on day two and I did give him a wave but didn't call out!

• Like 1